Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Feb 2005 at 10:37 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business
Default Forever Stuck in 800 X 600 Res Mode
This might get deleted as it was a archived post that I referenced in a search, and which was not answered, therefore I am posting again to get a response.
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthre...olution+options

I am stuck in 800x600 mode, and on my wifes pc she has the option to increase the resolution beyond this, we looked at eachother settings, and have the same graphics cards. Can someone who may have had this problem, and solved it provide some assistance? I'd appreciate it.

And I don't care to hear about how well your pc runs like the original post.

AMD Sempron, 3000+
512MB SDRAM
80GB, 7200RPM HD
NVidia Geforce4MX Vid
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#2 Old 26th Feb 2005 at 10:42 AM
oh yeah, and the card is a mere 64mb, like condor (original post) my game plays just fine with minimal slowdown, and I too had a fullsize lot packed with hacked onjects and recolors, and the works...dont be a hater. Just wanna see why I cant get the options.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 26th Feb 2005 at 10:48 AM Last edited by bairy : 7th Jul 2005 at 9:57 AM. Reason: removed unnecessary swearing
I have encountered the same exact problem on my sister's machine.

She has a Dell Dimension 3000
with like 3Ghz P4, 512MB Ram, 80 GB HD, and I believe an NVidia graphics card with probably 64MB VRam. I will have to double check that...

But in any case, I asked peeps in the Live Chat and everyone basically just told me that Dell makes crappy computers and that it Must be a crappy computer problem or possibly a driver problem.

Short of reformating the OS itself (WinXP Home Ed.), I have reinstalled Sims 2 and uninstalled and reinstalled the video driver and updated and rolled back and re-updated the video driver repeatedly, and nothing seems to work.

The Sims 2 runs fine on my own personal machine, which is actually kind of crappier and 2 years older than hers. :confused:

The odd thing is, when she first installed the Sims 2, it was fine. But something went screwy one time, and of course she didn't bother to read/record the error message, and now her game is not working. Or at least I am, because it is now my problem in that I am supposed to know how to fix it. :P

If you Ever figure out what the problem is, please do PM me or whatever, and let me know how to resolve it. I've been meaning to call EA tech support on this... but I just really hate the idea of dealing with crappy tech support. :P

Ste
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 27th Feb 2005 at 9:32 AM
If I find anything I will post a PM to ya. Mines and emachine, so thats probably something I shouldve included above. I have XP, and my wife has windows 2000 on an older HP....I am surprised how much more versatile her machine is over this one, as this is my second machine and even my previous one was crappier than hers
(ME to XP...) anyhoo..the call is out.
Test Subject
#5 Old 27th Feb 2005 at 4:51 PM
I used to be stuck in 800 by 600....

Here is what I did....that made it possible for me to change the res in the game.....
-----------------------
Find the file:

C:/Program Files/EA GAMES/The Sims 2/TSData/Res/Config/Graphics Rules.sgr

… and make a copy of it under a different name as a backup (something like Graphics Rules.sgr.bak)

Now edit the original file and find the section:

“option ScreenModeResolution”

You will see settings for Low, Medium, and High. Copy the medium settings and paste them over the low settings to allow the game to start at 1024x768 resolution or better.

Save and exit and then start the game ........ go into the grafics option once the game is loaded.... you should be able to select something besides 800 by 600...

Hope this helps
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 3rd Mar 2005 at 7:58 AM
NM-
THanks a ton! This actually worked. Now if I can just enable shadows...lol. Anyway, I really appreciate this and am sure it will also help a few others as well. Kudos.
Test Subject
#7 Old 3rd Mar 2005 at 2:31 PM
Yes, it DOES work! Thanx a million! Now if there was only a way to "cheat" on the "Smoothing Edges" option . . .
Test Subject
#8 Old 6th Jul 2005 at 10:11 PM Last edited by Sim2lover : 7th Jul 2005 at 5:53 AM. Reason: Update
Default Thanks No Mercy
:howdy: Thanks very much No Mercy, have been looking for a solution other than having to buy new vid card, will try it shortly.

Have tried this and it worked just fine..while i was scrolling through i noticed that any onboard geforce 2 or 4 is set to the lowest res automatically..cant think of why.....Thanks again
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 7th Jul 2005 at 12:36 AM Last edited by paola_105 : 7th Jul 2005 at 3:54 AM.
thank you very much! I've been looking for this everywhere.

how do u edit the original file? It wont open because it's unreadable. I'm confused :confused:
Test Subject
#10 Old 7th Jul 2005 at 5:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by paola_105
thank you very much! I've been looking for this everywhere.

how do u edit the original file? It wont open because it's unreadable. I'm confused :confused:

You need to right click and chose open with or open and it will ask what to open with..you can use notepad or wordpad just make sure the "always open with this program" box is not checked as you want the sims to be able to read it after
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 7th Jul 2005 at 4:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sim2lover
You need to right click and chose open with or open and it will ask what to open with..you can use notepad or wordpad just make sure the "always open with this program" box is not checked as you want the sims to be able to read it after

oohh. I kinda figured it out on my own last night after spending 2 hours finding ways to open it.