Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Feeder of Cheesecake to Llamas
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Jan 2005 at 7:53 PM
Default Recoloring Tutorial.
I'm thinking that for now this is the best place for it. I put together a tutorial today for absolute beginners on recoloring clothes with bodyshop and Photoshop. It's in Microsoft Word so it can be printed, and it's 23 pages long because it is completely step-by-step. If people like it, I'll make some more on selective recoloring and layering textures onto clothes.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Faylen's Recolor Tutorial.zip (3.59 MB, 2757 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 17th Jan 2005 at 1:32 AM
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! This is exactly what I have been looking for!!!
Administrator of Loverat's Tea and Underpants
#3 Old 17th Jan 2005 at 10:15 AM
Took me a while to remember to look at it after I downloaded it, but very nicely done, Faylen.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 17th Jan 2005 at 12:23 PM
Thank Want to recolor this tuturioal will help a lot
retired moderator
Original Poster
#5 Old 17th Jan 2005 at 1:24 PM
RGiles, maybe you could give me a tip or two on making the tutorial itself easier. It was a lot of trial and error as far as constructing the thing itself, which is why it ended up in Word format - it was the only way I cuold get it both readable and printable. Anyone up for selective recolors and adding new textures?
#6 Old 17th Jan 2005 at 3:40 PM
Faylen,

That Object Workshop tutorial is the first I've ever written, and Deedee did that pictures for it. So I'm not one to ask for advice really. You did a nice job.

A lot of people are asking for tips like that... how to change the texture. It's slightly different between different graphics programs, but probably not too much. If it's something you feel like doing.

RG
retired moderator
Original Poster
#7 Old 17th Jan 2005 at 11:19 PM
Yeah, I have this strange compulsion to try to teach everyone everything I know. I get so excited when I figure something new out. Sick, I know. OK, next dummies tutorial coming soon.
#8 Old 19th Jan 2005 at 9:09 AM
I've reformatted this tutorial (with Faylen's permission of course) as a forum thread. If you'd like to see that, it can be found here:
http://forums.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=39088

RG
Test Subject
#9 Old 1st Mar 2005 at 9:36 AM
At last, God has shown the true path to the destination. Thank you.
#10 Old 12th Jul 2005 at 3:19 AM
how do i make outfits?
#11 Old 19th Jul 2005 at 4:22 AM
Please somone tell me how to desighn clothes.. I am 19 and I really want to become a famous desighner , my only problem is that I don't know how to desighn them on this site, somone please be so kind to just post it to help a new commer to the sihgt

Please: Alex16zup oh yeah my name is Alex
#12 Old 21st Jul 2005 at 6:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Faylen
I'm thinking that for now this is the best place for it. I put together a tutorial today for absolute beginners on recoloring clothes with bodyshop and Photoshop. It's in Microsoft Word so it can be printed, and it's 23 pages long because it is completely step-by-step. If people like it, I'll make some more on selective recoloring and layering textures onto clothes.
im lost!!!!! help me still! :confused:
retired moderator
Original Poster
#13 Old 22nd Jul 2005 at 5:05 AM
Check out the sticky at the top of the forum for links to tutorials and other helpful information about skinning.

"Living well is the best revenge. . ." George Bernard Shaw
Test Subject
#14 Old 23rd Jul 2005 at 3:50 AM
Thanks for making this tutorial! It really helped me! But i have a question...is there a way that you can add logo's onto the clothing(ex.lacoste sign, Juicy sign etc). Thanks a bunch!
Screenshots
retired moderator
Original Poster
#15 Old 23rd Jul 2005 at 3:10 PM
If you have a jpeg or gif image, all you need to do is copy and paste. Be sure to check it in-game, though, because on certain areas of the sim, it might get a bit stretched out of shape and need to be transformed to fit.

Test Subject
#16 Old 23rd Jul 2005 at 3:18 PM
OMG thankyou so much, I really need this!!!
Test Subject
#17 Old 11th Sep 2005 at 8:37 PM
Oh Goddess Faylen,

I'm just beginning to recolor for Sims2 but have good working knowledge with Sims1 recoloring. I have a few basic questions regarding Photoshop settings as Sims1 was very picky about these.

Specifically:

What color depth should I use 8,16,24 or 32 bit?
Can the pallette be set to indexed?
Still working in RGB vs CMYK?
Any other special settings I should be aware of?

I apologize if this is covered somewhere else in the forums and a pointer to the right forum would be great if so. I've done extensive searching with no success. The sheer number of posts on MTS2 make searching for info a daunting task unless you word the search just so.

Any help in this area would be very much appreciated. Thanks for this wonderful 1st steps tutorial which will get me going in the right direction.

aah! The magic of Photoshop!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#18 Old 13th Sep 2005 at 4:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sdfisher
What color depth should I use 8,16,24 or 32 bit?
Can the pallette be set to indexed?
Still working in RGB vs CMYK?
Any other special settings I should be aware of?

I use 32 bit, and I've used indexed colors without too many problems. RGB, yes. Honestly, the default settings for recoloring work just fine, and I've had no trouble with filters and effects, either. Don't play too much with the color settings, there's some information in the alpha channels that gets messed up (discovered this trying to grayscale hair for retroville.)

Test Subject
#19 Old 13th Sep 2005 at 6:24 AM
Thank You.
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 1st Oct 2005 at 2:35 PM
Thank you from an absolute beginner, I'm going to do this!
Test Subject
#21 Old 26th Nov 2005 at 8:19 PM
hold on.. i downloaded the tutoral for some reason thinking it was a program. where can i get the program from the tutoral... sorry to be such a nuisance

sleep; a poor substitute for caffeine.
insomnia; a cure to nightmares. my inspiration. my passion.

simply put, i've learned to live with it.
Test Subject
#22 Old 26th Nov 2005 at 8:23 PM
i downloaded this tutoral thinking it was somethign else i guess... where can i get the program <i>from</i> the tutoral? sorry to be such a nuisance

Test Subject
#23 Old 27th Nov 2005 at 11:01 PM
niice. i got it. dont know why i coulndt find it before. thanks though i didnt actually need this tutoral..

Test Subject
#24 Old 30th Nov 2005 at 8:33 PM
It all makes sense but i dont have photoshop. were can i download it from ? Thanks faylen your tutorial is so easy to use its very useful!
Test Subject
#25 Old 18th Dec 2005 at 2:02 AM
Dear Faylen,I have a terrible problem.My dad deleted my Sims 2 body shop and I dont remember where I downloaded.Where did you download your Fay?

Yours truly,
Smilie
Locked thread | Locked by: Faylen Reason: Active thread is in Tutorials Section
Page 1 of 2