Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

TESTERS WANTED - Assignable gravestone

by cathair2005 Posted 13th Mar 2005 at 9:39 AM - Updated 27th Aug 2005 at 2:48 PM by cathair2005

74 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 72 Feedback Posts, 1 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 3
Instructor
#2 Old 13th Mar 2005 at 2:00 PM
This sounds interesting. I'm going to try it out. One thing I noticed with the gravestones is if you sell them in buy mode it deletes that sim's character data and the ghost is gone for good, but if you move out of the house, the game does the autosell for everything in the house, including the gravestone, however the character data still exists and so does the ghost but then they have no gravestone.

I wish they would have made it so that when you sell a house the gravestones stay, but at least with your object it sounds like we can get them back.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 13th Mar 2005 at 2:08 PM
Very interesting, going to see if I can get a haunted dorm on campus.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 13th Mar 2005 at 3:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Motoki
This sounds interesting. I'm going to try it out. One thing I noticed with the gravestones is if you sell them in buy mode it deletes that sim's character data and the ghost is gone for good, but if you move out of the house, the game does the autosell for everything in the house, including the gravestone, however the character data still exists and so does the ghost but then they have no gravestone.

I wish they would have made it so that when you sell a house the gravestones stay, but at least with your object it sounds like we can get them back.

This is strange because when I move my family's out the grave stones always stay with the house the only thing is the ghost are always very angry because their is no family left when someone else moves in
Forum Resident
#5 Old 13th Mar 2005 at 4:15 PM
sounds great but does it work without uni? as i have ordered it on ebay but not got it yet.
Instructor
#6 Old 13th Mar 2005 at 7:29 PM
stariscool: I don't see anything about it that would require University, but as I do have the expansion installed I can't say for sure.

Cathair: I played around with it a bit. It works pretty well. I did noticed the tombstone differs from the normal ones a bit. For one thing you can't move them without using move objects. Also when you use move objects, is says tombstone/urn instead of the dead sim's name. And I don't think it had a value like the regular tombstones do.

Do you know if the ghost will disappear when dawn comes and come back randomly during some nights and otherwise behave as a normal ghost or do you have to some it everytime? I'll keep playing around with it.
Test Subject
#7 Old 13th Mar 2005 at 8:51 PM
Is it possible to have this gravestone on community places too? Please?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 14th Mar 2005 at 5:03 AM
Thanks for testing it guys. If the ghost is deleted after the tombstone is destroyed then there is little point in using this one to call the reaper. Therefore, I'd suggest cloning it and giving it its own GUID. I don't know how to do that yet nor do I know how to place it in community lots. But I'm learning.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 14th Mar 2005 at 6:28 AM
Can we use this to have a ghost on a lot that is already on another lot? For example, Mortimer is buried in the Goth graveyard, but can I also have Mortimer haunt Cassandra's house? This is something I really want in my game and it would help when families move into bigger houses, they can still have their parents or whoever haunt them.

WHY DO SIMS NEVER EXPERIENCE A MID-LIFE CRISIS?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 14th Mar 2005 at 8:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Ancient Sim
Can we use this to have a ghost on a lot that is already on another lot? For example, Mortimer is buried in the Goth graveyard, but can I also have Mortimer haunt Cassandra's house? This is something I really want in my game and it would help when families move into bigger houses, they can still have their parents or whoever haunt them.

Yes, I tested it and that option does work. Assign Mortimer's ghost to the gravestone after placing it down and then you can either wait for the ghost to be created through chance of create the ghost yourself clicking on the appropriate interaction.
Instructor
#11 Old 14th Mar 2005 at 10:59 AM
Sounds super. Just a question: is there conflicts possibilities with other mods? I had recently problem with my Insimenator where Ghost either stopped showing up or showed up pissing all around on the lot.
Was quite a big job to clean up that mess and I do not wish it back.
Testing your object anyway. Sounds mortally interesting.
Test Subject
#12 Old 14th Mar 2005 at 11:17 PM
Cool, I'll see if this works. Family would've taken Dad's urn when they moved, yeah, so I'll fix that now. ^_~
Instructor
#13 Old 15th Mar 2005 at 1:48 AM
Cathair: Well I don't know if I am losing it and reported info wrong or it changed, but the grave is now worth the normal $150 and when I click on it, it says the dead sims' name. I can move it now too with move_objects. As far as I can tell, it functions as any normal gravestone now except I still get the summon and assign prompts. In fact, I now get those even with graves of sims who died in the game and got a regular gravestone. Doesn't seem to be a big deal though.

Oh! I also wanted to report that I managed to resurrect I sim that I assigned to a new gravestone using this object!!

As far as I can tell, the grim reaper will allow you to resurrect any sim, no matter what lot they died on, whether their gravestone still exists or not, as long as two criteria are satisfied.

The first being that there character data still exists. Technically, it's not supposed to be possible that a sim without a tombstone can still have character data stored, but we all know it happens. If a tombstone disappears by any means other than you selling it in buy mode, they keep the character data.

The other criteria is that the caller must know the dead sim they are trying to summon. When I called, I got a prompt of several dead sims. One was the ghost I summoned and assigned with your tombstone, but the others didn't even die on the current lot I was playing and had their tombstones on other lots. One didn't even have a tombstone at all anymore.

I don't think the resurrect-o-nomitron is directly tied to the tombstones, in spite of what Maxis and the guide say. I think they just say the sim needs to have a tombstone to be resurrected because they are assuming sims who no longer have tombstones also no long have character data but this isn't always the case.

At any rate, this is extremely handy. Now graves and urns aren't limited to one lot and you don't have to leave them behind when you move. I mean who would move and leave their dead mom's urn of ashes in their old house? lol

Thanks again for this!
Test Subject
#14 Old 15th Mar 2005 at 7:10 AM
I tried this out in two neighborhoods...Strangetown and my own neighborhood that I've been working on. In Strangetown when I clicked on the tombstone, it showed a whole list of ghosts (don't know if it was all of them). Yet when I used it in my neighborhood, where there is or at least was only one ghost, no ghost names appeared on the menu. I created a couple of ghosts on another lot with this object and then saved and left that lot to return to the previous lot where my ghost is supposed to be. I tired it to see if I could summon the two ghosts from the other lot, but they didn't appear on the menu. Presumably, because they were assigned to gravestones on the other lot, that had something to do with their names not showing up. I thought perhaps I could reassign them to a new tombstone, but that didn't happen. Since the ghost that I had on my one lot seems to have disappeared (I have no idea why), I created a new Sim, sent him to join the family, used the InSIMenator to max out the feelings towards him of the family living there and then had him commit suicide. (gods that sounds so horrible). I then used your tombstone to make him a ghost. It worked wonderfully. I love this thing, I hope that someday it will be able to be used on community lots. I've built a cemetery, but I had to wing it in constructing things that sort of look like grave stones. A haunted cemetery would be extremely cool, if that were possible (probably not, The game doesn't seem to save community lots when there are Sims present.)

Thanks for this.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 15th Mar 2005 at 8:02 AM
Oh very cool!! Now maybe Mort can join his ancestors.
Firestarter
#16 Old 15th Mar 2005 at 8:09 AM
This looks great, I can't wait to try it I've been dying to be able to make the ghosts appear.

I'm wondering if not all of them appear because they're not fully ghosts. Look in SimPE and see if all the ghost check boxes are checked off. What I've found with the ghosts is that not all the boxes are checked off for each ghost for some reason. I think after they've appeared on a lot for awhile, then the game flags them properly, but not at first.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#17 Old 15th Mar 2005 at 9:08 AM
I will check that out, Carrigon. It sounds like you might be onto something - maybe the game does flag them when they appear. But then, out of the three ghosts, the only two to appear were the ones who died with max aspiration. Thanks for the advice though, will look straight into it.

Motoki, I think you're right about about the ghost data being destroyed when the grave is sold. I can't prove this of course without selling the gravestone and saving which would probably be risky. I did check the file to see if the ressurection machine does call on the GUID of the grave in the neighbourhood but can't seem to find such a function.

Anyway, thanks again for testing this guys. If you like, I can post a cloned version of the gravestone. I only reason I made it to be used instead of the regular grave was because followed the guide to a T and assumed that there had to be a grave to ressurect a ghost. Therefore I assumed it would be searching for the GUID of the original grave and then checking whether that grave had a ghost assigned to it.
Instructor
#18 Old 15th Mar 2005 at 1:01 PM
Cathair: I think a separate guid would be good so if you can post it that would be great.

If it wouldn't be too difficult, could you do the various aspiration graves too? The ghost I used your tombstone on to bring back originally died as a fortune sim in platinum with the moneybags tombstone and maybe it's nitpicky, but I'd like to give that back to him if possible lol.

If it's too much of a pain don't worry about it though.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#19 Old 15th Mar 2005 at 2:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Motoki
Cathair: I think a separate guid would be good so if you can post it that would be great.

If it wouldn't be too difficult, could you do the various aspiration graves too? The ghost I used your tombstone on to bring back originally died as a fortune sim in platinum with the moneybags tombstone and maybe it's nitpicky, but I'd like to give that back to him if possible lol.

If it's too much of a pain don't worry about it though.

I understand entirely what you're saying. I will try and look into doing that - though I honestly don't know where to begin. But this is a hacker's resource and I'm sure there will be people willing to help me.

In the meantime, I'll attach the cloned grave. Just remove teh original one you downloaded and place this one in your downloads instead. Please tell me if there's any problem; I've never cloned an object before. Well I have but not for a while.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  gravestone.zip (204.7 KB, 199 downloads)
Instructor
#20 Old 15th Mar 2005 at 9:32 PM
As far as I can tell, the meshes are the same just the texture is different so since your cloned object includes the meshes, it should be possible to set up separate packages as optional recolors with those aspiration grave textures. I'll look into it when I get a chance.
Test Subject
#21 Old 19th Mar 2005 at 3:22 AM
Motoki,

about the criteriawould it help if you established relationships through Sim PE?
Inventor
#22 Old 19th Mar 2005 at 3:38 AM
This sounds like such a great idea to be able to assign a ghost to it's resting place with its other ancestor's rather than where they actually where at the time of their death.
Test Subject
#23 Old 19th Mar 2005 at 5:28 AM
Here is my experience. I sold the Goth house stones by moving them in the house and selling them and put in the following in a residential cemetery I was trying:

Gunther Goth
Cornelia Goth
Simon Crumplebottom
Agnes Crumplebottom
Victor Goth
Gretle Goth
Simis Bachelor
Jocasta Bachelor
Prudence Crumplebottom
Bob Newbie
Bettie Newbie
Frida Goth
Michael Bachelor
Skip Broke
Bob Newbie Sr.
Mags Newbie

She mourned them, their pics showed in thought bubbles and I saved and went back to the neighborhood. All of the graves were gone except for Michael bachelor, Frida Goth, Prudence Crumplebottom.

What did I do wrong?
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 19th Mar 2005 at 8:54 AM
I assinged a tombstone to one of my dead sims saved and exited the game when I went back the stone was gone and so was the sims name from the list I couldn't assign her to another stone
Test Subject
#25 Old 20th Mar 2005 at 8:21 AM
I actually managed to create a haunted community lot cemetery using your Assignable Gravestones. I had to start out with a residential lot, move some Sims in and have them commit suicide (used the InSIMenator to do that) created ghosts with the tombstones, then saved the lot. I went back in and input the code boolProp changeLotZoning true and then the code changeLotZoning community. I saved again and when I went back in the tombstones were still there. I did the whole landscaping, building mausoleum and creating more graves using objects commonly found in the game thing, saved again and went and got one of my Sims and sent her to the lot. I had her go over to one of the tombstones and since I didn't see any ghosts floating around, I clicked on a tombstone and hit create ghost. Up popped a ghost, doing all sorts of ghostly things.

I love your Assignable Gravestones.
Page 1 of 3