Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd May 2005 at 4:37 PM
Default Better basements
I am new, so this may (probably) have been posted/discussed already.

Basements in TS2 are very basic and frustrating. At least that was how I felt when I first started building my own homes.

Build a foundation/hollow it out/lower the floor... You've all done it a dozen times. But I was not satisfied.

The walls of such a basement were almost totally unusable (MoveObjects on comment in 3, 2, 1... ). Getting the floor the right depth was a pain (cue the connecting stairs reply...).

You see my point (or not... :confused: ). So what I did was take myself on a journey thru some (a LOT) of sites/tutorials/notes/threads/BAD SPELLING/and just plain junk. What I found was a few nuggets of gold (and a lot of..."stuff"...).

I have put some of it togather into a tutorial (my first such attempt, so be kind, please?). Check it out here:

My better basements tutorial

Other items I working on in this are walkout basements without hollow foundations (still in progress). Basement windows (all but given up). And tips/tricks of aligning a basement to your first floor.

More later, the wife calls...
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 3rd May 2005 at 4:55 PM
Ok this has been talked about a lot so if you want to find something specific please press search at top right and type what u want to know about or a subject to talk about and then find all the sub forums.

You should know it is specificly mentioned not to open new threads unless you have thourely searched the site for an anwser first

(sorry im kinda evill you probably didnt know that above look at some of the forum rules and read in general fast and you will see what im saying there are a few things that are dodji i read it carefully slowley but dont do that if your trying to post comments probably want to read fast)

(P.S I speak to much about nothing probably cos i have nothing to do when i come here other than to complain)

Sorry :banned:
Field Researcher
#3 Old 3rd May 2005 at 5:18 PM
Can you do a 2 level basement?
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 3rd May 2005 at 5:31 PM
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 3rd May 2005 at 6:03 PM
SpikesGall, you are soooo right.

Just went and re-read MikeInside's basement tutorials.

DUH!

Will be posting links to his work instead of trying to write my own.

PS: He doesn't actually go into this, so here is a summary I just tested.

1: Use the connecting stairs (3 sets) to get the right depth (for a standard basement). Delete the stairs.

2: Use the Level Terrain tool to dig your basement.

3: Put a standard wall all the way around your basement FLOOR.

4: Put a one square foundation outside the basement wall.

5: Floor over the stairs, leaving holes for the stairs.

You now have a basement with fully usable walls and not a single cheat!

Much bette than my method.

Kudos to MikeInside
Field Researcher
#6 Old 3rd May 2005 at 11:01 PM
Well, thank you for the attempt CERuppel. It was very nice of you. One of the MANY reasons I never post anything here other than responses to other people's work is because of how judgmental and whiney some people can be on these forums. I just know that if I posted something, I would get like, 1 star and 80 complaints or remarks about someone else has already done it better. lol
Slacker of Immense Slackness
retired moderator
#7 Old 4th May 2005 at 3:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SeaZephyr
Well, thank you for the attempt CERuppel. It was very nice of you. One of the MANY reasons I never post anything here other than responses to other people's work is because of how judgmental and whiney some people can be on these forums. I just know that if I posted something, I would get like, 1 star and 80 complaints or remarks about someone else has already done it better. lol

These forums are no whinier than any other forums I've ever been to =D But really if you are going to look for excuses not to post stuff based on being criticised, well its better not to think of ever posting anything!

<:3))~~ Loverat
"In some cultures what I do is considered normal"

www.loverat.net Check it out for other recolours & lot uploads =D
Test Subject
#8 Old 4th May 2005 at 3:17 AM
There is quite a difference between constructive criticism and being criticized ... especially considering we are, after all, only playing a game.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#9 Old 4th May 2005 at 4:21 PM
I'm not sure what Ceruppel was meant to have done wrong in the first place, anyway.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 11th Jul 2005 at 1:08 PM
Honestly, sometimes, I've a hard time to get around or search things through the site...

It seems I'm getting lost somehow...

I'd better learn more vocabs...
Instructor
#12 Old 15th Jul 2005 at 4:59 PM
This thread had gotten off topic...

Thanks for making this tutorial, CERuppel. I'm sorry the first response you got was so useless. I am always appreciative of ways to make things simpler, and I appreciate that you made this.
Locked thread | Locked by: ThreadMover Reason: Outdated / No Replies