Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Feb 2005 at 12:52 AM Last edited by snazza : 29th Sep 2005 at 11:12 AM.
Default How to make a new clothing or hair mesh as a non-replacement.
Updating, August 28 to bring up to date. Judging by the responses it looks like I am bad at explaining things. I don't know I prefer shorter explanations myself, because you don't have to read through a whole bunch of stuff just to find the bits of info you want. If you want a really long one with lots of shiny pictures read WDSBrianna's thing. Thanks Miche, Delphy, Quaxi, and Wes_h for explaining things to me.

You need: SimPE (just download a new one please)
That's IT!

1. You make a new package file using bodyshop (hair, clothes, whatever it is), which is going to be the base mesh you want to change. Have your SavedSims folder open so you can see the new file it spits out.

2. You need to export the CRES, GMND, GMDC, and SHPE from the different simsxx.packages in "The Sims 2\TSData\Res\Sims3D". It is important that you extract the correct ones for the particular outfit or hair you used in bodyshop. Open your bodyshop package and look at the 3IDR file. Look at the instance of the Resource Node (CRES) it is referencing. Open sims06.package (in The Sims 2\TSData\Res\Sims3D) and put that instance in SimPE's instance filter. After that, SimPE should only show the CRES file you want. Extract it and also check the name of it. You can look for that name in the name map that is in every simsxx.package to find the other 3 files (GMND, GMDC, and SHPE) you are going to extract next.

3. Using SimPE File->Add all those files you extracted to your bodyshop package (You can also make a new package if you want, and add them to that. This is if you want to keep your bodyshop texture package separate from the package with the mesh.). When you add the files be sure to choose the XML file (for each file you extracted, 2 files are created).

4. Now everything you need is in the package, but the way it is now it will only replace the existing mesh. Go to each of the files you imported (CRES, GMND, GMDC, and SHPE) and in the plugin view type a new name for the filename and click "Assign Hash", commit, then "Fix TGI" and commit again. It must be done in that order too because "Fix TGI" generates a new ID for the file based on the hash. You must do that for the 4 files you imported. After that those files are no longer replacing ones in the simsxx packages. They have new IDs but they are still not linked together.

5. The way your bodyshop package links to a mesh is through the 3IDR file which links to the CRES by ID. The CRES links to the SHPE by ID. The SHPE links to GMND by name, and the GMND links to the GMDC by ID. There is a 3IDR file in your bodyshop package. Open it's plugin view. Take note of the Resource Node (CRES) reference. Replace that ID (instance & instance high) with those of your new CRES file. Commit the changes. Good doggy.

6. Now that the 3IDR links to the CRES, get the CRES to link to the SHPE. Look in the CRES file in SimPE and go to the "Reference" tab, you'll see the SHPE it is linking to, remove that one and click on the little arrow on the right side bar. There should appear a list of files in your package. Drag your SHPE file in to the Reference list and click commit.

7. Now you need to link the SHPE to the GMND which is done by name. Browse to the GMND and copy its file name. Browse to the SHPE file and look at the "Items" tab. Click the item there and paste in the GMND filename as the new name. Click commit.

8. Now to link the GMND to the GMDC. Look in the GMND file in SimPE and go to the "Reference" tab, you'll see the GMDC it is linking to, remove that one and click on the little arrow on the right side bar. There should appear a list of files in your package. Drag your GMDC file in to the Reference list and click commit.

9. Save the file. And remember at some point to right click and replace the GMDC mesh with your edited one, though this can be done at any time. Don't worry it won't change IDs even if it does change the name you see. Also I will mention for anyone wondering why nothing was done concerning the MATD, that with bodyshop generated packages the MATD is linked to by the 3IDR and the SHPE link is at least unused for that purpose. Obviously Maxis set it up like this so people could make their own skins.

10. This concludes the tutorial. You should have a non-replacement package now. Test it out. If you have trouble then ask. Good luck.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 13th Mar 2005 at 12:06 AM
I'm not really good with skinning stuff ,so what exactly would this do?
Field Researcher
#3 Old 9th Apr 2005 at 2:11 AM
thank you for this - i'll have my boyfriend try it out...

~ h e l a e n e ~
https://www.patreon.com/helaene (free)
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 14th Apr 2005 at 8:26 PM
could you possibly give step-by-step pictures??? it would really help me out...
Test Subject
#5 Old 18th Apr 2005 at 9:38 AM
*SimPE (I used v0.14e), and hex editor - to produce the package. (Hex editing only needs to be done ONCE.)
Delphy's SimPE obj exporter, and Delphy and Miche's MTS2 Mesh Tool - to modify the mesh.*

Where do you get them from?
#6 Old 26th Apr 2005 at 5:44 PM
yer where do u get them from
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 28th Apr 2005 at 7:49 PM
I'm here: Extract it and also check the name of it. You can look for that name in the name map that is in every simsxx.package to find the other 3 files.

But, what name?! where I can find it for extract the other 3 files? please Help me! :howdy:
#8 Old 29th Apr 2005 at 1:51 AM
Come Again?
#9 Old 30th Apr 2005 at 9:15 PM
I am totally confused, but I guess thats because I am "technically chalenged"Lol. :werd:

:bump: :argh: :confused: :smash: :howdy:
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 4th May 2005 at 5:41 PM
I’m sorry but this is just not in-depth enough to get me started. Could you elaborate allot more? Possibly add some screenshots?
Test Subject
#11 Old 5th May 2005 at 9:35 AM
Yes, a screenshots plsss :D
Test Subject
#12 Old 9th May 2005 at 7:47 PM
Screenchots would be soooo much more helpful for the technically challenged (like moi)...PLEASE!!
Instructor
#13 Old 9th May 2005 at 8:07 PM
HERE
It works great for me, and you can't be much more technically challenged than I am...
Test Subject
#14 Old 9th May 2005 at 8:19 PM
::Oohs and Ahhs:: I'm gonna try this tomorrow
Test Subject
#15 Old 19th May 2005 at 1:06 AM
Default How do i get the GMND,SHPE,CRES files?
Ok this might be a stupid question but I seem to be a little lost. I know how to extract the GMDC file but I don’t know how to get the GMND, SHPE and CRES files. I followed the tutorial on how to get them but nothing seems to show up when I place the instance in the filter to ID it. I think it might be because I’m using version 0.35. Is there a different way to get these files with this version or something?
#16 Old 27th May 2005 at 12:01 AM
where do you get those things you need to make it?
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 30th May 2005 at 3:02 PM
huh i didnt quite get that :S
Test Subject
#18 Old 8th Jun 2005 at 10:59 AM
kind of confusing O.o
Test Subject
#19 Old 8th Jun 2005 at 11:39 PM
whats this milk something i'm hearing about
Test Subject
#20 Old 9th Jun 2005 at 7:31 AM
XML? I could not get past the part where you open the 31dr in Hex editor and change the instance and subtype..There were way too many numbers and letters and i didnt know which one to edit. Im using the latest SimPE if that matters, do i still need to edit the hex?? And step 9, replacing the GDMC with your edited one, i though thats what i have been doing editing the gdmc, gmnd, cres and shape...Anyway, i hope someone can help me..thanks in advance =)

Foxy1185...milkshape? its a 3d program used to edit the mesh i think =)
Inventor
#21 Old 26th Jun 2005 at 9:00 AM
foxy...
MilkShape 3d, editing software (not free but very cheap and you get a 30 day trial or so. I'm planning on buying myself but it's still running on trial.. and works great. Easy to use for the most part..
http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/ms3d/

xts
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 25th Jul 2005 at 8:59 PM
Meshing has got to be the most complicated process on the planet *smacks head repeatedly on desk* never the less I will learn it so thank you for making this so those "tecnically challenged people know what they're doing" (if we're lucky) lol
#23 Old 25th Jul 2005 at 9:33 PM
wot the hell are u on about i cant understand a word of tat some pictures mite help but other wise im lost !
:confused: :Puppy: :busted: :bag: :uber: :offtopic: :omg:
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#24 Old 26th Jul 2005 at 5:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by citycat
wot the hell are u on about i cant understand a word of tat some pictures mite help but other wise im lost !
:confused: :Puppy: :busted: :bag: :uber: :offtopic: :omg:

Allow me to direct you to the Posting Guidelines

More specifically:

Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
2.4 Do NOT type in l33tspeak, or use excessive abbreviations. For example: "um is ther ne way that i cud download a file cuz i cant use ne thing cud sum1 tel me wer 2 get it thx" is NOT acceptable. If you type like this you WILL be warned.

Also, excessive use of the emoticons is frowned upon. Please keep this in mind.

Life's like an hourglass glued to the table
No one can find the rewind button
So cradle your head in your hands
And breathe....Just breathe....
Test Subject
#25 Old 26th Jul 2005 at 1:07 PM
i still can' undestand lol, i made a mesh but how to put in game don't know lol XD
Locked thread | Locked by: tiggerypum Reason: Outdated
Page 1 of 3