Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Apr 2005 at 10:00 PM
Neighborhood Movies
Is there a way, like a file I can edit, to change the neighborhood selection videos? (Like the ones that came on the three neighborhoods with the original game?)

If you could get me an answer that'd be great 'cause I'm getting bored of my custom neighborhoods having the same image that does nothing all the time.

Thanks.

"Why do you always have to ask those type of questions?"

SBSaxophone07
My E-Mail
Advertisement
Banned
#2 Old 7th Jul 2005 at 2:30 PM
I want a tutorial on this aswell Its getting bugging Just having a PIC

Someone help
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 7th Jul 2005 at 2:57 PM
I have been wondering the same thing. Great question!
Inventor
#4 Old 7th Jul 2005 at 5:58 PM
I know how to change the image, but haven't yet figured out videos. Hold on.
Test Subject
#5 Old 7th Jul 2005 at 11:20 PM
Well for the fancy photos, you can go into you neighbor hood sub folders and replace the pick with a cool one you maid in a paint system, and for the story board that shows up when you click on a neighborhood, take pictures of whatever to fill up the space,then go make some custome ones and replace the files under the storyboard subfolder.

Should I explain this more or do you understand?

But,as for the camera panning in when you click on your neighbor hood,I have no clue,I'm not even sure how the get the cam to work that well!
Inventor
#6 Old 9th Jul 2005 at 1:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SBSaxophone07
Is there a way, like a file I can edit, to change the neighborhood selection videos? (Like the ones that came on the three neighborhoods with the original game?)

If you could get me an answer that'd be great 'cause I'm getting bored of my custom neighborhoods having the same image that does nothing all the time.

Thanks.

I made a tutorial on this in the General Modding Tutorials section.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#7 Old 9th Jul 2005 at 1:58 AM
mod_bv, SBSaxophone07 was talking about creating a flyaround movie for a custom neighbourhood, just like you have for the three Maxis neighbourhoods.
If you look closely, though, you'll see that these aren't actually movies, but more like a series of camera moves as when you add lots to the neighbourhood, you can see them on the flyaround... there must be a data file somewhere with the camera information for this. Anyone know where it is?
Inventor
#8 Old 9th Jul 2005 at 2:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
mod_bv, SBSaxophone07 was talking about creating a flyaround movie for a custom neighbourhood, just like you have for the three Maxis neighbourhoods.
If you look closely, though, you'll see that these aren't actually movies, but more like a series of camera moves as when you add lots to the neighbourhood, you can see them on the flyaround... there must be a data file somewhere with the camera information for this. Anyone know where it is?

Yes, it is a REIA file.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#9 Old 9th Jul 2005 at 2:32 AM
Yes, but which one in particular relates to the neighbourhood intro... and how do you make one for your custom neighbourhoods?
Inventor
#10 Old 9th Jul 2005 at 3:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Yes, but which one in particular relates to the neighbourhood intro... and how do you make one for your custom neighbourhoods?

1. In each neighborhood folder(besides custom Nhoods), there is a REIA file.

2. I am trying to find out.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#11 Old 9th Jul 2005 at 3:29 AM
mod_bv, I hope you can! I'm not even sure what a .reia file is... it doesn't seem to be a common format, is it just particular to TS2? If you could figure this out a lot of people would be very grateful! By the way, forgot to say in my last post that I like your tutorial for the neighbourhood images- very useful!
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 9th Jul 2005 at 7:59 PM
As I was talking about in Mod_bv's great tutorial on how to change the pic, it is most likely the reia file as when you create a custom neighborhood this file is not there. As for finding how to create this type of file I have no idea. I searched it up on the web at CKNOW and it is not a file type they regognise, I also went to google where I found nothing else but a REAL ESTATE INVESTMENT ANAYLISIS. Anooying but for the moment no chance. Sorry but I am still searching through all the files I can to see even where the neighborhood flyby video is!
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 10th Jul 2005 at 12:54 AM
Well I just have confirmed it is the reia file that shows the moving picture, however it is not the file used for the neighborhood flyby video.

I made a new neighborhood that used pleasantviews terrain, then copied the reia file, reanmed it N004_Neighbourhood and then in the game it showed the moving pick.

Here's some the picks I took to confirm it being the reia file.
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 10th Jul 2005 at 1:01 AM
I recently found out that there was Maxiod's on this site, so could one of you brilliant people please explain the reia file and the neighbourhood flyby video. PLEASE

Thanks in advance
I'm a poet and I kind of did know it!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#15 Old 10th Jul 2005 at 2:52 AM
Banned
#16 Old 10th Jul 2005 at 2:51 AM
Maybe there is some way to make a video yourself and replace the one in the file. :/

It seems too complicated to get smooth movements like the default ones, though, but then again good hands with the mouse and WASDQ and E keys could do it.
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 10th Jul 2005 at 11:44 AM
Pokeylope are you talking about the n/h flyby video after the n/h has loaded or are you talking about the moving pic (reia file).

I have yet to find the neighborhood flyby video.

There is no way at the moment to change the comressed data within the reia file as we have no program to open it with. Sadly it is true, all we have changing it to a pic in Mod_bv's great tutorial.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 10th Jul 2005 at 12:30 PM Last edited by caz100 : 10th Jul 2005 at 12:34 PM.
Right, I have been searching through a number of different files to see how they differ from my custom neighborhood but currently I am stuck. I can't find the neighborhood flyby video for any of the 3 default neighbourhoods which as started me thinking.

It is not a video we see, it is just a programmed camera to move along the neighborhood like that. I think this is a possiblity as we see our own houses as well, not just the maxis houses.

Anybody care to back me up and prove it as I have no idea about cameras and how to modify them.
Banned
#19 Old 10th Jul 2005 at 2:48 PM
Well, that might be how the cutscenes work, too, then. Anything in the background shows up, too.
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 10th Jul 2005 at 3:24 PM
Yeah, I think so cause in the cameras folder there is a CineCamCameras file and those cutscenes are called "cinecams".

So if I am right we need a camera modder to get us our flyby video.
Test Subject
#21 Old 18th Aug 2005 at 4:30 AM
hi people!

I little bit off-topic: where can I find these .reia files in the install packages on CDs? I have one of them (N002_neighborhood.reia) corrupted after a formating proccess in my PC and I'd like to replace only this file, without having to install all game again.

Someone could help me?

Thanks
Edinei
Test Subject
#22 Old 18th Aug 2005 at 10:59 AM
They're DEFFINETLY not videos I can tell you that for a fact. I also know they're not videos as my old graphics card lagged so much when the flyby was playing (9600XT), now with my X850XT PE it's as smooth as silk. As you said aswell, if it was a video it would not show any changes to the neighbourhood since the neighbourhood was made. The little 'special' movies are camera movements aswell with clever pixel shading used I'm still shocked people thought they were videos :confused:
Inventor
#23 Old 18th Aug 2005 at 1:29 PM
Ematos, delete the N002_Neighbothood.reia file. It should automatically be recreated when you go into Strangetown (I think)
Test Subject
#24 Old 19th Sep 2005 at 2:01 AM
I guess no one hasn't figured it out? It would be cool to have those camera shots on custom neighborhoods, too bad it can't be made.
Inventor
#25 Old 20th Sep 2005 at 1:11 PM
Siedler, that's right. This thread is dead. Sorry.
Locked thread
Page 1 of 2