Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th May 2009 at 9:13 PM
Default TSR making a program for creating custom content
http://www.thesimsresource.com/workshop

What do you think about it?

You never know what’s comin’ for ya.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 28th May 2009 at 9:14 PM
I think they are making it sound cooler than it really is.

The MATY discussion on this subject is entertaining.
Inventor
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th May 2009 at 9:20 PM
I am really looking forward to it.
According to this thread (sorry it's only in german), everyone can use it for free and it's possible to upload the created stuff everywhere and not only on tsr.

http://www.simforum.de/showthread.php?t=164456

Instructor
#4 Old 28th May 2009 at 9:23 PM
I would like to believe this was true. Unfortunately, TSR has a bit of a bad reputation within the community, and giving them the tool that makes all CC possible would rub many people the wrong way.
Theorist
#5 Old 28th May 2009 at 9:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CleoTheMuse
The MATY discussion on this subject is entertaining.

lol it really is. The tool should at least be a good start for making Sims 2 CC, I wasn't even expecting something like this to be made so quickly.
Theorist
#6 Old 28th May 2009 at 9:26 PM
It's just vaporware for now. There's no proof this program exists or will for sure exist.
I won't get excited about it until it's available and people are using it.

Resident wet blanket.
Inventor
Original Poster
#7 Old 28th May 2009 at 9:28 PM
Yes I noticed it too, that TSR is discussed very controversially, but I don't know why. Maybe because I am not so into it and I downloaded not so much stuff there for sims 2. So why exactly do they have a bad reputation?

Instructor
#8 Old 28th May 2009 at 9:28 PM
In principle it sounds good I just wonder if it will be easy for someone like me, who has limited ability with this kind of thing to use it successfully... **fingers crossed**
Inventor
Original Poster
#9 Old 28th May 2009 at 9:38 PM
http://forums.thesimsresource.com/s...ad.php?t=369614
Seems like some well known creators discuss the program with tsr members that are responsible for it.

Theorist
#10 Old 28th May 2009 at 9:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by himawara106
Yes I noticed it too, that TSR is discussed very controversially, but I don't know why. Maybe because I am not so into it and I downloaded not so much stuff there for sims 2. So why exactly do they have a bad reputation?

I think mainly because it's a fansite who is in the business for money and profits.
Some people think Sims custom content made by fans, for fans, should be free.

I can't fault anyone for wanting to make a buck, but personally I prefer free fansites, free content, and if I were any good at making content I'd still offer it for free.

Resident wet blanket.
Instructor
#11 Old 28th May 2009 at 9:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GnatGoSplat
I can't fault anyone for wanting to make a buck, but personally I prefer free fansites, free content, and if I were any good at making content I'd still offer it for free.

I too have no problem with someone wanting to make money (however would prefer that they created free content), but the TSR overall attitude tends to be a bit mercenary. They come across as being overly aggressive towards others in the community...and strangely territorial.
Inventor
Original Poster
#12 Old 28th May 2009 at 9:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GnatGoSplat

Yeah that's totally true! I downloaded from their site not much stuff and the free stuff was not very appealing to me. And for their pay stuff - well - eh - I consulted booty...

Lab Assistant
#13 Old 28th May 2009 at 10:22 PM
I don't mind paying for stuff - I just can't stand TSR. I haven't purchased anything from them since like Sims1 or something. At that time I found a lot of their stuff to be poor quality like it was made by a 6 year old and I did not like the layout of their website and did not find it user friendly.
Helptato
#14 Old 28th May 2009 at 10:25 PM
Read TSR.mustbedestroyed.org if you want to know why everyone hates TSR so much.

Emma!

Simblr
[url=https://peanutbuttersandwich.dreamwidth.org/Dreamwidth[/url]
Eminence Grise
#15 Old 28th May 2009 at 11:17 PM
This is what bugs me: ""The Sims 3 Workshop" is being developed professionally and as such will have an EULA which will be flexible enough to protect artists work while allowing creations to be distributed via any means, be it free, donation or subscriber/pay."

Since when does a free community produced mod tool need a EULA? EULAs are for reserving rights and maintaining control over the way applications are used. The fact that it has a EULA at all tells me that TSR is going to be placing limits on who can use it and how.
transmogrified
retired moderator
#16 Old 28th May 2009 at 11:26 PM
The CEP has a EULA: http://linna.modthesims2.com/download.php?t=92541&c=1

I can't imagine what restrictions TSR could place in the EULA that would limit what creators do, since they seem to have pre-eliminated "you must create only pay content." If they attempt to assert any ownership over content created with their (currently hypothetical) tool, I hope the modding community will do what it does best and develop a better, unfettered program which then becomes the community standard.
Eminence Grise
#17 Old 28th May 2009 at 11:55 PM
heh, ok -- guess I never paid attention to the CEP EULA I withdraw my objection then.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#18 Old 29th May 2009 at 1:32 AM
Eh, let 'em do as they please. No skin off anyone's ass - they'll do their thing and the rest of us will do ours. Not like there won't be lovely tools available for everyone to use, and plenty of shiny free content for people to enjoy without having to pay for pixels.

A EULA can only dictate what the user of the -program- does with it, too - so I'm sure whatever pay content that is out there will be redistributed no matter what anyone does... Hell, apparently my Uber-Megahood is up on torrents which kind of amuses me since it's freely available, even from links that require no registration. Piracy - legal or illegal - is just kind of a fact of life on the internet, and trying to stop it is like pissing into the wind - doesn't do a lick of good, and everyone ends up covered in piss.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Instructor
#19 Old 29th May 2009 at 4:08 AM
Money is a great motivator......for them.

Not for me, since I love to download for Free.......

I know, I have frugal and greedy trait.
Field Researcher
#20 Old 29th May 2009 at 4:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
Eh, let 'em do as they please. No skin off anyone's ass - they'll do their thing and the rest of us will do ours. Not like there won't be lovely tools available for everyone to use, and plenty of shiny free content for people to enjoy without having to pay for pixels.

A EULA can only dictate what the user of the -program- does with it, too - so I'm sure whatever pay content that is out there will be redistributed no matter what anyone does... Hell, apparently my Uber-Megahood is up on torrents which kind of amuses me since it's freely available, even from links that require no registration. Piracy - legal or illegal - is just kind of a fact of life on the internet, and trying to stop it is like pissing into the wind - doesn't do a lick of good, and everyone ends up covered in piss.

LMAO... you ALWAYS make me laugh! Don't get me wrong... I'm not kissing ass here I'm just saying you're funny
Instructor
#21 Old 29th May 2009 at 5:31 AM
Quote:
HystericalParoxysm wrote:
Piracy - legal or illegal - is just kind of a fact of life on the internet, and trying to stop it is like pissing into the wind - doesn't do a lick of good, and everyone ends up covered in piss.

Read that to my husband while he was trying to play MOH...he died. Oops! He thought it was very funny though. Your statement, not dying. :P

I am an Angel who has tamed the Dragon. For I am NOT crunchy, NOR good with ketchup!
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#22 Old 29th May 2009 at 9:27 AM
Couple of things I noticed:

1. So far they have just shown off a tool that can load meshes and textures and display them in a 3d window. This is not a big deal - there are a ton of engines and code out there that can do this.

2. They are actually showing a Sims 2 CRES file here - not a Sims 3 one. So I dunno what they are trying to show off... just the 3d preview?

If they want to make a tool, thats fine - but they haven't released anything yet, and to be honest, they are still in the early stages by the looks of it.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 29th May 2009 at 9:54 AM
I don't know enough about the actual tool, but the idea of TSR+EA yet again continues to scare me. And piss me off.
Inventor
#24 Old 29th May 2009 at 10:20 AM
It's from TSR, so therefore they can stick it where the sun doesn't shine...

Others will release tools before too long...

The Grumpy Old Gamer's Blog

~Life is like a box of chocolates, just when you're enjoying it, you choke on it.
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 29th May 2009 at 10:31 AM
I'll wait till sims 3 stuff is uploaded here :D
Page 1 of 3