Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Jan 2009 at 6:08 PM Last edited by plasticbox : 5th Mar 2009 at 4:28 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage
Default OSX 10.4.11: Quicktime 7.6 Incompatible with TS2 Discussion Thread.
Well, actually, reinstall, but that is not the point.
I have played The Sims 2 fine before, but now it just jumps in the dock and quits. No error message at all.
So, I thought a reinstall could help, but there is no uninstallation program, and well, I have tried dragging EA Games folder to the trashcan and the The Sims 2 folder, and then installing all over again.
The problem is, when I then try to run it, it behaves the same way. Then I decided, why not try to run Body Shop, I did, and it said, "Newer version of Body Shop detected, please run that instead, click OK to continue using this version or quit to quit Body Shop", so I realized, it isn't completely uninstalled.
How do I completely uninstall it?!
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 25th Jan 2009 at 11:47 AM
Sounds like the new issue caused by the QuickTime 7.6 update. Aspyr is aware. Submitting a trouble ticket is a good idea; they may need more system info to pinpoint the problem. Meefle, I am convinced this is your issue, too, if you are reading this.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 25th Jan 2009 at 9:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by rhiamom
Sounds like the new issue caused by the QuickTime 7.6 update. Aspyr is aware. Submitting a trouble ticket is a good idea; they may need more system info to pinpoint the problem. Meefle, I am convinced this is your issue, too, if you are reading this.

Aha!
I knew updating QuickTime was a bad idea.
Though, you sure it affects QuickTime Pro then?
Test Subject
#4 Old 27th Jan 2009 at 12:52 AM Last edited by Damsel13 : 27th Jan 2009 at 1:27 AM. Reason: clarification on what I meant to uninstall
oh shoot! Yep I updated it too. Well I am glad I am not crazy. I did it without thinking. Never had any problems with quicktime before. Can I uninstall this version and reinstall an older version of quicktime? Seems like that would work.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 28th Jan 2009 at 1:24 AM Last edited by Lilym29 : 28th Jan 2009 at 1:26 AM. Reason: more info
I've been emailing with an Aspyr tech. It's the dang Quicktime 7.6 all right. I lost people from one of my favorite neighborhoods and tried to do a clean install. Now I've got the "jumping icon in the dock" syndrome and game that won't load. If you open a ticket at Aspyr, attach your system specs plus your Sims crash log.

The tech told me that Quicktime is so integral to Macs that it's "almost impossible" to uninstall Quicktime to put in an older version.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#6 Old 28th Jan 2009 at 2:00 AM Last edited by plasticbox : 28th Jan 2009 at 2:26 AM.
Thanks very much for looking into this, everyone =) I made a sticky with a warning, linking to this thread.

I believe it would be good to keep discussion in this thread, and post in the sticky only with actual, verifyable changes (like, Aspyr releasing a fix or important new links or somesuch). So that people new to the subject will find the important bits easier, I mean. Thank you!

Also, while it's certainly not straightforward, it's possible to downgrade to Qicktime 7.5.5 -- someone on MATY says they've successfully done that.

See here: macfixit.com -- Downgrading to Quicktime 7.5.5
and here: MATY -- Oops! QuickTime broke it!

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 28th Jan 2009 at 3:32 AM
Eek. Reading the downgrade instructions makes me want to wait it out for Apple and Aspyr to find a solution.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#8 Old 28th Jan 2009 at 3:55 AM
You have no idea how glad I am that I never bothered to upgrade past 7.5 .. I also admired the patience of that MATY person, after I had read the instructions.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Test Subject
#9 Old 31st Jan 2009 at 3:28 AM
I also admired the patience of that MATY person, after I had read the instructions.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 1st Feb 2009 at 6:27 PM
This problem with 7.6 affects other programs in addition to Sims 2, so I just re-installed my OS 10.4, which upgraded to 10.4.11 (the OS I had before) but I did NOT upgrade to Quicktime 7.6 and now everything works just fine.
Test Subject
#11 Old 2nd Feb 2009 at 12:46 AM
I've been so worried!! I tried getting rid of so much CC and deleting neighborhoods in an attempt to get my game to work and I was close to re-installing when I decided instead to check the forums here. Thank goodness I did...I found out about this Quicktime 7.6 problem, which seems to be my issue.

Does anyone know if it's possible to fix it sooner rather than waiting for Aspyr to get their act together? I've tried re-downloading old versions, though for version 7.5.5, most sites say I need to have mac OS version 10.5 (I have 10.4.11), and when trying to download Quicktime 7.4.1, it says I need mac OS version 10.3....so it seems impossible.
Test Subject
#12 Old 2nd Feb 2009 at 9:21 PM
Same thing happened to me. the icon just bounces then stops. I remove it from my dock click on it the application folder, it appears on the dock bounces then goes away.
Instructor
#13 Old 3rd Feb 2009 at 2:48 AM
Let's face it, The Sims 2 came out when Panther was the current OS. Now we have Leopard. That's two major OS revisions, plus dozens of minor upgrades and updates to components and security updates. To expect nothing to ever interfere with an app written for 2 OSs ago is to live in a fantasy world. The good news is that the fix will come from Apple, not Aspyr, and many other apps are affected so I expect it sooner rather than later.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#14 Old 3rd Feb 2009 at 6:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Southpawlove
I've tried re-downloading old versions, though for version 7.5.5, most sites say I need to have mac OS version 10.5

Get it from the official source: http://support.apple.com/downloads/...7_5_5_for_Tiger

This is the same link as in the macfixit.com instructions, which I linked to above.

Test Subject
#15 Old 4th Feb 2009 at 2:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
Get it from the official source: http://support.apple.com/downloads/...7_5_5_for_Tiger

This is the same link as in the macfixit.com instructions, which I linked to above.

Thank you! Though, it still doesn't work, because when when trying to install QuickTime 755 I get the message: "You cannot install QuickTime on this volume. A newer version of this software is already installed." I have, however, deleted all previous versions of QuickTime completely. I don't know what could be causing the problem, except perhaps iTunes uses QuickTime and maybe that's where the so-called "newer version" is hiding. Though I don't have any remaining QuickTimes on my mac. Strange. I wish they'd just come up with a fix for the 7.6 QuickTime sooner.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#16 Old 4th Feb 2009 at 4:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Southpawlove
I have, however, deleted all previous versions of QuickTime completely

You're aware that you can't simply delete it, right? Did you read the instructions on macfixit?

Lab Assistant
#17 Old 4th Feb 2009 at 6:45 AM
Does anyone know if this problem is isolated to 10.4.11? Today, I bought 10.5.6. It came with 7.5 Quicktime and I don't plan to update that if it messes up Sims2.
Test Subject
#18 Old 4th Feb 2009 at 12:04 PM Last edited by dobby27uk : 4th Feb 2009 at 12:08 PM. Reason: spelling error, i can't type!
I'm so pleased and thankful this site exists, i was on the verge of phoning my computer shop to ask why my mac had broken my game.
I followed the simpler instructions on Macfixit for re-installing the old quicktime with pacifist. 7.5.5 is now running but a clean install of the Sims still doesn't work. I'm dreading an OS re-install, I haven't done that on the Imac before. Does anyone know if its as drastic as it was on the Power MacG3? Mine only died in 2006 and I am still not comfortable with this new machine at all!
Instructor
#19 Old 4th Feb 2009 at 12:39 PM
I run Leopard 10.5.6, and QuickTime 7.6, and my game has no problems. So I think it is strictly a Tiger issue.
Test Subject
#20 Old 4th Feb 2009 at 10:09 PM
any new news on how to fix this bug? i miss my siiiiims! i'm trying to transfer it over to my older laptop, but i just know it's going to run so slowly on that! man.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#21 Old 4th Feb 2009 at 10:23 PM
You can't fix it, only Apple/Aspyr can. For a workaround (reverting to Quicktime 7.5.5), see the thread on macfixit, linked several times in this thred.

Test Subject
#22 Old 7th Feb 2009 at 5:19 PM
Do you think if i upgrade to Leopard this will fix the issue?
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#23 Old 7th Feb 2009 at 7:26 PM
From what rhiamom says -- three posts up --, it looks like it would circumvent the issue, yes.

Test Subject
#24 Old 10th Feb 2009 at 10:57 PM
Hey guys, I've got an appointment at my local Apple store tomorrow to get this resolved. I'm assuming that in order to downgrade, they'll want to reinstall OSX, *cry* but luckily I've got everything backed up and if they do it should go smoothly. If they have an easier way to downgrade I'll post you all detailed instructions. If they tell me to wait it out for an update....I'll start a Missing My Sims support group somewhere.
Test Subject
#25 Old 12th Feb 2009 at 1:16 AM
I have my sims back!!!!!

I went to the Apple store this afternoon. Basically the guy said I could do one of three things: wait for an update from Aspyr or Apple (and he really didn't know how long either might take), have them reinstall OSX at the store, or go home and reinstall from the startup discs. I had them reinstall it right there in the store (and it's nowhere near as scary as I had anticipated), but it's pretty simple from the startup discs that came with your computer. Here's an Apple article on how exactly to do it:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article..../en/mh1103.html

All this does is replace your old operating system with a fresh copy, so to speak. It reverts back to whatever version of the system your computer came with, at the store it took mine back to 10.4.7, and then we ran Software Update and reinstalled 10.4.11. If you choose the "Preserve Users and Network Settings" option in the install process, it will keep absolutely EVERYTHING on your computer intact. Mine is working as if nothing ever happened. Still, make sure you back up your computer, just in case. The guy at the store was extremely confident that nothing would go wrong but I like to be safe.

If you're like me and a little chicken to try this on your own, set up an appointment at the Genius Bar at your local Apple store (it's free!) and see what they recommend, most likely they'll perform the reinstall right there. Takes about 30-45 minutes and I recommend having at least 5 gigs of free space on your drive.

One thing I should mention: I asked several times to make SURE that it wasn't going to mess anything up on my hard drive. The guy at the Apple store said he'd never seen it happen, but if your hard drive is already kind of corrupted or on its' way towards failure, a reinstall could mess some things up. However, mine is 4 years old, rather slow for a Mac, and came through with flying colors. So yeah...wait for the update if you're unsure. He also said that some of the really heavy software, like ProTools or really big music, photo, video, that kind of software, might need to be reinstalled as well after you reinstall OSX but should be fine after that.

Anyway. Hope this helps out! If you're on your parents' computer....you may consider asking them before reinstalling an operating system.
Locked thread | Locked by: plasticbox Reason: Outdated
Page 1 of 2