Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

FLW Keys house in Rochester Mn **No EP**

by jeditojansims Posted 25th Apr 2005 at 3:13 AM - Updated 29th Apr 2005 at 10:03 AM by jeditojansims : Fix problems installing house in 2nd copy of Sims 2 on same computer

12 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 11 Feedback Posts
Test Subject
#2 Old 27th Apr 2005 at 6:27 PM
looks pretty good. i will try it out, thanks for sharing it with us :-)
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 28th Apr 2005 at 5:09 AM
Hi I've actually been to this house (I'm from Lake city, Mn which is about 10 miles south of Rochester) And I have to say that this is one of the best recreations I've seen!! Please do more
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 28th Apr 2005 at 9:16 PM
Can't wait to play it, thanks! Looks great

An FYI on hacks and lots...to really build clean lots you need to have a separate Windows account just for building with no downloads, hacks or otherwise. Stupid Maxis packaging system sucks in everything when you package up a lot :banghead:

Jen
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 29th Apr 2005 at 12:00 AM
Default Have you been inside the Keys house?
Quote: Originally posted by kellyw54
Hi I've actually been to this house (I'm from Lake city, Mn which is about 10 miles south of Rochester) And I have to say that this is one of the best recreations I've seen!! Please do more

Have you been inside the Keys house? I would like to know how it compares with the orginal floor plans. I know that they changed the car port into a guest bedroom with a bath and expanded the living room in 1971 according to "The Frank Lloyd Wright Companion" book. That book is great, but costs $90. There is a CD of the book that I have seen listed on the web for $58.

I live in Rochester, Mn. There are also a McBean and the Bulbulian house here. I was going to do the Bulbulian house next, but I think I had better practice on the simpler houses for a while as it is a multilevel split. You know half a flight up and half a flight of stairs down. There is also a FLW house in Austin, Mn, but looking at the pictures I think it would be hard to see much of it from the road.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 29th Apr 2005 at 12:06 AM
Default Using a separate Windows Account?
Quote: Originally posted by jenwar
An FYI on hacks and lots...to really build clean lots you need to have a separate Windows account just for building with no downloads, hacks or otherwise. Stupid Maxis packaging system sucks in everything when you package up a lot :banghead:

Wouldn't that take a lot of disk space to add another copy of Sims 2 on your computer?

The Sims 2 would probably run a lot faster without all the hacks, objects, skins, paintings and neighborhoods I have downloaded...

I could also make it my FLW Sims2 copy. Can you safely delete the orginal neighborhoods that came with the game?
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 29th Apr 2005 at 3:46 AM
It doesn't add another copy of the game, just the folders that are in your "My documents" directory so it really doesn't add that much to your disk space. It plays off the same game files as your regular game. It runs *way* fast on my computer (I submit lots over at TSR), I am a total download junkie so it makes a huge difference.

I don't know if you can delete the original neighborhoods, but I don't see why not...you could always create that second account and try it there rather than on your "playing" account

Jen
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 29th Apr 2005 at 2:13 PM
Default Second copy of Sims 2 on computer
I tried it last night and it works a Jenwar says. It just creates a new copy of the EA Games folder in the current user's My Documents folder. It is amazing how fast it loads without all the downloads. All your default files work are still there.

I could not load my FLW houses that I downloaded back from MTS2. It seems I am not doing the cleaning correctly or something. I made a new sims pack of each FLW house installed them in my second game and deleted all the downloads installed in the Sims2/download folder. I started the second Sims 2 and installed the FLW houses in my FLW neighborhood. I created packages of the FLW houses then stopped the game, installed the new packages, started the games and they were waiting to be moved to a neightborhood.

No one had reported any problems with the other zip files I uploaded to MTS2, but I replaced the zip files here anyway.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 5th May 2005 at 8:42 PM
Average Houses??
Quote: Originally posted by pb4266_2000
Average to Crap me thinks. :hdown:

Well your previous post on the Dream House was nicer.

I assume from your posts that you do not know that Frank Lloyd Wright was one of the best and advanced designers of his time. He house designs were a way ahead of everyone else of his time. It is because of his designs that we have the houses today that we do.. :Slap:
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 5th May 2005 at 8:58 PM
I've been in the one in Austin that's gorgeous I've never been in the one in Rochester just driven past. I always thought Rochester was a very weird place for a FLW house to be lol Must have been built for a dr at the Mayo clinic lol
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 5th May 2005 at 9:38 PM
Austin, Mn
Quote: Originally posted by kellyw54
I've been in the one in Austin that's gorgeous I've never been in the one in Rochester just driven past. I always thought Rochester was a very weird place for a FLW house to be lol Must have been built for a dr at the Mayo clinic lol

Is the one in Austin, Mn open to the public or were you just visiting someone?

The Keys house was built for the head librarian at Mayo Clinic. The McBean and Bulbulian house were build for doctors at the Mayo Clinic. I was suprised that there were 3 FLW houses in Rochester, Mn, also.

I spent my teenage years in Bartlesville, Ok and they have the Price Tower designed and built by FLW. It is even signed by him. I posted some pictures of it in another forum trying to get someone to build some FLW walls for me. Search on Price Tower in MTS2 and you will find them.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 11th Jun 2005 at 12:42 AM
... ok, this is really sort of random... but I always think it's SOOO WEIRD to hear people talking about Minnesota anywhere but actually here in Minnesota... I sort of forget that the rest of the world knows we exist! lol... I've seen some of FLW's houses before, my ex boyfriend had archetects for parents and they were obsessed.... you're doing a great job at recreating them, I'm lovin' it... keep it up!
Test Subject
#13 Old 27th Oct 2005 at 12:55 AM
The architecture is on point. very nice. Gracias.