Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Jul 2008 at 4:24 AM Last edited by ephiny : 1st Jul 2008 at 4:32 AM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons
Default Playing the game from an external HD?
Hi all,

A couple of weeks ago I posted about not being able to play my game. No matter what I tried or was suggested, nothing helped. So, I got a new computer, yay! I installed my old HD, which has my game, custom content, etc. as an external HD on the new PC. My question is this, can I play the game from there, without installing or transferring everything to the main drive? When I clicked on my shortcut, I was told that the gane needed to be reinstalled or that files were missing or deleted. This is driving me crazy. Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
Knitting fiend
retired moderator
#2 Old 1st Jul 2008 at 7:59 AM
Here is a thread that answers your question and has all the needed links. Good luck.

"Evil genius is still genius." Asura NPC GW2
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st Jul 2008 at 2:13 PM
Thank you so much, but that doesn't actually help me. Everything is already installed on the drive, as this was my main drive from my old computer. So I don't need to move files there or whatever. My issue is that when I try to run the game from that drive, I'm told that I can't and that some files may be missing or deleted. I'm trying to avoid installing anything on my comp's new main drive but will I need to in order for the game to run? I'm just confused as to why it won't play when I select it from the external. Thanks!
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#4 Old 1st Jul 2008 at 2:28 PM
You have to actually install it on that drive on your current computer. There are registry entries it needs to write so it knows where to find everything. That error you're getting is because of the missing registry entries. Delete the files that are currently on that drive, and reinstall the game to that drive from the disks.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 1st Jul 2008 at 2:42 PM
Ok thanks so much! Do I need to install every expansion pack on my new drive? If so, I guess I might as well just move everything there, since that'll take awhile anyways lol.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#6 Old 1st Jul 2008 at 2:54 PM
Yes... every expansion has registry entries that need to be correct and point to the right place, so you'll need to reinstall it all to the other drive if you want it all to work now.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 1st Jul 2008 at 5:21 PM
Ok, I installed all my EP's to the new drive and copied/moved my old My Documents/EA Games/Sims2 folders as well. But when I started the game, it said I had no neighborhoods! The only option is to create one. I checked the neighborhoods folder thinking that maybe I didn't copy things like I thought, but there are files there. So um yeah, more issues lol!

Thanks for all the help, I hope to be playing soon!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#8 Old 1st Jul 2008 at 5:36 PM
Did you actually redirect your My Documents folder to your new hard drive?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 1st Jul 2008 at 5:35 PM
I copied the folder to my desktop and then copied it into my new computer's main HD's My Documents/EA Games/Sims2 .... . I *did* overwrite things, but assumed that was ok since I wanted everything from my old game and had never played it on the new comp yet. Should I try it again? Or copy each subfolder one by one?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 1st Jul 2008 at 7:07 PM
I copied the entire EA Games folder this time and everything works great. Thanks for all the help!
Locked thread | Locked by: Canoodle Reason: Resolved