Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Fully Functioning Working Basements

by snappledude21 Posted 30th Jun 2005 at 5:23 AM - Updated 23rd Jul 2005 at 3:21 AM by snappledude21 : works again

65 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 64 Feedback Posts
Page 1 of 3
Test Subject
Original Poster
#2 Old 1st Jul 2005 at 2:58 AM
Since i posted this at an odd time, in a different forum yesterday (and i won't do this again) i just wanted to make sure everyone saw this hack, since i'm sure 99% of people want a fully functioning basement (foundation) with doors/windows. Won't double post again. Thank you.
#3 Old 1st Jul 2005 at 5:27 AM
nice hack, cant wait to try
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 5th Jul 2005 at 4:14 AM
edited and taken down for the moment just so that it can be made to work per the request of numenor on his suggestion. It'll be back and working without any conflicts.

Mike
Field Researcher
#5 Old 7th Jul 2005 at 4:31 AM
truly amazing.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 8th Jul 2005 at 12:04 AM
almost back to working status. Will have up over the weekend again
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 10th Jul 2005 at 3:31 AM
Ok it works. Everyone enjoy.
Forum Resident
#8 Old 10th Jul 2005 at 9:13 PM
Thanks for the help it works perfect.
Instructor
#9 Old 18th Jul 2005 at 4:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
I'm sorry, but your mod is *not* compatible with my custom walls, nor any other one. As you know, only 1 "walls.txt" can be installed in the game, and the file you have posted, in its current form, doesn't contain anything but your custom walls and the Maxis ones. Therefore, if someone has previously installed my walls or Foreverjadon's pools, your file will overwrite the existing one, and all the previously installed custom walls will be lost.

I'm trying to find a solution to this problem, possibly a solution that will easily permit unexperienced users to safely manage the custom walls.

Hi Numenor, I use your wall.txt as my default. I've been experimenting with such foundations and all I did was to include the option "Can attach objects" to the deck foundations. This allows to place doors and windows in foundations.
The problem I found is that you cannot "cut-down" foundations. So, it is damn difficult to watch inside those.

The elementary solution I found was to delete one side of the foundation and replace it by walls. Walls cut down automatically so I can see the inside.

The other problem is that the side with walls cannot be underground, so I built a half buried basement. Very complicated because many tricks are involved, such as have to create a lot of foundation first to delete after.

But the point is that, every further work has to be based on Numenor's otherwise his invisible work will not work. If it is understandable.
Test Subject
#10 Old 18th Jul 2005 at 7:32 PM
Cool...now i can make a nice basement for my sims...
Field Researcher
#11 Old 18th Jul 2005 at 9:05 PM
thank you!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 21st Jul 2005 at 3:46 AM
Default yea, hmmm
Ok i have a second, been so busy working, will edit this and give better instructions Numenor.

Mike
Test Subject
#13 Old 21st Jul 2005 at 5:01 PM
Help
I did exactly as your instructions stated, but when I go into the game and into foundations there are not any new options there at all. Did i do something wrong? I did remove the original scripts and put them in a safe place.
#14 Old 22nd Jul 2005 at 3:50 AM
How do i download the basement thing????
[COLOR=Orange]How do i download the basement thing???[/COLOR]
Quote: Originally posted by snappledude21
UPDATED IMPROVED AND FIXED FOR ALL, AND FOR NUMENOR
NOTE: If you downloaded very early on there was a critical error which is now thankfully, fixed. Just redownload, everything is fine now

Simple mod that shouldn't have taken this long. TADA doors (and windows) in a foundation. This will work with university and original (or any future expansions, i should think) and has compatibility with any other mod's like Numenor's invisible walls and the extra pools by foreverjardon.

INSTRUCTIONS
Attached are two .txt files that you can use to edit your foundations. Take the two attached files (open them, copy and paste) into walls.txt and deckfoundations.txt at the end of the file, which are located in in C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2\TSData\Res\Catalog\Scripts. Take the original walls.txt and deckfoundations.txt files out of there first and save them in a do not delete folder somewhere safe. You can now start the game and enjoy the hack.

Upon opening the build mode and choosing foundations, you'll see two new options. The thumbnails are messed up, and I don't know how to fix them, but its OK i swear And they are labeled correctly, one foundation, one latticed deck.

At this point you put down the new foundation (you could as easily use the new latticed deck, but it helps make things more complicated). This should be the size/shape (any shape works) you want your foundation to be in the end.

If placing your new deck/foundation at ground level, there are less steps.
Put a piece of wallpaper on the foundation that has a top and bottom on the foundation. Lower the ground so you can see the bottom of that piece of wallpaper ONLY (not the top of the next piece of wallpaper) and level the ground around the entire area of the foundation (including under neath). You will need to drag outside the existing foundation otherwise it will not let you level the land under the foundation.

Now, place a piece of the new foundation around the entire deck area in any shape, so long as it covers every piece of the deck wall. Now (and this is important) DELETE the foundation you just surrounded the deck with *UNDOING WILL NOT ACHIEVE THE DESIRED EFFECT*. Once you delete the foundation around your deck, the deck will have magically become a foundation, full with recolarable walls, and placable doors and windows! Its like, wax on, wax off, the surrounding new foundation passes its traits to the deck that you placed. However, foundations placed underground will (fairly obviously) not allow light in through windows. It just won't work....however...

If you want an above ground foundation, the doors and windows will allow in light. To get an above ground foundation, simply raise the ground
*12 CLICKS* (or multiples of 12) in a square (12 is the number of clicks that a floor is), and place a deck at that height at the size you want, and repeat the above process.

Once windows are placed, don't lower the ground inside the foundation or the wall will get all messed up (easily undoable by clicking undo....but still). To keep the basement the height you want it at, just place a tile down over the entire surface, and then add water around the outside of the basement, lower the ground around it, etc. Another very neat trick i'd suggest, is to place a standard wall inside the new foundation. This allows for perfectly level ground next to the apparent foundation wall, though it will actually be a false wall...i'll post a picture showing the different neat ways to exploit this.

THE PICTURES
The whole point to these is to show that you can put water under the walls, showing the foundation goes to infinite depth, proving its a foundation and not simply walls at a low ground level. I have several happy residents living in this type of house and you'd be AMAZED at the types of situations you can create with this new feature. Obviously you don't want to flood your basement...though now you could . And the last picture is to show some options for clever placement of inside walls to allow a more realistic look.

CLOSING

ANY questions, post them in here. ENJOY. And thanks to Delphy for moving this over here now that its a finished hack, to higgens534 for his objects on walls hack that gave me the idea for this, and Numenor for a bit of help at getting this more community friendly (AKA registered and done a better way than i had originally done). I'll repost something similar in the hackers database.

Snappledude21

I'll post more pictures
The ModFather
retired moderator
#15 Old 23rd Jul 2005 at 9:45 AM
Thanks Snappledude, for having made your hack compatible with my walls and Foreverjadon's pool. Now the user can safely use your hack following your easy instructions.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Field Researcher
#16 Old 23rd Jul 2005 at 10:06 AM
Thank you this is a great.
Test Subject
#17 Old 23rd Jul 2005 at 11:07 AM
... I can't tell which decks/foundations are the new ones?
Mad Poster
#18 Old 23rd Jul 2005 at 11:16 AM
TY 4 + a Fn on foundations...

Merci...
Test Subject
#19 Old 23rd Jul 2005 at 11:16 AM
Okay man... the instructions... I've been trying a whole lot of things based on my different interpretations.

Would you mind showing screenshots of what you're doing in build mode so I can mimic that properly? I must be doing it wrong, because I've already turned red with rage over it...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#20 Old 23rd Jul 2005 at 9:29 PM
Haha, man i don't know how to make the instructions easier no offense....first put down the original foundation...relcolor it with a wallpaper that has a top and bottom border to it.....lower the ground around just one part of the foundation till you can see exactly just ONE wall tile.....level it off so that you don't get the top and bottom off the wall tile visible at the bottom..just the top. Then replace the original foundation with the new hacked latticed deck foundaiton in the shape you want it to be in. Then totally surround that deck foundation with the new hacked foundation. Then delete the hacked foundation. The hacked deck will have turned into a hacked regular foundation, that doors can be put in.

Enjoy. I can't think of another way to do it.
Test Subject
#21 Old 25th Jul 2005 at 8:40 AM Last edited by eddyg86 : 25th Jul 2005 at 8:46 AM.
Default arg ugly help
i want a basement.. not a room in a hole.. how does one get rid of that one-square slope surrounding the 'basement' room? if you make a basement the old way.. it had the extra wall bit around which hid that 1 square slope.. but you couldn't attach anything to the walls.. that was the issue.. now we only have one wall.. cool.. but we have that slope visible..

what do i do to remove that?
Screenshots
Test Subject
#22 Old 25th Jul 2005 at 9:23 AM
Thanks for sharing this hack rocks!!!
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 26th Jul 2005 at 12:21 AM
something must be wrong because it crashes my game every time
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 6th Aug 2005 at 7:23 AM
i LOVE this download. This makes the lots look alot more realistic. I even got fancy and made a house that was half out of the ground. Will try to post a pic here. It takes a little tweaking to get it just right, and i dont even know if i was following your directions, but it works for me. Thanks again!!
Test Subject
#25 Old 7th Aug 2005 at 2:34 PM
does this hack just let you build a wall in a hole? if thats the case, why not just use foundations for basements to begin with, that way you can even out the ground above to the outside of the foundation and you won't get the hole in the ground look when viewed from outside.
Page 1 of 3