Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Apr 2008 at 4:16 PM
Default Missing walls in neighborhood view
I packaged one of my lots cleaned it and installed it with clean installer, I made some changes , layout, extensions, and roof slope, saved and exited to the neighbourhood view, now I see that some second floor walls have become invisible, not a big problem , just annoying . They are perfectly fine once I am on the lot however. Does anyone have an explenation and/or a solution . I would be very gratefull.
Advertisement
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#2 Old 7th Apr 2008 at 7:32 PM
Are there roofs in front of those walls? Half-shed or half-gable roofs?

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Apr 2008 at 8:17 PM
They are shed hipped roofs.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 10th May 2008 at 2:18 PM
If you have a roof joint onto the wall, like a half gable, that doesn't go all the way up the wall, then the wall will not appear properly or at all in neighbourhood view.
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 12th May 2008 at 3:03 PM Last edited by keef1973 : 12th May 2008 at 3:06 PM. Reason: P.S
Thanks Manga Moon, This only seems to happen on walls to the rear of properties. If the roof angle is lowered on porches at the front all is OK.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#6 Old 12th May 2008 at 3:16 PM
So did you solve it now? If not, please post screenshots -- otherwise we can't see which roofs you are talking about =)

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 12th May 2008 at 3:44 PM
These are the type I am having trouble with. Shed hipped and Shed gabled. The roof angle has been lowered .
Screenshots
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#8 Old 12th May 2008 at 4:27 PM
Yes but what is the difference between your front and back sides?

In any case, this is something that Maxis broke -- my workaround is to use full roofs instead, and pull them halfway through the wall. Only the bit of leftover roof on the side wall is still annoying then, but at least the walls show up fine.

Instructor
Original Poster
#9 Old 12th May 2008 at 4:37 PM
Front ok back walls missing. I'll try your suggestion in future plasticbox, thanks to all who helped.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 12th May 2008 at 5:21 PM
As plasticbox pointed out, it's clearer to post the pictures out.

My present guess based on the only pic on your case is that you built the shed hipped roof from the house outside to the boundary of the upper level. What seemed to have happened is that the attic walls of the shed hipped roof or shed gabled roof did not form simply due to the boundary wall of the upper level where the roofs are attached to.

This is normal.
The mechanism is that once a grid line is occupied by a wall, no further wall can be built on that same place of that grid line by the present wall or roof tools.

In your case, the boundary wall of upper level should have blocked the formation of the attic walls of the shed gabled or hipped roofs.

Choices I know of:
1. if the top of roof will be higher than the upper level or the whole building, you may wanna delete that attached boundary wall of the upper level before making those exterior shed gabled or hipped roofs. A potential problem on this choice is that the upper level may become vulnerable to sims-temperature-related matters (like heatstroke, freezing, etc?) in EP5 Seasons or EP6 BV seasoned neighbourhoods. That means your sims may get heatstroke or freezed in the upper level in neighbourhoods with weathers, seasons or temperature. The only certain exception I know of that you can have "seasons" safely with the upper levelis to use seasons mods based on the base game when temperature was not added or initiated or used.

2. May have those shed roofs lower than the top of the front of the building.

3. being creative to find something nice to cover up the back of them. :D

4. Sacrifice a row of the upper level at the boundary, and build the shed roofs one row inwards the building.

5. any suggestion by anyone who may add more in...
Instructor
Original Poster
#11 Old 12th May 2008 at 8:13 PM
Thanks for your suggestions niol, i will give them a try
Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 12th May 2008 at 10:08 PM
There are some roof-like objects that you can use. Tarox has some (http://www.tarox4sims2.de/ - verschiedenes section ... about half way down the list). There are others scattered about the sim community.

You can put a dummy level in that the wall attaches to -- though that just minimizes the visual impact of the 'missing wall'. It brings its own design and building challenges.

It is very annoying.

Retired from the Sims world. Please continue to enjoy my creations. Thank you to everyone who helped -- by either giving me the tools and knowledge to create or by encouraging me & downloading my creations. The Sims community is the BEST!
Instructor
Original Poster
#13 Old 13th May 2008 at 3:36 PM
Thanks for the link bluetexasbonnie I will give them a try. Yes it is annoying but in game all works perfectly.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#14 Old 14th May 2008 at 3:59 PM
Here's a quick how-to with pics: http://www.modthesims2.com/showpost...992&postcount=4 - regarding the invisible walls (just been posted on another thread)

Instructor
Original Poster
#15 Old 16th May 2008 at 5:38 PM Last edited by keef1973 : 26th May 2008 at 10:24 AM. Reason: solution
Thats the solution thanks plasticbox for your time and effort.

J M Pescado you are a star
Locked thread | Locked by: ThreadMover Reason: Outdated / No Replies