Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Testers wanted: Ultra-Gnome 3000 **UPDATED**

by fwiffo Posted 12th Jun 2005 at 2:21 AM - Updated 21st Jun 2005 at 12:01 AM by fwiffo

66 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 64 Feedback Posts, 1 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 3
Test Subject
#2 Old 12th Jun 2005 at 2:25 AM
Sounds cool ^_^ I'll try it out
Test Subject
#3 Old 12th Jun 2005 at 2:36 AM
Hmmm...It didn't kill my sims =/ Took down all of my Sims' status except for hunger. So I'm not sure how it's supposed kill them XD Though it did make my Sims wet themselves and four Social Bunnies come XD
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 12th Jun 2005 at 2:48 AM
Hehe, that's just one of several possibilities. Trust me, at least one of the current countermeasures is a guaranteed fatality.
Test Subject
#5 Old 12th Jun 2005 at 2:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by fwiffo
Hehe, that's just one of several possibilities. Trust me, at least one of the current countermeasures is a guaranteed fatality.

So do I just kick it more? Or maybe by another gnome? :confused:

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."—George W. Bush; Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004
Test Subject
#6 Old 12th Jun 2005 at 2:54 AM
There, I got my first shocker! He lived though ^_^;; I just think I'm lucky
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 12th Jun 2005 at 2:58 AM
Yeah, the shock is survivable if their status aren't too low. I'll probably need to find a way to make the gnome fireproof for that though. :-/
Field Researcher
#8 Old 12th Jun 2005 at 3:35 AM
So the neighbors will still try to kick it and steal it? So that means i'll have to quit and not save if someone I liked dies, right?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 12th Jun 2005 at 3:48 AM
Yes, if your favorite sims are into molesting gnomes, you may want to keep them away from this one. I plant to have three settings in a future version - "mild", "severe" and "lethal".
Scholar
#10 Old 12th Jun 2005 at 10:01 AM
This Ultra-Gnome 3000 sounds pretty cool, I'll have to try it out and get back to you. Thank you for sharing it.
#11 Old 12th Jun 2005 at 11:02 AM
LOL! XD Great!
Field Researcher
#12 Old 12th Jun 2005 at 2:54 PM
XD? dunno what that means, but i do know what the Ulra Gnome 3000 means... REVENGE muah ha ha ha ha !
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 12th Jun 2005 at 10:18 PM
Great going to try this out as soon as we get our camera fixed, hope it works without the ep. guess we'll see.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 13th Jun 2005 at 12:59 AM
Originally it was going to be EP requried because one of the countermeasures was cribbed from an EP object, but I haven't gotten that one working yet, so it's stubbed out. I haven't tested it without the EP, so I'll be interested to hear any feedback from people that don't have it.
Test Subject
#15 Old 13th Jun 2005 at 9:17 PM
How about a text thing in the corner comes up and it says "Your Ultra-Knome 3000 is contacting the Grim Reaper. Please wait while he arrives."
Then the Grim Reaper comes and does the "Die of Old Age" Killing. Could it work?
Test Subject
#16 Old 13th Jun 2005 at 9:49 PM
Haha, this would be excellent for mystery/horror movies.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 14th Jun 2005 at 5:15 AM
As much as possible, I want to make it feel like a gnome with various booby traps. One right now is a swarm of flies that kills your sim. The electric shock is another. I want to add a "poison gas" which kills the sim and has some sort of green smoke effect like on plates gone bad. Another will set the sim on fire.

I've got some other, more complicated ideas but I want to see if they'll actually work before I make too many promises.
Test Subject
#18 Old 14th Jun 2005 at 5:32 AM
Niiice, now gnomes have revenge!

*see avatar* Please refrain from setting yourself on fire. Thank you.
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 14th Jun 2005 at 5:34 AM
I tried your little Gnome, lined up one of each color across the lawn, and the only thing I have had happen so far (4 Sim days) is: Ophelia came home from school with my teen, she walked over to it wet herself then left :confused: I guess they don't like mine, I will keep trying though. I just love Death by Flies :devil2:
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#20 Old 14th Jun 2005 at 1:53 PM
Hehe, it worked. The "bladder buster" is one of the milder countermeasures. Any visitor will go home if one of their needs get really low, and in this case, it was their bladder, and then after she peed herself, hygene.

I'm surprised you've only had one assault on your gnomes in four days. Maybe you have really nice neighbors.

I have found a bug where sometimes someone who is attempting to steal the gnome will reset and "jump out" and not get the "consequence". I'm not sure what's causing it yet, but it only seems to happen occasionally.

Expect an updated version soon. It should fix that bug, and add at least one new punishment (it's a good one), and add a configuration menu to let you choose the lethality of the countermeasures.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#21 Old 15th Jun 2005 at 6:35 AM
I've just uploaded a new version that fixes a bug or two and adds a really cool new punishment. It's still a beta test object, and the new punishment is a lot fancier than any of the old ones, so be sure to back up your game and give it a thorough run through its paces before you start using it on a regular basis. Note: the new version has two .package files and both are required.

I had intended to add a few more things - espesically configurability, but I want to work on something else for a bit and didn't want to leave the stuff I'd added to the gnome in limbo.
Test Subject
#22 Old 16th Jun 2005 at 6:41 PM
Thanks dude, finally those pesky neighbors can't take this puppy, the only problem is MY sims kick it and die. Just wondering if it is possible to design it, so that sims in the current family don't die from it. Either way, this thing is awesome :D
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#23 Old 16th Jun 2005 at 10:08 PM
Well, it's kinda a joke object I made to teach myself simantics. Just restricting it so that members of the house don't die isn't perfect - some sim you really like might come over and kick it and get electrocuted which can start a huge fire. Or a really cool neighbor could try to steal it and die outright. So maybe I will add options to set it in non-lethal mode, or to only attack townies, or stranges or unfriendly sims or something. Anyhow, there's only a 1 in 8 chance right now of a sim getting a lethal response from the gnome. You can handle those odds, can'tcha?

I'm a little bummed that I haven't gotten any comments on the newest feature. It's the best one by far, and took some work. :-/
Test Subject
#24 Old 17th Jun 2005 at 7:35 AM
Sorry me for stupid question. It works perfectly with my EP. 8-]
Field Researcher
#25 Old 18th Jun 2005 at 3:33 AM Last edited by Ancient Sim : 18th Jun 2005 at 3:41 AM.
I only downloaded this today, so I can't be sure which of the 4 results I've had so far is your "newest feature", but I'm pretty sure! If it's what I think it is (don't want to give too much away and spoil the fun), all I can say is - BRILLIANT! Oddly enough, the Sim it happened to was a CAS-created one I hadn't played in absolutely ages and was thinking of getting rid of - now I will have to go and play her lol. Not sure what her boyfriend is going to think of all this, but we'll soon find out. I never expected this to happen I must admit, it's hilarious! Can't wait to see the result!

I also had a Sim die of flies, the horrid townie Komei Tellerman. Normally I'd have been glad to see the back of him, but I've got plans for him involving Lilith Dreamer (nee Pleasant) - his only best friend in the game. Dirk is due to die soon but she has quite a few years left and I thought I might get them together, because quite frankly they deserve each other. Might even turn them into a couple of zombies. Anyway, I teleported Louise (as I renamed her, already had my own Lilith) onto the lot where poor Komei met his demise and she managed to save him. He was so grateful he immediately invited her to play a game of kicky-bag. Louise took no notice of the gnome, she was only interested in kicking the flamingos.

Another townie, Melissa Fancey (not one of my favourites) peed herself, an ex-dormie fell asleep and another ex-dormie went home all black (the gnome didn't ignite incidentally, so there was no fire). This is a great hack - I love the element of surprise!

WHY DO SIMS NEVER EXPERIENCE A MID-LIFE CRISIS?
Page 1 of 3