Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Colored Ceiling Bulbs With Colored Light - NL, OfB, Pets

by jgwhiteus Posted 24th Sep 2005 at 7:17 AM - Updated 20th Oct 2008 at 1:26 PM by -Maylin-

46 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 43 Feedback Posts, 2 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 2
Field Researcher
#2 Old 24th Sep 2005 at 7:39 AM
Sounds great! I've had the originals for awhile and love them! But I'm curious: Does one need to remove these first (as they're a different filename)? I was assuming so, but not 100% sure.

Like a flea circus at a dog show!
Field Researcher
#3 Old 24th Sep 2005 at 7:49 AM
YAY!! Thanks once again jgwhiteus!! I missed these!

Do you belive frogs can bite? If not, then you should, because they do! LOL!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 24th Sep 2005 at 7:52 AM
Hi Madness,

Do you mean remove the old version first? If so, yes - if only because they really aren't compatible with Nightlife (they were very unstable, which is why I've released this new version). However, they have different GUIDs and everything, so it's not really a big deal if you have the old version and the new version in your downloads folder at the same time.

J.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 24th Sep 2005 at 9:17 AM
Hi, sorry to say I had a problem with the lights. I followed your instructions, placed the files in the correct folders, backed up my lighting file, loaded the game and the neighbourhood was flashing red. I exited the game, removed all the files, renamed the backup lighting file, reloaded the game and the neighbourhood was back to normal.

+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++
My sims 2 Yahoo Group
2 Fantastic
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 24th Sep 2005 at 9:34 AM
Hmm, that's strange, I didn't make any changes to neighborhood settings. If you're in the UK, maybe the installation is slightly different?

Could you try changing the Lighting.txt file manually? Put the JGColorLightNL.nlo file in the Nightlife\TSData\Res\Lights folder (there should be lots of other .nlo files in the same folder, such as "djbooth.nlo," "firejet.nlo" etc.).
Open the Lighting.txt file that's also in that folder, and it should say something like, "Lighting override (.nlo) files for specific EP1 objects should be placed in this directory. The following command triggers the game to parse all such files."

Then it'll have a series of lines with the command "sinclude."

sinclude "JGColorLightNL.nlo" should go under the last one, which in my game is doors.nlo.

I know that's pretty complicated, but hopefully it'll solve the problem. Otherwise I don't understand how the files are affecting the neighborhood settings. Is anyone else having this problem as well?

J.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 24th Sep 2005 at 3:10 PM
Hi jgwhiteus,

With moveobjects cheat on, those combined "lights" can form already even for the non-EP2 version.

Back to my major points, I've no EP2 yet, and I want to install these EP2 version of these lights into my TS2 system without any EP to hopefully make some EP2-version lots. Suppose that they're showing up, placeable and savable, will the lights be working in an EP2 system with EP2 version of these lights installed?

thanks for your suggestions in advance...

: )

Nice hard work... TYs
Test Subject
#8 Old 24th Sep 2005 at 5:05 PM Last edited by tpetrelius : 24th Sep 2005 at 7:30 PM.
For me the lights cause very strange problem. When you go to the lot, it's much darker than it should be. And if you change the lightning to night mode it changes completely black, back to day mode there is no change. I have even deleted the line from .txt and all the other files. But it doesn't help.......
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 24th Sep 2005 at 6:39 PM
If both tpetrelius and hippi are having problems, it might be that the "Lighting.txt" file is generated by each individual installation and its settings are matched to the user's computer/graphics card? If that were the case, then you wouldn't be able to use one person's "Lighting.txt" on another person's computer, because the settings would be different.

Okay, I will repackage the file to take out the "Lighting.txt" and change the instructions - from now on, instead of pasting the "Lighting.txt" file included in the package, people should just manually insert the one line of code in their own "Lighting.txt" file to avoid overwriting any other settings, plus be sure to back up their original in case it has unique lighting values.

I'm so sorry for the confusion and if this has caused trouble for anyone. tpetrelius, if my theory is correct regarding "Lighting.txt," then that means that your original file would be unique and you would have to regenerate it somehow, possibly by re-installing - hopefully there is a better way.

Hi niol,

I don't believe these lights will work without Nightlife installed, because they specifically make use of Nightlife's method of changing light settings - the ".nlo" files (Nightlife-Override). You could try making lots with the Original & EP1 version of these (linked above), but then those lights wouldn't work once you installed Nightlife - sorry, no ideal solution either way.
Forum Resident
#10 Old 24th Sep 2005 at 7:15 PM
uni had nlo files, too.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 24th Sep 2005 at 7:26 PM Last edited by jgwhiteus : 24th Sep 2005 at 7:36 PM.
Huh, you're right (.nlo actually stands for "Lighting Override" and not "Nightlife Override") I think it might be possible to use these in University if you copied the .nlo file to University's TSData\Res\Lights directory and modified the "Lighting.txt" there (the command there is "wildinclude" instead of "sinclude") - although if you just want to use these lights for University, it's probably easier to download the Orig & EP1 version in the other thread, since that doesn't require any modification of game files.

I still don't know, if you installed these with the .nlo method in University, whether the objects would still work when you installed Nightlife - maybe Nightlife looks to the "Lighting.txt" in its own directory rather than the University directory? I don't know how I'd test that out.

EDIT: Perhaps one solution, niol, is to install the ".nlo" file in the University directory (Sims 2 University\TSData\Res\Lights) and modify the "Lighting.txt" in that directory with the command "wildinclude", and when you finally install Nightlife you could just move the .nlo file to the Nightlife directory and change the "Lighting.txt" file in the Nightlife directory as well?
Mad Poster
#12 Old 24th Sep 2005 at 7:51 PM
Hi jgwhiteus,

Actually, I didn't mean to have the lights on in that system without any EP.

I'm a lot-maker and share lots.

I meant to add the EP2 versions of these lights in a lot under that system without any EP.

And I wonder if that lot and these EP2 lights will work under a system with at least EP2 installed. Of course, downloaders are supposed to come to this page to get the files and mods before running the lot.

Sorry for my confusing statements... I know things are running kinda crazy, and so am I.

tpetrelius & hippi,

What're your game specifications? (with or without EP1)
Also, hardware specifications? (video card type, CPU speed, etc)
Test Subject
#13 Old 24th Sep 2005 at 8:04 PM
I removed the files and replaced lightning.txt to original, and the problem continues. I didn't have any problems before trying these. I quess that next step is re-install.....
Mad Poster
#14 Old 24th Sep 2005 at 8:16 PM
tpetrelius,

Have you tried to remove all custom contents as a last testing resort?
Coz sometimes, some unknwon conflicts between custom contents can be the cases.
Test Subject
#15 Old 24th Sep 2005 at 8:45 PM
I removed only those downloads that i wasn't sure about. Haven't re-installed whole game yet, but installed only lightning.txt (sims2, uni, nl). And now my neighborhood is blinking red and lots (while playing) are completely black.
#16 Old 25th Sep 2005 at 6:44 AM
OMG! I love it! Thanks for getting the lights to work so quickly! Now I don't have to delay my movie!
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 25th Sep 2005 at 2:28 PM
Sorry I didn't get back to you straight away, I'll load up my test game to check out the new settings. May not get back until later, my mum-in-law is visiting so I have to clean up

My sims 2 Yahoo Group
2 Fantastic
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 25th Sep 2005 at 2:59 PM Last edited by hippi : 25th Sep 2005 at 3:24 PM.
Ok I've just tested the lights again, using your first method of installing them. They worked perfectly. I tested them the first time on a custom neighbourhood with other custom content installed, this time I tested them on my test account which I keep just for testing new objects I make. Seems strange that they worked perfectly this time and not before, I have a sneaking suspicion I didn't put the files in the correct place, if that's the case than I apologise profusely and give you permission to batter me with a wet fish. It seemed odd that they didn't work when you obviously had them working in your own game. I'll see if I can replicate the problem I had.

Edit: Ok you can officially slap me with a wet fish :Slap: I had placed the files in the default sims folder instead of the nightlife folder. I replicated the problem and when the files are placed in the default sims folder the neighbourhood flashes red. :sorry: I'm sorry for being a pain, but at least if anyone else has this problem you'll know what it is. The lights worked perfectly and I had no problems day or night with brightness/darkness.

Thanks for all your hard work, I appreciate the time you've spent working on this.

My sims 2 Yahoo Group
2 Fantastic
Mad Poster
#19 Old 25th Sep 2005 at 3:57 PM
Thanks Hippi,

now, the confusion starts to clear up... So, there're similar folders for similar settings.

I'll try to make the EP2 versions of some of my lots... to see if they work in other EP2 systems.

: )
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#20 Old 25th Sep 2005 at 4:34 PM Last edited by jgwhiteus : 25th Sep 2005 at 4:41 PM.
Hi hippi,

That's great to hear - thank you for taking the time to test it out and figure out the problem. I'll put a special reminder that the "Lighting.txt" file should be placed in the Nightlife folder and not the default Sims folder.

Hi niol,

Sorry I didn't respond earllier to your question about lot sharing. I think it should be fine to include these objects in shareable lots - the game doesn't crash if the user hasn't yet installed the "JGColorLight.nlo" file and "Lighting.txt"; the only consequence should be that the objects won't give off colored light. You can then include instructions about installing the files if the users want to see the colored light effects.

tpetrelius,

hippi's post suggests that the "Lighting.txt" files may not be individual to each person's game. If that's the case, then maybe you don't need to re-install everything to get your game working again. I've attached the three original "Lighting.txt" files that appear in the game - one for the default Sims 2 folder, one for University, and one for Nightlife (I've changed the names to identify them; you should change them back to "Lighting.txt" once they're in the appropriate folder). Each one is different, so be careful to place each one in the correct folder - hopefully that will get your game working again (of course, be sure to back up the Lighting.txt files you have now). Thanks,

J.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Original Lighting Files.rar (6.7 KB, 42 downloads)
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 25th Sep 2005 at 8:13 PM
It's was no trouble at all, I feel such a twit for causing you problems, thankyou again

My sims 2 Yahoo Group
2 Fantastic
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 25th Sep 2005 at 8:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by hippi
It's was no trouble at all, I feel such a twit for causing you problems, thankyou again

i put my files in the nightlife folder and i have a red flashin neigborhoood with black lots too
help
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#23 Old 26th Sep 2005 at 4:30 AM Last edited by jgwhiteus : 26th Sep 2005 at 7:40 AM.
Hi stickylungs,

Which installation method did you use? Did you type in the line of code manually in "Lighting.txt" or did you copy and paste the "Lighting.txt" that was included in the old version?

Did you back up the old version of your "Lighting.txt" and try putting it back in the folder?

And just to make sure it's the right folder, were there other .nlo files in the Lights folder you installed the files into, such as "doors.nlo," "djbooth.nlo" and "nightlife.nlo"?

Sorry for all the questions; I just wanted to make sure I had all the info. first.

EDIT: By the way, in further testing this object I discovered that the spotlights work without needing to change "Lighting.txt" or use the .nlo file. So I've created a separate thread for the spotlights and I've also modifed the .nlo file I included in the package - I've shortened it and taken out the spotlight references. Feel free to download this new version (though it's not really a major change).
Mad Poster
#24 Old 26th Sep 2005 at 8:34 AM Last edited by niol : 26th Sep 2005 at 9:10 AM.
Hi jgwhiteus,

Thanks for letting me to include them in the lot I'm gonna share and those I'm sharing..., and surely, I'll link your threads to the lot threads.

Just a suggestion, it may be easier to distinguish different versions of the lights when date or simple numeric values are used along with the file names. Coz there've been a few versions had been released...
Field Researcher
#25 Old 26th Sep 2005 at 6:08 PM
ah..that explains why the lights from befor (the blue and green ones that is) work ok in my game, but the red bulbs make funny shades all over the place....all the furniture and stuff glows solid colors when i add the red bulbs from befor....

(i have the old befor nl ones, and nl installed.....)
i htink i will stick to the spotlights ^^

thanks for those, by the way ^^ now i can make my temple of Mishakal for sims2 ^^ cause i havent got a blue lady statue, but indoors with the blue spotlights, i can ^^
Page 1 of 2