Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Jan 2005 at 12:40 AM Last edited by ralphaelninja : 21st Jan 2005 at 1:22 AM.
Default Another Surprise from Ralphael - Split Stiars Revisit
There are still a few tricks that a turtle can do. Lets see if you can guess how the following split stairs was done. I used the clear tile so that you can see all three floors.

No surprises? Boolprop constrainfloorelevation false. You are betting that those walls are so warped on drugs?... Now here is the kicker :bump:

Whoa Straight walls!! Lets take a look from the side...

So your turn... Please post your gueses here and I'll post a pic of the answer later on. Apologies for the teaser but there are so few surprises left in the game that this last one would be a nice find.

Ralphael
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 21st Jan 2005 at 12:52 AM
Did you place a "dummy" level between each useable level? By this I mean, reducing the level of the wall to only 4 clicks for the dummy level. I noticed the windows did not reach the floor on the first level. Just a guess.. :p
Field Researcher
#3 Old 21st Jan 2005 at 12:57 AM
Yeah, the first floor wall seems bigger than the top 2.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 21st Jan 2005 at 3:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by daihtnaoz7
Did you place a "dummy" level between each useable level? By this I mean, reducing the level of the wall to only 4 clicks for the dummy level. I noticed the windows did not reach the floor on the first level. Just a guess.. :p

Within seconds of this post, daihtnaoz7 knew the answer definitely no fun at all

Master Cocktail Shaker
#5 Old 21st Jan 2005 at 11:15 AM
Master Ninja has done it again
Woah, I am about to cry - I spent a couple of hours doing split style stairs using MikeInside's technique- and even though the result looks awesome, my exterior walls warping.....and what's worse the exterior walls had to be two different colours (white on the ground/basement levels, dark brick on the second level - so you can imagine that warped wall has now been enhanced...

Nice work Ralphael. *sniffle* :gonemad:

------------------------------------------------------
www.simsconnection.com

my bloggie
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 21st Jan 2005 at 11:58 AM
Sorry to answer so quickly Ralphael! Honestly it was just my first guess. I've got to admit though, the technique you used was quite simple compared to the other styles of split level stairs, that I'm really surprised that no one else bothered to come up with it sooner! Definately worth trying!
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 21st Jan 2005 at 2:20 PM
Help me out here, I've been to MikeInside and searched here, and I've apparently missed these short walls. Can someone point me to some instructions, please.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 21st Jan 2005 at 3:16 PM
Awsome job there! It would be nice with a more simplyfied explenation for us technically impaired :-)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 21st Jan 2005 at 7:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jack_d_spratt
Help me out here, I've been to MikeInside and searched here, and I've apparently missed these short walls. Can someone point me to some instructions, please.

Short walls are created using the "boolprop constrainfloorelevation false" cheat. Here are some quick pics on how this is done (the ralphael way

Build a stack of rooms and floor them and turn the above cheat false. Using connecting stairs, connect them in a series as follows:

This lowers the floor downwards by 12 clicks (4 clicks per connecting stair). Flatten the floor with the elevation tool. The starting and ending points must be a flat tile.

Repeat this on alternating floors. Here is a complete building with quarter dummy floors in between.

Notice how the stairs and floors are interleaved with quater height walls and full wals.

However as with any novel discovery, there are caveats. Originally I had thought to do this with half split stairs as follows:

and here is the caveat.... :werd:

The overlapping 1st and 2nd floor walls creates half translucent windows... so this method of straight walls don't quite work with half height split stairs.

Almost... but not quite fully useful... :nana:

Ralphael
Test Subject
#10 Old 21st Jan 2005 at 7:42 PM
nice! looks quite good and you found it out congratz :S
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 21st Jan 2005 at 8:01 PM
Raphael

Thanks for the tutorial. I've been playing with everything I can find to make a set of stairs I can live with in a Victorian house. The lack of foundation or else the wall distortion just don't do it for me. Now if I can do this with a free-standing landing, it'd have to be along the central hall...
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 21st Jan 2005 at 8:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jack_d_spratt
Raphael

Thanks for the tutorial. I've been playing with everything I can find to make a set of stairs I can live with in a Victorian house. The lack of foundation or else the wall distortion just don't do it for me. Now if I can do this with a free-standing landing, it'd have to be along the central hall...

Deformity occurs when a equal floors level connect and one floor is higher or lower then the other.

Even with a free standing Stair, sooner or later the outside wall and the interior must connect, although you could defer the connection to somewhere else. halls and rooms are part of the central unit with a gap of 1 tile before the outside walls.

Good luck on your Victorian house.

Ralphael
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 22nd Jan 2005 at 10:56 AM
I used the same "dummy wall" technique when doing the split level stairs in gyfu house:

the advantage of doing the walls this way, was that i was then able to create a split level deck, outside this room, that you can see here:

i also used a dummy level to create these stairs leading to the deck of the Aneuri House:

so it can be useful at times... tho they can be a bit tricky to play around with
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 24th Jan 2005 at 1:33 PM Last edited by jack_d_spratt : 24th Jan 2005 at 1:57 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by ralphaelninja
Even with a free standing Stair, sooner or later the outside wall and the interior must connect, although you could defer the connection to somewhere else.Ralphael

Free standing worked with no deformity. The game's a little particular about attaching that connecting stair from the 2nd floor to the landing, but other than that it was pretty smooth (constrainFloorElevation is false during this move). It takes a lot of room when you have to leave that 1 square space around most of the stairway, so its not suitable for my Victorian, yet. But I rebuilt my City Hall with a magnificent staircase.

I see MikeInside showed up with something along the lines I wanted to play with. I was thinking a normal height 1st floor and a 4 click 2nd floor (it'll help me keep windows from touching and allow for a real porch roof). Now if his idea for split level houses will allow me to level the normal/4 click and an 8 click/12 click combo (for the stairway landing) and come out with a flat 3rd floor...

Update: I'm pretty sure I can level that 3rd floor, but I see I'm going to get some distortion (this hurts me more inside the house than out, most of the outside would be covered by porch or porch roof). I'm hoping to move the distortion to an area where it doesn't hurt too bad. Silly me, I have to be obsessed with a home style that relies on lots of patterned walls.

Anyway, I got ideas to try. You guys are great, thanks for sharing.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 25th Jan 2005 at 10:17 AM
I cant get this to work for me
when you say a stack of rooms do you mean a couple of rooms the one on top of the other? (sorry, Greek person here). Also I believe there is a foundation right?
..what happens to me is that when I flatten the floor, I get a raised tiled "hill" with no stairs. Can someone help me?
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 27th Jan 2005 at 7:49 AM
ive made a tute on this... will be uploading it on the 14th of february hopefully
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 27th Jan 2005 at 8:12 AM
Thanks Mike!!! I'm a regular in your site, so I won't miss it
Locked thread | Locked by: ThreadMover Reason: Outdated / No Replies