Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Mar 2008 at 8:43 AM
Default Unusually High Roof
I created this house and I didn't use the auto roof feature but instead did it manually. But the roof to me looks too high. Is it meant to be that way?

I thought I would use the roof angle cheat and this what I got if I set it to the defualt angle(45 degrees) I didn't use the cheat for the original roof:

Any help is appreciated. I have all expansions and Stuff packs.

I added the dormer after the roof was added.

You can upload my creations with your sim or lot or neighbourhood but only to free sites, not the exchange and no paysites. You can credit too if you wish. If a creation I have created has custom content from another artist please ask them for permission first to upload with your neighbourhood.
Advertisement
Knitting fiend
retired moderator
#2 Old 17th Mar 2008 at 9:24 AM
Moving to build forum so the builders can lend a hand.

"Evil genius is still genius." Asura NPC GW2
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Mar 2008 at 9:56 AM
Thanks!

You can upload my creations with your sim or lot or neighbourhood but only to free sites, not the exchange and no paysites. You can credit too if you wish. If a creation I have created has custom content from another artist please ask them for permission first to upload with your neighbourhood.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 17th Mar 2008 at 6:16 PM Last edited by niol : 10th Apr 2008 at 1:34 PM.
Have you checked whether the file userStartup.cheat file (@ "...\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Config") if any was somehow altered with the roof angle cheat activated to set roof with an angle larger than the 45* ?

Linkage for high roof issues:
Miscellaneous - Unusually High Roof
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=277895
Technical Issues - Roof Glich
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=281124
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 18th Mar 2008 at 8:53 AM Last edited by scampy1 : 18th Mar 2008 at 9:00 AM.
I can't see a userStartup.cheat file. All I can see is a userProps.xml, VideoCapture.ini and a broadcast.ini file in that folder.

I tried a house that was smaller in width and I didn't get the higher roof but when I built a house that was the same width or bigger I got the higher roof. Weird

Mad Poster
#6 Old 18th Mar 2008 at 9:19 AM
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 18th Mar 2008 at 10:04 AM

I thought I might do A comparison pic of sizes of houses to show the different heights of roofs. The house on the left is 4x7 and the house on the right is 6x6 squares. So it maybe something to do with the dimensions of the house. I did remove the dormer but it made no difference. I also rebuilt the house on another lot without the dormer and got the same result.

I might remove the dormer then use the roof cheat and just not include the dormer. The only reason I included the dormer was cause it made the house look better.

Thanks for your help by the way!

Mad Poster
#8 Old 18th Mar 2008 at 5:21 PM Last edited by niol : 18th Mar 2008 at 5:45 PM.
I guess you can try to use a new custom folder (the "EA Games" folder in "My document" folder) to test if the roof will be that high in that copy first.

How to get a new one: just move the present "EA Games" folder to somewhere else but not inside "My document" folder or the game programme folder or its subdirectories.

The game will regenerate a new custom folder for you. May use it to test the roof again.

if so, then probably, you may wanna back-up the custom folders you're using and reinstall the game.
But before that, you may check this file or copy its content here.
The file is globalStartup.cheat @ our game's programme folder "...\EA GAMES\The Sims 2\TSData\Res\Config"

If not, then the custom folder (the "EA Games" folder in "My document" folder) you're working this lot is likely with some problems to be identified later. You may try the followings first

a. may use "search" or "find" feature in operating system to scan through the custom folder for "userStartup" or "userStartup.cheat".

b. may try to think of when the roof started to behave like that and what you might have installed at that time if any.
If some or more, may try to single out the downloads by dividing your downloads in halves everytime in your single-out. May test both halves for certainty.

c. If it's not about the downloads, then may try the following to see if they might be related.
0. may use a back-up copy to test to fix such custom folder.
1. may delete all .cache files you can find in it. I don't expect there'll any in the downloads folder.
2. may delete files in the "Thumbnails" folder.
3. any suggestion, anyone?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 19th Mar 2008 at 7:54 AM Last edited by scampy1 : 19th Mar 2008 at 10:30 AM.
The only thing I can think of is that freetime might have done something when I installed it. Thanks again for your help!

I found this thread at the official site.
http://bbs.thesims2.ea.com/communit...dde528e40439b53

Here are the dimensions for the house on a 3x3:

foundation:

1st floor:

2nd floor:

If someone could kindly recreate it and see if they get the high roof I would really appreciate it. I seem to get the high roof when I use 6 squares on wall.

I want to see if someone else gets the same result before I try what niol suggested. I don't like fiddling with files.

Instructor
#10 Old 19th Mar 2008 at 4:53 PM
scampy, look in the following location for a userStartup.cheat

(My) Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Config

look in the following locations for an edited version of globalStartup.cheat

C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2\TSData\Res\Config
C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 University\TSData\Res\Config
C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Nightlife\TSData\Res\Config
C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Open For Business\TSData\Res\Config
C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Pets\TSData\Res\Config
C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Seasons\TSData\Res\Config
C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Bon Voyage\TSData\Res\Config
C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 FreeTime\TSData\Res\Config

Check for any instance of roofslopeangle and delete it

It is possible that one or more of your lot templates may have become corrupted. Check the last changed date for each of the lot templates in the following locations:

C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2\TSData\Res\LotTemplates
C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 University\TSData\Res\LotTemplates
C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Nightlife\TSData\Res\LotTemplates
C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Open For Business\TSData\Res\LotTemplates
C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Pets\TSData\Res\LotTemplates
C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Seasons\TSData\Res\LotTemplates
C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Bon Voyage\TSData\Res\LotTemplates
C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 FreeTime\TSData\Res\LotTemplates

if everything looks right - then it is possible that you are looking at a general game corruption either in the game's core files such as your neightbourhood templates (customised neighbourhood templates would be a likely source here) or the game's main working parts - this will most likely require a re-install to correct.

it is also possible that the help system may have become corrupted is some manner so that the portion dealing with the roofslopeangle cheat is being read as a command rather than being treated as a text string - also would require a re-install to correct.

I have only one God, Choice. If you remove the right to choose from any equation, how have you improved the world?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 20th Mar 2008 at 10:18 AM Last edited by scampy1 : 20th Mar 2008 at 10:34 AM.
To everyone who helped: Thanks so much for your help. But I have solved my problem so far! I wanted to test everything before I did an uninstall and reinstall thank god I did! I had the invisible driveway from here: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=90875 on the lot. I removed it then deleted the roofs and added them again manually. Problem solved. Roofs seem to be back to normal! So this driveway must cause a conflict somewhere. I downloaded it a long time ago but never used it since my sim never have cars and this is the first time I was going to upload a house with a driveway will test invisible driveway from: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=244021 and see if I get the same result. If not I will upload the house with a driveway. Thanks again to everyone for you much appreciated help!

P.S thanks beosboxboy for posting in both threads! And sorry niol I should have followed your advice and moved the downloads folder. Next time I will follow your advice. I just didn't think it was my downloads since I haven't installed anything new since a month ago and this problem never occurred before then again I never use driveways.

Mad Poster
#12 Old 20th Mar 2008 at 11:56 AM Last edited by niol : 20th Mar 2008 at 12:47 PM.
beosboxboy,

Thanks for your post, coz from it, I've learnt more cheat locations...

scampy1,

frillen's one is what I prefer to use if I haven't my own already.
http://www.sims2you.dk/downloads.as...4&sorter=nyeste
(http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=244066)

roddyaleixo's one was not compressed, so the package file size is huge like >1Mb while it could have been compressed and trimmed down to ~1-3kb.

WitchyWoman's one is just a cloned object with both original recolour textures still contained, and so its file size is still unnecessarily big like >700kb while it is unnecessary to have an extra object of default replacement for such problem.

A simple recolour with a compressed colourless texture is sufficient for the cause and file-wise.
Interestingly, Frillen even reduced the texture size to minimise the txtr file size, squeezing the last few bits of the juice. :D

I don't think roddyaleixo's invisible recolour of the driveway could cause a problem like that.
Yet, I'm unsure if or how the Maxis driveway object might cause the high-roof problem you've had.

A wild guess is probably the Maxis driveway object could hold the story/level grid layer or could somehow affect the setting for the roof tool roof "ceiling" height (the another ceiling apart from the story/level grid layer ).
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 21st Mar 2008 at 4:21 AM
The odd thing is I have the maxis driveway on the lot now(the brick version) and no high roof. I wonder if roddyaleixo's driveway conflicts with freetime maybe?

Thanks for Frillian's link I knew there was another invisible driveway somewhere but couldn't remember who the creator was!

Mad Poster
#14 Old 21st Mar 2008 at 12:02 PM
scampy1,

roddyaleixo's invisible recolour of the driveway is just a normal Maxis object recolour and it has only graphical values or commands. The involved files can at most affect the same default graphical files only, and in other words, it should only affect the driveway presentation in the game unless the recolour contains corrupted data that can be recognised by the game and that in turns happens to affect the roof presentation or the roof tool or the related.
WitchyWoman's one would appear to have a much higher likelihood to cause that.

Anyway, to confirm if it's really that recolour causes the problem, may you try to put it back into your downloads to test that out to ensure it's really the cause in your game copy?

I also wanna know have it confirm if you can try that.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#15 Old 21st Mar 2008 at 12:14 PM
I will re download it and test it tomorrow to make sure. And I will let you know.

Mad Poster
#16 Old 21st Mar 2008 at 5:15 PM
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#17 Old 22nd Mar 2008 at 11:02 AM Last edited by scampy1 : 22nd Mar 2008 at 11:16 AM.
Ok I tested the driveway and it seems to make that house's roof act weird. I removed the roof and then replaced it again nothing then I clicked the undo button to go back to the original roof from when I re-entered the lot(after reloading the game) This time the octagonal part of the roof sunk slightly I tested it on other lots and no problem yet. The only thing I can see that was different was that I used the flatten lot tool when I first entered the lot to start building on it plus I edited the dormer(removed and added walls-but I am sure the high roof was there before I did that), could be a combination of things. The driveway is not essential as now I have the one you linked to so I will just delete roddyaleixo's invisible recolour as I don't need it.

Thanks again for help!

Mad Poster
#18 Old 22nd Mar 2008 at 8:28 PM
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#19 Old 23rd Mar 2008 at 5:33 AM Last edited by scampy1 : 23rd Mar 2008 at 9:46 AM.
Thanks!

Ok guess what happened? After I loaded the game and played a family then moved them out of the lot and onto another lot the high roof returned. I since have put it down to a few possibilities:
1. The flatten lot tool. After I have used it I get the high roof.
2. I had WitchyWoman's Invisible Driveway installed but I haven't used it. I deleted it and low and behold the high roof had been corrected when I replaced the roof.
3. My game doesn't like the invisible driveways or
4. Freetime is doing this problem. I never had the high until I installed freetime.
5. A combination of all those things.

Uninstall is out of the question it takes too long. I am going to apply for holidays in september october then I will do an reinstall. I hope they will release a patch and see if that will help my problem.

See in that pic the green square? Well that is where I can place the level tool. Maybe that is part of the problem.

Locked thread | Locked by: ThreadMover Reason: Outdated / No Replies