Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Testers Wanted: Recolorable Teapot with Glasses - Sculpture

by LexisAtNexus Posted 27th May 2005 at 8:47 PM - Updated 1st Jun 2005 at 12:20 PM by LexisAtNexus

30 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 29 Feedback Posts
Page 1 of 2
Scholar
#2 Old 27th May 2005 at 8:54 PM
That's cute! Is it EP Ready or just for University since you said it has University add-ons?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 27th May 2005 at 9:07 PM
Is there a difference between EP-Ready and University-Addon usable?

I always thought EP-Read means ExpansionPack Ready.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 27th May 2005 at 9:52 PM
could you post the poly count? it looks nice
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 27th May 2005 at 10:20 PM
Its 6408 Polys and 3166 Vertices. I know its a lot for such a little thing but all the curves in the potty and Glasses required so much.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 27th May 2005 at 10:55 PM Last edited by LexisAtNexus : 28th May 2005 at 1:24 PM.
Thanks to boblishman. I now know that my information concerning poly and vertex count was wrong, so maybe if you all wait a little while I can manage this problem and reduce the count.

Sorry for the trouble.
Test Subject
#7 Old 27th May 2005 at 11:50 PM
Ah, the 3dsmax default teapot primitive is it not? I would suggest placing the teapot again with fewer segments though. The sims(2) isn't built for that kind of detail in such a small object. Imagine how the game would run if all the objects in the game had that many polys. 5 segments is MORE than enough detail and comes out at 1560 polys. You could easily reduce the unnecissary vertices and reduce it to under a thousand and have it still look great.
Test Subject
#8 Old 27th May 2005 at 11:52 PM
One more thing (Why can't we edit our posts and not have to double?) , did you fill in the gap around the lid if it's still there post version 6?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 28th May 2005 at 12:02 AM
The problem is that i used as few segments as i could but as somebody said you have to triangulate every poly and that causes the problems. If you tell me now that I can use also normal polys then somebody should change this tutorial. (at ambertation.com)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 28th May 2005 at 12:03 AM
or was it ambertation.de?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 28th May 2005 at 12:09 AM
I made the teapot with 5 Segments, converted everything to an editable mesh and fild all the gaps. Then cleaned up the objects, i.e.deleting duplicate polys etc. and then the tutorial said I have to triangulate everything to make it work in sims2. Before triangulation I only had a count of 1198 vertices and 2344 polys.
Test Subject
#12 Old 28th May 2005 at 12:14 AM
The polys triangulate themselves when you export the mesh, and the polycount I posted was with triangulated polys. You can still drastically reduce the count. You have to keep in mind at what distance you're going to see the objects when you're making them for the sims. Things that look round in the game will look blocky if you actually got close up to them like you can in the 3DS viewports. The screens you posted are about as close as a player is going to get to the see the model, so you could reduce the polys alot and it would look the same ingame due to resolution.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 28th May 2005 at 12:24 AM
do you know how to reduce them furthermore then i could with the optimize function of 3dMax?
Test Subject
#14 Old 28th May 2005 at 12:25 AM
K, here's and example I whipped up.

That pot has 1060. I took out some excess, and if you're picky there are places you could detail up. But basically a player won't see the difference between this and the highly detailed one you posted above.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 28th May 2005 at 1:27 AM
I am too tired now, i reduced the polys as much as I could and when using this mesh, the texture isnt displayed properly.

I use this mesh with over 10000 other downloads, half of them meshes, and dont have any slow down problems. So if u guys dont mind, I let this mesh with that high poly count stay here and consider the polycount with my new objects. Neither is this object a quite interesting one. I promise I'll make some more interesting.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 28th May 2005 at 1:29 AM
And as I said before, the posted above isnt more detailed than others, the only problem is the triangulation I performed.
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 28th May 2005 at 5:44 AM
it looks nice
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 28th May 2005 at 12:12 PM
fab /////// thanks ...
Scholar
#19 Old 28th May 2005 at 1:07 PM
lovely - thanks you so much
Test Subject
Original Poster
#20 Old 28th May 2005 at 1:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lemonfield
One more thing (Why can't we edit our posts and not have to double?) , did you fill in the gap around the lid if it's still there post version 6?

You can edit your Messages, the tricky thing is, that when you open the edit screen there is on the right hand side a little arrow, if you click that it will rollout the changing-menu.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#21 Old 28th May 2005 at 1:32 PM Last edited by LexisAtNexus : 28th May 2005 at 1:35 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Lemonfield
The polys triangulate themselves when you export the mesh, and the polycount I posted was with triangulated polys. You can still drastically reduce the count.

I now played around a little with 3DSMaxs Optimize Function, its a good deal of reducing.

The only problem I now have is that when I export such a reduced mesh and import it to milkshape there is something wrong. I dont actually know whether it is the mesh or my way to assign the texture. If I preview it in SimPE everything is displaying right, but in the game the texture only partly is attached to the mesh, the rest is purely white. (As if the mapping was changed when saving it in the .package file)

So, for today I dont have more time, I HAVE to go swimming . It is so hot here that you could go out naked and still will be swetting.
Field Researcher
#22 Old 28th May 2005 at 3:52 PM
I downloaded a teapot from a different site. I don't remember where I got it from. It was a sculpture also. I liked the teapot in the sims1. The sims could drink tea from it. Is there anyway someone could make it so sims drink tea in the sims2?
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 28th May 2005 at 4:29 PM
Very cute! Thanks!
Field Researcher
#24 Old 29th May 2005 at 1:22 AM
Thanks will give it a whirl. Quote:"If you are interested in recoloring and want to know the structure of the texture, just ask and I will make a UV-Screenshot." So, I am interested. Will you make that UV screenshot?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#25 Old 1st Jun 2005 at 12:14 PM
UV-Map
Here is the UV-Map.
Screenshots
Page 1 of 2