Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Slacker of Immense Slackness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Feb 2005 at 3:24 AM Last edited by HystericalParoxysm : 19th Apr 2007 at 9:04 AM.
Default Downloads - The Files, The Folder and The SubFolders: A Divifitive Guide (Upd 27Sept)
This article has been updated and converted to wiki format.

Click Here to view the updated wiki article.
Screenshots
1165 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 27th Feb 2005 at 7:36 PM
If you only want to sort by file type, I'd recommend just using Clean Installer. After deleting your duplicates (as mentioned), click on "Type" to sort them by type. Once sorted, click on the first of the file type, Clothing for example. Scroll down to the end of the list of Clothing, hold down the ctrl key, and click on the last one. This selects all the items in between, which should all be clothing if you sorted them. Right click, select Move To, and proceed with moving. Do this for each file type, move them to subfolders, saved sims folders, wherever you like. Poof, done.

I did it this way, and had all 10,000+ of my downloads sorted in about ten minutes. Of course, this was before I found out you can't put clothing and genetics into subfolders. But another couple of minutes to move them out of the subfolders, and everything's working fine.

"The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you."
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 27th Feb 2005 at 8:36 PM
:smash: I just checked again, and all the clothing and hair meshes (just the meshes, not the recolors) are in a special subfolder - and all are working great. Makes life a lot easier .

"If you wanna be one of the non-conformists, all you have to do is dress just like us and listen to the same music we do."
Slacker of Immense Slackness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#4 Old 3rd Mar 2005 at 12:21 AM
Thanks all to me there is nothing worse than one big BLEH of files!

didi_sim I didn't know THAT! And that is awesome I will update teh guide to reflect this thank you :D

Lunameow - good points and I wish more people would realise what a handy tool S2CPI is not just for scanning for hacks!

<:3))~~ Loverat
"In some cultures what I do is considered normal"

www.loverat.net Check it out for other recolours & lot uploads =D
Field Researcher
#5 Old 3rd Mar 2005 at 3:54 AM
Loverat: can you delete the actual .sims2pack after installing it's contets??? I have used your most magnificent tips from this thread and have now completely re-organized my downloads folder into very nice subfolders. (Although it is a shame that we cannot sub-catagorize genetics/clothing...) But I have one folder that is nothing but the .sims2pack files that have already been installed! What should I do with them???

And, while I'm at it... is it okay to put Terrain Paint files in a sub-folder, too?

You are the best! Thank you so much in advance!!!

** off to bed with visions of all of my beautiful downloads working with University next time I load up dancing in my head **

~Marie
The Quiet One
retired moderator
#6 Old 3rd Mar 2005 at 5:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by enchantedw0lf
Loverat: can you delete the actual .sims2pack after installing it's contets??? I have used your most magnificent tips from this thread and have now completely re-organized my downloads folder into very nice subfolders. (Although it is a shame that we cannot sub-catagorize genetics/clothing...) But I have one folder that is nothing but the .sims2pack files that have already been installed! What should I do with them???

I keep everything I download so all my .sims2pack files are outside my Downloads folder and in another folder that I have organized for things I've downloaded off various sites. You're welcome to delete the .sims2pack files. They can't get read by the game anyway... that's why they have to be installed before they can show up. .sims2pack files are just another way of packaging files for installation. So have at it! :D

DDO
Locked thread