Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Sep 2005 at 10:34 PM
Default 3D Studio max and Wavefront obj files
Hi all!

First of all: I am new here *looks around*

Anyway, I've used Milkshape 3D to create a simple object for The Sims 2. But I really prefer 3D Studio Max for mesh creation. However: the wavefront obj support of 3D Studio Max (MAX2OBJ) doesn't seem to work right for TS2 objects.

I tried to create an object with 3D Studio Max, import it into Milkshape 3D and then export it again. But when I have the mesh imported into Milkshape I can see one major problem: the normals doesn't seem to be right. When I first export the mesh to a 3ds file, then import it in milkshape and then export it into an obj file there doesn't seem to be any normals at all! (just a black block)

So my question: if you use 3D Studio Max for object creation, how do you export them? Are there any tips, tricks or tutorials about creating TS2 Objects with 3D Studio Max?

Thanks,
AuC
Advertisement
Texturing God
#2 Old 13th Sep 2005 at 10:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AuC
Hi all!

First of all: I am new here *looks around*

Anyway, I've used Milkshape 3D to create a simple object for The Sims 2. But I really prefer 3D Studio Max for mesh creation. However: the wavefront obj support of 3D Studio Max (MAX2OBJ) doesn't seem to work right for TS2 objects.

I tried to create an object with 3D Studio Max, import it into Milkshape 3D and then export it again. But when I have the mesh imported into Milkshape I can see one major problem: the normals doesn't seem to be right. When I first export the mesh to a 3ds file, then import it in milkshape and then export it into an obj file there doesn't seem to be any normals at all! (just a black block)

So my question: if you use 3D Studio Max for object creation, how do you export them? Are there any tips, tricks or tutorials about creating TS2 Objects with 3D Studio Max?

Thanks,
AuC

This is a very common problem when you import 3DS files into milkshape.

All you have to do is import the 3ds file and then select all the faces of your object, then click on the face menu, in the top menu then "smooth all faces".
That's it.

If you want to get my creations please visit my site. ExnemSims .
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Sep 2005 at 10:40 PM
Aaah, ofcourse... Thank you ^.^
Texturing God
#4 Old 13th Sep 2005 at 10:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AuC
Aaah, ofcourse... Thank you ^.^

NP. I don't know why normals are not imported with 3ds files, but using smooth all re-creates them...

If you want to get my creations please visit my site. ExnemSims .
Original Poster
#5 Old 14th Sep 2005 at 12:09 PM
It's strange indeed... But it works this way ^.^ Good enough by me...
Scholar
#6 Old 17th Sep 2005 at 1:53 AM
don't need milkshape check out this tutorial it uses only 3d max! http://www.pandorasims.net/tutorials2.html
Test Subject
#7 Old 18th Sep 2005 at 12:15 PM
Hi,
I also have a question relating to 3d max, I have a lot of "Scene" files..... how can I convert them into simple 3ds files ?
Many many thanks if you can help
Scholar
#8 Old 30th Sep 2005 at 2:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by xuan
Hi,
I also have a question relating to 3d max, I have a lot of "Scene" files..... how can I convert them into simple 3ds files ?
Many many thanks if you can help

open them in max than choose export from file men, 3ds file.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 2nd Oct 2005 at 3:44 AM
As I post it to Quaxi I think 3ds exporter will be soon available in SimPe.
But if you want to test it, it will be very helpfull to know if it works correctly with everyone. (I test it with at least 50 objetcs without problems).

I also create a 3ds 2 Obj converter, it'll be the base of a futur 3ds importer so you can test it to prevent futur bug in the SimPE version.

If you get problem don't hesitate to send me a mail with your file (mail address in zip file).

Skankyboy
Attached files:
File Type: zip  3ds-Exporter.zip (139.9 KB, 138 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: zip  3ds-2-Obj-Converter.zip (16.0 KB, 177 downloads) - View custom content
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 2nd Oct 2005 at 11:59 AM
@skankyboy
Thank you so much for this plugin. I have only one question. How works the converter with n-gons on the uv-map?

Minisite

TSR Workshop
A Custom Content Tool for The Sims 3
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 2nd Oct 2005 at 6:03 PM
@Teko,
I think the converter works with any type of mapping and any type of smoothing group. Just test with your object I think it'll works. I fyou got problem just mail me with your object as attached file.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 3rd Oct 2005 at 12:21 AM
I tested out and your converter works absolutely fine! But Cinema 4D's 3ds exporter can't (!) export correctly uvmaps, that I've created in Bodypaint. Click here to see what it looks like.
No exporter of Cinema works correctly, not obj, not 3ds. I'm really annoyed about that.

Only one (long) way works correctly. Export 3ds without uv-map, save the 3ds file with your great converter as an obj, import back to Cinema, do the mapping and export it over the Riptide plugin of Cinema.

I don't agree this way of working so I will write as soon as I can an email to Cinema 4D's support and hope they can help me.

Again, thanks for the great converter. Today it was the day I've got firstly the same vertices amount that I also have in Cinema.

Minisite

TSR Workshop
A Custom Content Tool for The Sims 3
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 2nd Dec 2005 at 8:30 AM
Default Thank YOU!
I am so happy to see the .3ds support in SimPE .50!
I wish there was an easier way, but this support alone elimiates countless steps for me, and generally makes my life SO much easier.

Pax,
Indigo
Scholar
#14 Old 2nd Dec 2005 at 10:11 AM
i tried to export the mesh in SimPE as a 3ds and it ****ed up when i opened it in max.