Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Neighbourhood terrain: Ocean Peaks

by Duds Posted 9th Mar 2009 at 5:14 PM

32 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 31 Feedback Posts
Page 1 of 2
Test Subject
#2 Old 29th Mar 2005 at 4:52 PM
This is so cool! I love it! Thank you!
Field Researcher
#3 Old 29th Mar 2005 at 5:14 PM
Its really pretty.

The only thing is, with mountains behind a home, the camera is forced to climb up the mountain and its hard to see everything. :/
Instructor
#4 Old 29th Mar 2005 at 6:54 PM
Thank you. Your terrains are nice. Love them, but would LOVE to know how you manage to get the pics show up in the terrain selection area without them looking like crumpled graph paper. If you would be so kind as to tell me your secret it'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

netseeker2
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 29th Mar 2005 at 7:00 PM
very cool, thanks
Test Subject
#6 Old 30th Mar 2005 at 2:14 AM
Chur Cuz your a kiwi?
Love your neihburhood!!! Im from NZ too!! Small world. I dont find many kiwis where i live in the states so im glad to have found one here!! By the way your neihborhood is gorgeous, i have been looking for something just like it for ages! Thanks!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 30th Mar 2005 at 5:19 AM
Thanks for the feed back so far,

Mr Biggles,
the nearby mountains can be a pain, but I use cut away walls and work in from the lower sides, If I want to see the Sims view out I get in close and look out. It would be nice to have the water show up when in the home, for that matter other nearby houses!

Netseeker2,
To get a picture in the neighbourhood selection screen you need to have a picture file (I believe it has to be a .png ) in the SC4Terrain folder that is named the same as the terrain file, [terrainname].sc4 except of course as the picture file extention.

I just went into the neighbourhood, clicked on the camera button, then grabbed the picture (which is recorded as snapshot.bmp in your EA Games/The Sims 2/Storytelling directory) opened a picture editor program and saved as the terrain name in the png format. Then put in the SC4Terrains folder.
From looking at the other files I believe if you want to see a picture when choosing either lush or desert, you need to add a _lush or _desert after the terrain name. (made up a lush and desert terrain to get the ones included above).

Where you may encounter a problem is with zooming out far enough to get a good picture of teh whole terrain, which is where the post...
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=30492
helps out. (I think I might have increase a value in this file a little more too)
Hope that all helps to get rid of the horrible crumpled graph paper !

aschel,
Kia Ora, I'm sure there are many of us that feel the same when we leave the land of the long white cloud With somewhere between 4-5 million kiwi's in the world I'm sure there will be others scattered about the place.
Instructor
#8 Old 30th Mar 2005 at 6:12 AM
Hi Duds,

I want to thank you for taking the time to explain all of that and as thoroughly as you did. I will try it out (probably tomorrow if I get the chance). Anyhow I wrote it all down so I can follow it while offline.

Thank you again

netseeker2
Field Researcher
#9 Old 31st Mar 2005 at 5:05 AM
awesome, thanks!
Instructor
#10 Old 31st Mar 2005 at 5:21 AM
Hi again Duds,

Just wanted to say thanks again because I followed your instructions and NOW I can FINALLY see the terrains and they don't look like crumpled up graph paper anymore! Thanks again.

netseeker2
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 31st Mar 2005 at 5:35 AM
Glad I could help you out netseeker2 !
Happy Simming !
Test Subject
#12 Old 2nd Apr 2005 at 3:44 AM
Wow! I liked this when I saw the picture. Now that I have it downloaded and in my game, I have to say it is amazing! I also thanks you for the tut on the camera change.
I do have one question. Do you by chance have or know where I can get more terrain decoration. Like the big rock outcrops, boulders, trees water tower, etc. I really dig sprucing up my nieghborhoods. Anyway Thanks! - Robar
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 2nd Apr 2005 at 5:00 AM
yay IM from NZ TOO!! woo go me great neighbourhood! Very cool *downloads*
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 3rd Apr 2005 at 8:37 AM
Robar,
Sorry I don't know of any myself, but I found this post where you can get a few more objects to use:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=31859
Field Researcher
#15 Old 7th Apr 2005 at 5:46 PM
Default Ocean Peaks
Duds, I LOVE your Ocean Peaks terrain. I've just recently gotten SC4 specifically to use for making terrains and my first wasn't very successful - I learned the hard way that you have to use a specific road type and that your terrain gets mirrored in Sims 2, and that only a portion of the terrain you create is usable. I did the cheat so I could see and make use of your whole terrain, but it didn't seem to work on the one I did of my own. I'm going to have to revamp it and try again. Thanks for sharing this cool terrain with us. It looks like you've put a lot of hard work into it. By the way, is there any kind of "undo" button when you're creating these terrains in SC4, or are we stuck with what we've done unless we saved it just before we did it?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 8th Apr 2005 at 9:06 AM
momicajack,
I am petty sure that there is no undo unless you do a lot of saving/reloading. I think I took out around five $200k loans in SC4 to get to the finished product
Oh, on the city you made, did you use the smallest city size in SC4 ? I read (somewhere) that you have to use the smallest city size possible, so that might be the problem.
Field Researcher
#17 Old 11th Apr 2005 at 12:11 AM
Default SC4 Terrain
Thanks Duds. I've been messing around with SC4 all weekend and I think I've finally got the hang of it. I was using the right size land, I just wasn't using the right size road after all. I went on to make a couple of other terrains and finally wound up with one that I'm trying to upload to the downloads section, but so far my internet explorer keeps crashing. I've tried twice so far and don't know if I should try again or just wait and see if maybe one of the first two went through after all. I'll be mentioning you as my inspiration to making a mountainous terrain - if I can ever get it to upload, that is.

Momicajack :howdy:
Test Subject
#18 Old 14th Apr 2005 at 3:54 AM
This is very pretty thankyou sooo much!
#19 Old 15th Apr 2005 at 11:08 PM
[QUOTE=Duds]Hey all,

Yes, I know that I spelt neighbourhood with a u but I'm from New Zealand :howdy:

[QUOTE]
kool im frm nz too :bump: haha dat smileys kool
Test Subject
#20 Old 19th Apr 2005 at 4:43 AM
thank you very much! it's one of the nicest i've seen around
Instructor
#21 Old 20th Apr 2005 at 1:52 PM
LOVE the neighborhood! how can I make one?
Test Subject
#22 Old 21st Apr 2005 at 10:38 AM
Hey, I'm in Wellington New Zealand! Aint that awesome!
Your island is wicked, speaking of NZ, there should be a neighbourhood shaped like it! By the way Duds what part of NZ are you at?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#23 Old 21st Apr 2005 at 11:54 AM
Daman199942
To make up the terrains you need to have Sim City 4, then its a matter of designing the landscape, grabbing the city file and placing it in your Sims 2 SC4terrains folder.

oldman
I'm from Auckland, so theres at least 4 kiwi's here.
Test Subject
#24 Old 21st Apr 2005 at 8:04 PM
This is great! Thank you!
Test Subject
#25 Old 30th May 2005 at 11:50 PM
Pack Grandma's urn and kiss Meadow goodbye! It's moving day!
Page 1 of 2