Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mesh Maestro
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Aug 2005 at 5:14 AM Last edited by leefish : 17th Jan 2014 at 5:39 PM.
Creating an Animation Cell Re-Color

Creating an Animation Cell Re-Color

DISCLAIMER: This is NOT a tutorial; it is intended to help average-experienced object creators performing specific tasks, or to give users a deeper in-sight on specific modding-related subjects. So, don't expect to find step-by-step explanations, to be performed "blindly". Please DO NOT REPOST the following info, or part of them, on other sites.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SUMMARY: This guide will teach you how to obtain a form of texture animation. It is done much the way that old cartoons were done, by cells. There are many different combinations of settings and sizes we can use but for this guide we will stick with a 512x512 cell texture. You will also learn to adjust the speed of the animation in the Material Definition file.
This InfoCenter article is also provided in PDF format. To view it, we strongly suggest to download the Foxisoft PFD Viewer: it's free and small, less than 1Mb!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HINT: For the cell animation you will create with this guide you will need an animation with 16 images that you have pre-made.
HINT: Always use the latest version of SimPE

Step 1: I would hope you have created your animation or have obtained a GIF animation and
it is 128x128 in size. If you have a pre-made animation you must reduce it to 16 images.

Step 2: Extract each layer (images) into an empty folder.

Step 3: In your paint program create a new canvas 512x512.

Step 4: Import the first of the 16 frames of your animation into your paint program.

Step 5: Drag the first frame into the new 512X512 canvas and place it in the top left corner.

Step 6: Continue to add each frame sequentially (in order) from left to right. When you are done with the first rows (top)
continue to the second/third and finally the fourth and final row. When finished, your cell image should look like the one below.

Step 7: *Export your image as a PNG image and close your paint program.

Step 8: Create a new re-color of the Illusions animated painting found here
Step 9: Create and import a new frame color as usual.

Step 10: Animation cell : Click the import, update all sizes and, commit buttons as usual.
HINT: If you want transparency then select DXT3 format.

Step 11: If you want to change the speed of your animation then you can do so in the "painting" Material Definition file (see image below).

Step 12: Save your recolor and go check it in game.
HINT: Entering "tile" into the "stdMatTextureCoordAnimMode" field to activate the cell animation.
HINT: The "stdMatTextureCoordAnimNumTiles" field represents "Images placed horizontal","images placed verticle".
HINT: You can create any size cell texture you want as long as it is divisible by 2. You can also make each frame any size divisible by 2. Be sure to enter the proper coordinates in the ""stdMatTextureCoordAnimNumTiles" field.
HINT:Adjusting the "stdMatAlphaBlendMode" by entering "none", "blend" or, "additive" will give you different effects.

OTHER USEFUL RESOURCES

Modding InfoCenter Index - Comprehensive list of all the InfoCenter threads
Object Creation Workshop and Repair Center - If your object doesn't work, no matter what you try
Colour Options for "EP-ready" packages - About the texture linking tecniques
Sims 2 start to finish Object Creation Tutorial - Learn how to create your own object

Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  CellAnimation_Recolor_Guide.rar (1.22 MB, 701 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
Mesh Maestro
Original Poster
#2 Old 8th Aug 2005 at 5:15 AM
reserved

Reading is the key to all knowledge, math is the key to everything.
Inventor
#3 Old 10th Aug 2005 at 12:00 AM
But what if you want it to be a candle or such as opposed to a painting?
Mesh Maestro
Original Poster
#4 Old 10th Aug 2005 at 12:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mod_bv
But what if you want it to be a candle or such as opposed to a painting?

Then you would use one texture for flame and the other for the rest, just like the anytime candles...

Reading is the key to all knowledge, math is the key to everything.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 11th Aug 2005 at 8:27 AM
Thanks for this info! Tried it, works perfectly! :D
Field Researcher
#6 Old 14th Aug 2005 at 7:59 PM
Quick question on recoloring your animation painting and table top deco. Is it okay to recolor just one of the subsets? There may be times that I want just a new frame, or, animation without a new frame.

I checked the recolors you did for these objects and they all contained both subsets, hence my question.

I want to do this right!

Thanks!
Mesh Maestro
Original Poster
#7 Old 14th Aug 2005 at 11:45 PM
Dolldrms1: That is a very intelligent question... I highly recommend recoloring both subsets. If not you will end up with a great many duplicate recolors of the base or animation depending on which you omit. If your recoloring for personal use only then of course you can omit one or the other..
Field Researcher
#8 Old 15th Aug 2005 at 4:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by JWoods
Dolldrms1: That is a very intelligent question... I highly recommend recoloring both subsets. If not you will end up with a great many duplicate recolors of the base or animation depending on which you omit. If your recoloring for personal use only then of course you can omit one or the other..

This afternoon I did an animation for the painting, without doing a frame, and there is no duplicate frame in my game. That is because when SimPE brought up the subsets after naming the recolor package, I unchecked the frame and the autoselect box. This put only the texture for the animation in my recolor package. There is no frame texture image at all. This recolor is working in my game just fine.

In game, I now have one more animation cells than frames, no dup of any of the original frames. I'm trying to ask if it is okay to have a recolor of your animation paintings with only one texture image, or perhaps more technically correct, to say only a texture image for the part being recolored. I'm asking for clarification because I was considering uploading frames using the woods for my Grand Trianon recolors. I want to be sure that I would be uploading stable packages, if they contain only one texture, that of the frame.

Until Grand Triananon and the now becoming more prevalent repository/slave objects, I was under the impression that doing two files for a recolor of an object with two texture images was the more correct way to go about it. By doing recolors separately for the textures, if a downloader decided down the road they didn't care for one part or the other, it could safely be deleted in game and not leave a portion behind that could no longer be deleted.

I know I experienced that problem with a recolor of a kitchen cabinet and counter. The portion left behind was flashing blue, too. Fortunately, I keep fairly good records of dl'd objects and pinpointed whose creation it was. By redownloading the object and then deleting it directly from the downloads folder, I was able to then remove both parts from the game.

Hope I'm being clear. As often happens, I know what I need to ask in my head but seem to stumble putting it into words adequately. Thanks for your patience!!!
Mesh Maestro
Original Poster
#9 Old 15th Aug 2005 at 6:11 AM
Ok with my painting and table top decor it is ok to uncheck a subset. In a set that has a repository I don't think it is wise. Cabinets work with the repository theory and that is why you experienced the "blue flashing".

Now when you say "I was considering uploading frames using the woods for my Grand Trianon recolors", do you mean you want to use those textures on the decor frames?
Field Researcher
#10 Old 15th Aug 2005 at 7:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by JWoods
Ok with my painting and table top decor it is ok to uncheck a subset. In a set that has a repository I don't think it is wise. Cabinets work with the repository theory and that is why you experienced the "blue flashing".

Now when you say "I was considering uploading frames using the woods for my Grand Trianon recolors", do you mean you want to use those textures on the decor frames?

Yes, I am considering using those wood textures on the frames. Haven't tried it as yet to be sure they look okay to me. If I don't like the way something turns out, I certainly wouldn't inflict it on someone else, LOL. I did use those same woods on Little_Tx_Mama's corner tables and cabinets so those tables could be used in the same room as, and match, other Grand Trianon pieces. Have to make do until you all publish other rooms, .

Actually, the problem I mentioned was encountered when I tried to delete a cabinet that had been downloaded as a single file, counter top included in same package. On Maxis cabinets anyway, if I've downloaded two separate files, one for counter and one for cabinet, I could delete either one in game without a problem. The remaining texture was still useable and could still be deleted in game. There also wasn't any flashing blue.

Because of the number of recolors available for Maxis kitchen sets, I confess that I've never bothered to recolor them myself. I've simply enjoyed the work of others where kitchens are concerned.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#11 Old 16th Aug 2005 at 8:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by dolldrms1
Until Grand Triananon and the now becoming more prevalent repository/slave objects, I was under the impression that doing two files for a recolor of an object with two texture images was the more correct way to go about it. By doing recolors separately for the textures, if a downloader decided down the road they didn't care for one part or the other, it could safely be deleted in game and not leave a portion behind that could no longer be deleted.

I'd just add a note to JWoods clear answer, to point out an important difference between the Grand Trianon and the standard Repository tecnique.

The Grand Trianon uses an advanced repository tecnique, in which the different subsets (frame, fabric, metal and glass) are bound together: for instance, for each "frame" texture there *must* be a related texture (in the same recolour package) for the "metal", the "glass" and the "fabric". Otherwise, you'll have flashing blu object parts.

The standard Repository technique (used, for instance, in JWoods' animated paintings) doesn't involve necessarily that "texture binding": thus allowing the artist to recolour only one subset at a time.

Unfortunately, you can't know, while creating a recolour package, if the advanced "Repository with texture binding" technique was used: you have to read the object's original thread in order to know it.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Field Researcher
#12 Old 17th Aug 2005 at 5:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
I'd just add a note to JWoods clear answer, to point out an important difference between the Grand Trianon and the standard Repository tecnique.

The Grand Trianon uses an advanced repository tecnique, in which the different subsets (frame, fabric, metal and glass) are bound together: for instance, for each "frame" texture there *must* be a related texture (in the same recolour package) for the "metal", the "glass" and the "fabric". Otherwise, you'll have flashing blu object parts.

The standard Repository technique (used, for instance, in JWoods' animated paintings) doesn't involve necessarily that "texture binding": thus allowing the artist to recolour only one subset at a time.

Unfortunately, you can't know, while creating a recolour package, if the advanced "Repository with texture binding" technique was used: you have to read the object's original thread in order to know it.

Thank you for posting this, Numenor. Not doing meshes myself, I didn't know there was a standard and advanced repository technique. I learn so much in these information threads!

I hope those who create objects using a repository do remember to make clear whether or not "texture binding" is involved. I know I'm seeing the "uses repository" terminology on more than just MTS2 now but I don't recall seeing clarification of texture binding, just the wording "recolor one whatever and the whole set is done". I can see that recoloring responsibly is now a tad bit trickier.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#13 Old 17th Aug 2005 at 7:22 AM
Just to make it clear, for skilled creators:
the "advanced" Repository tecnique I was talking about it's just a combination of the Repository tecnique (obtained using a tsMaterialsMeshName block in the GMND) and the "texture binding" (via a tsDesignModeSlaveSubsets block).

I second dolldrms1's suggestion; but since the "texture binding" is quite rare, I suggest the creators that use the tsDesignModeSlaveSubsets to warn users about the need to recolour more than one subset at once.
If no slave subsets are involved, a warning should be avoided.

Basically, this is the current situation

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Mad Poster
#14 Old 15th Feb 2006 at 10:11 AM Last edited by niol : 15th Feb 2006 at 10:16 AM.
Just wonder what "stdMatTextureCoordTfAnimOrigin", "steamLayer1Rotation", "steamLayer2RotationX" and "steamLayer2RotationY" do...
How to know if they're set properly?

Thanks for making this tutorial, it's very understandable even for recolour-noobs like me...
The ModFather
retired moderator
#15 Old 15th Feb 2006 at 5:53 PM
I'm not sure of the meaning of those parameter, either... lol! Better leave them as they are, unless you want to experiment a little! (In this case, please let me know the results of your tests)

Lab Assistant
#16 Old 3rd May 2006 at 3:36 AM
Just to make it clear, for skilled creators:
the "advanced" Repository tecnique I was talking about it's just a combination of the Repository tecnique (obtained using a tsMaterialsMeshName block in the GMND) and the "texture binding" (via a tsDesignModeSlaveSubsets block).

I second dolldrms1's suggestion; but since the "texture binding" is quite rare, I suggest the creators that use the tsDesignModeSlaveSubsets to warn users about the need to recolour more than one subset at once.
If no slave subsets are involved, a warning should be avoided.

Basically, this is the current situation

So am I to understand that it is possible to determine which technique is used by examining the origonal package file?

"Stirred sheep and whirreled peas don't mix. In order to mix these two things you would have to puree the sheep." -JoJo
The ModFather
retired moderator
#17 Old 3rd May 2006 at 3:15 PM
Yes, examining the original GMND you can always determine if there is a "texture binding" within the object, or if the textures are taken from an external Repository (or a combination of the two).

Only, sometimes is difficult to identify the Repository, if it is a custom object and the creator didn't give any instructions about it (which would be crazy anyway ).

Instructor
#18 Old 22nd Aug 2006 at 1:19 PM
Thanks I did it
Thanks for the great tutorial

Unauthorized incoming post!
Test Subject
#19 Old 18th Dec 2006 at 8:30 PM
Eek! How do I slow down the animation in my recolor??? It is going too fast!

(()) Pass this ribbon if you know someone who has
//\\ survived, is living with, or has died from cancer.
Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma survivor since 2004
The ModFather
retired moderator
#20 Old 18th Dec 2006 at 9:08 PM
In step 11, put a lower value, than the "15" shown in picture.

Lab Assistant
#21 Old 5th Jan 2007 at 5:40 PM
Thanks for posting this. Can you use this technique with other objects, and, if so, how?

[COLOR=DarkRed][I]I think that the only real way to be hypocrisy free is to stand up for nothing…and I’d rather deal with sometimes being a hypocrite than wake up one day, prostrate in my own apathy.
. *Me*
The ModFather
retired moderator
#22 Old 5th Jan 2007 at 8:41 PM
Any texture can be animated. The only requirements are a TXMT with the animation enabled (use the parameters shown in step 11 as a starting point, and read the hints in step 12), and a textures divided in frames.

Mad Poster
#23 Old 6th Jan 2007 at 6:42 AM
Please help give any suggestion for this wiki page.
http://www.sims2wiki.info/TXMT/Para...xturalAnimation

I'm gonna add in the those parameter pages.

KevinsHope,
This techniqueis about tile-animation which is a type of textural animations. The above linked thread will tell you with what else you can do. Also, the tile-animation can work alone without the transform-animation parameters.

The tile-animation parameters can also affect how the base texture mapped against the mapped region(s), and this's more useful for floor-tile modding and plain surface recolouring of objects.
Scholar
#24 Old 23rd Jan 2007 at 12:41 AM
Any texture can be animated. The only requirements are a TXMT with the animation enabled (use the parameters shown in step 11 as a starting point, and read the hints in step 12), and a textures divided in frames.

Does that mean it's possible to make animated walls ? I've tried to apply the cell recolor technique to a wall, with no success so far...

Understand Material definition-TXMT and customize the look of your objects ! This way

"The longer something exists in this world, the more wear and tear it will have."
The ModFather
retired moderator
#25 Old 23rd Jan 2007 at 1:22 AM
Sorry, my statement was meant to refer to TXMTs of type "Standard Material" (i.e. normal objects). TXMT of different types ("Skin", "Wall", etc.) may have some parameters disabled.

Page 1 of 2