Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th May 2009 at 5:59 AM Last edited by simsimsims : 7th Jun 2009 at 11:43 PM.
Default Style and Culture ~ Contest Closed due to lack of participation
Firstly this is my first ever contest, so expect mistakes.

Hello and Welcome to Style and Culture. A building contest, where you will need to stick to a certain theme for each round. We will be building houses from 5 different cultures. Each of these cultures have there own authentic style, and It is up to you to represent these styles in each round. I will give you some certain things which I am looking for from each culture, but the rest is up to you. Some Round information is set out at the bottom of this post, but more detailed criteria will be posted after the previous round has ended.

1)There will be No Eliminations in this contest, so you get chance to show off your skills in all of the cultures, some of which may be a stonger area for you than others.

2) Custom Content is allowed. Although I'm sure it would be possible to represent cultures with maxis content, feel free to use some CC to help you if you wish.

3) Houses should be fully furnished and landscaped. We are looking for the complete package here.

4) Photo requirements will be posted each round, but make sure you make your pictures no bigger than 650x550. You can add borders to your photos, but please no other photoshopping.

5) There is no budget in any round, so splash the cash!

6) Your house must be playable, although Judges cannot play test your house, if they spot something which could mean that it is not playable then you could lose points in that section.

6) Have fun, PM me with any issues, and try to be punctual with deadlines. I will allow a few hours for extenions If You have PM'd me first.

You will be Judged on the following criteria:

How well the house represents the particular culture. /5
Creativity /5
Appearance /5
Playability /5

Here are Our Judges:

1. MissTech
2. danirawr_SC
3. lewjen

Emergency Judges:

1. Aba23
2. Vampire_aninyosaloh
3. Simsimsims

1. wlsestudios APP

2. butterfryby APP ROUND 1

3. teardrops182 APP

4. Clw8 APP ROUND 1

5. KyriaT APP ROUND 1

more would be lovely. *edit* more would be Impossible.

Application Round ~Spanish - Think Villa's and Pools.
25/05/09 - 07/06/09

Round One ~Chinese - Think lanterns, reds/golds e.c.t.
01/06/09 - 07/06/09

Round Two~Tuscany - Think country cottage, beautiful landscaping.
07/06/09 - 12/06/09

Round Three~Greece - Think Pillars, patterns and pottery.
12/06/09 - 18/06/09

Round Four~Free Choice - You choose a different culture of your own.
18/06/09 - 24/06/09

These are all subject to change, to allow for extensions e.c.t.

Rounds will close eighther when all entries are in, or by the date shown above for that round.

Please note that my time is BST ( British Summer time ) - I will try and get some sort of clock thing linked to this post if I can.

Any Prizes at all would be greatfully accepted. I am not a very good designer myself so unfortunatly cannot offer anything good

If I have missed anything, or you need more information please feel free to post/PM me.

Hosting my first contest "Style and Culture" :D
Find it here: Style and culture contest
Advertisement
retired moderator
#2 Old 25th May 2009 at 5:59 AM
Contest Approved
Begins 5.25.09
Ends 6.25.09
  • Do not post replies and/or contest applications before the contest host has checked in on this thread, or your post will be deleted.
  • DO NOT WRITE USELESS POSTS like "Hey cool contest, I think I might join." Reserve type posts and useless posts about coming back with an application will be deleted.

Formerly known as boolPropped
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 25th May 2009 at 12:34 PM Last edited by simsimsims : 1st Jun 2009 at 4:52 PM.
Default Checking in, and Application round details.

Quote:
Application Round:

Your first task, is to build a lot based on a spanish theme. The Lot can be any size, and can be any type of home,(cottage,villa,apartment,dorm,community lot,e.c.t)

Both the Exterior and Interior should be complete, and there should be an underlying influence of spanish decor in your design.

Spanish Style
Spanish style home decorating is rustic but also a colourful look in your home.
The Spanish style is very interesting with vibrant colors and textures used within it
Often there are vibrant decorations on the walls, and the flooring is usually tiled or hardwood. When you choose to decorate your home with Spanish style home decorating you can bring the elements in without spending a lot of money. You can simply add photos of your family, bright colors and comfortable furniture to achive the perfect home.

Colors
When it comes to Spanish colors, you should think about using bright colors like red, yellow, orange, and blue. These colours are bold and will certainly stand out. Be sure to add a beige or white to the mix as well to give the colors a nice background.

For this round and any other round, you will be Judged on the following:

Creativity /5
Appearance /5
Playability /5

Picture Requirements:

1 x Front view shot of the whole lot.
3 x Favourite parts of your lot which show the Required elements.
1 x Overview shot of the lot

Deadline:SUNDAY 7TH June 11:00PM BST (see clock :D) Please note that round 1 entries are due on this day too.

(Depending on how many contestants There are by then app's could be open through round 1 aswell.)

Have fun and good luck.

Instructor
#4 Old 25th May 2009 at 12:47 PM
If you need judges, I would be happy to help out.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 25th May 2009 at 12:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MissTech
If you need judges, I would be happy to help out.

Thank you MissTech, I will add you now :D

Forum Resident
#6 Old 25th May 2009 at 12:59 PM
Fantastic concept! I'll be watching this eagerly, sure to be interesting.
Actually, I'd be interested in being a judge, if you'd like!
Scholar
#7 Old 25th May 2009 at 1:01 PM
Well, I was about ready to delete my contest hood after another week, and just stick to my themed hood, and stop doing contest, mainly since I figured there'd be no more (cuz of sims 3). But, I have a soft side for building contests, so, I shall be back sometime with that application. Great sounding contest btw.

Sims, like life, is very unpredictable. One minute you're eating four day old pizza, and then the repo-man steals your only sofa and you're in tears. ...then the food poison kicks in.
Test Subject
#8 Old 25th May 2009 at 4:26 PM
Default WLSE Studios - Application

I did play test this house, and several issues that I though may occur didn't!
I have made a picture to prove this as, to be honest, I didn't believe it myself! See it here.

A movie a day keeps Crumplebottom away!
Visit: http://wlsestudios.moonfruit.com
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 25th May 2009 at 4:30 PM
I would like to be an EJ if you like.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 25th May 2009 at 4:40 PM Last edited by simsimsims : 27th May 2009 at 11:02 AM.
An Application already, I am shocked. Thanks wlsestudios It looks beautiful.

danirawr_SC - I will add you to the judges List now Thanks for offering

aba23 - I will add you to the E.J List now, Thanks for offering

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 27th May 2009 at 11:02 AM
Still needing 1 Judge and 1 E.J people

Closing date for App's is 10:00PM On Monday, so still a while for you to get creative :D

Test Subject
#12 Old 27th May 2009 at 12:30 PM
Come on people! Join in!

A movie a day keeps Crumplebottom away!
Visit: http://wlsestudios.moonfruit.com
Typical
#13 Old 27th May 2009 at 12:32 PM
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 27th May 2009 at 2:20 PM
this looks awesome i'll get a house up asap!

There's a thunder in our hearts, baby.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 27th May 2009 at 5:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lewjen
I'll be a judge.

Thanks lewjen I shall add you to the list now.

That means Just 1 E.J and the the Judging panel will be complete

teardrops182 - I hope it will be awesome, and I hope I don't make too many mistakes as host I can't wait to see your entry

Typical
#16 Old 27th May 2009 at 5:08 PM
I know I should have asked this earlier and I feel really stupid now, bit what's an emergancy judge? I'm so sorry for asking this now!!! *pleads*... sometime later... *dirbles*
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 27th May 2009 at 5:12 PM
I know I should have asked this earlier and I feel really stupid now, bit what's an emergancy judge? I'm so sorry for asking this now!!! *pleads*... sometime later... *dirbles*

hehe, An Emergency Judge, is called in if one of the actual Judges takes too long to provide me with scores. Normally it would be if a Judge has not contacted me within 24 hours, I would then message the E.J's to provide me with scores.

Basically they are like backup judges, but should also be promt and be available if needed.

Hope that clears up your question :P

are you still ok with being a Judge?

Typical
#18 Old 27th May 2009 at 5:15 PM
I'm Ok with being aj udge. Recently my mum has been taking me out the house for clothes (huh) but I'm pretty sure I'll be able to judge every round. Just to clarify I pm (?) you my verdict (can't think how else to describe it). Sorry I'm new to judging.
I aim to misbehave
retired moderator
#19 Old 27th May 2009 at 5:20 PM
I could be an E.J. or a judge if you want...

Check out my tutorials: For TS4: Eyelashes and for TS2: Eyes and Eyes 2
-My Insta-

Please, call me Nina (:
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#20 Old 27th May 2009 at 5:22 PM
Default Judging.
Quote: Originally posted by Vampire_aninyosaloh
I could be an E.J. or a judge if you want...
Thanks Vampire_aninyosaloh There is one E.J spot left so I will put you there

I'm Ok with being a judge. Recently my mum has been taking me out the house for clothes (huh) but I'm pretty sure I'll be able to judge every round. Just to clarify I pm (?) you my verdict (can't think how else to describe it). Sorry I'm new to judging.

hehe don't worry. Basically, when each round ends I will send all the Judges a PM telling you what to Judge. The Application round doesn't end till Monday, so expect a Private message sometime after then

What you will be submitting will be a set of scores for each contestant, along with some comments if you wish.

Judging will be scored on the following:

Creativity /5
Appearance /5
Playability /5

Hope that clears up your question lewjen.

Thought the above info might be useful to contestants/Judges alike, so posted it all here. It is all in the original post too though.

Typical
#21 Old 27th May 2009 at 5:24 PM
Thank you for your patience with me... I seem to be very incompetant (hope I used the word in the right context) and yet I didn't even realise it.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#22 Old 27th May 2009 at 7:13 PM
Thank you for your patience with me... I seem to be very incompetant (hope I used the word in the right context) and yet I didn't even realise it.

Don't worry lewjen. I expect quite a few people on here will be unfamiliar with contests, since the merge and all.

Any more questions, don't hesitate to ask

Typical
#23 Old 27th May 2009 at 7:32 PM
I have a sudjestion for free choice:

You could have that as the bonus and you get points for the reasons you chose that culture. And you get more points if you go for a harder culture to incorperate into a lot.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#24 Old 27th May 2009 at 7:54 PM
I have a sudjestion for free choice:

You could have that as the bonus and you get points for the reasons you chose that culture. And you get more points if you go for a harder culture to incorperate into a lot.

Great suggestion lewjen The only thing would be, determining which cultures require more effort to convey. It's a tricky subject really and we don't want to perceive cultures in different lights which may offend people. I would say that *no* culture is specifically harder than any other, and that they all have area's which make them unique.

Your first idea, of having bonus points for reasoning's behind chosen cultures, and the ways they displayed them sounds good though, I will definatly consider this for the final round... providing we get that far of course

simsimsims

Typical
#25 Old 28th May 2009 at 3:38 PM
Come on people, I and the other judges look forward to seeing your creations.

Page 1 of 4