Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Warlokk's Female BodyShape Variety Project - Clothes-Bottoms

by Warlokk Posted 25th Sep 2005 at 7:41 PM - Updated 25th Sep 2005 at 8:06 PM by Warlokk

55 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 54 Feedback Posts
Page 1 of 3
Test Subject
#2 Old 25th Sep 2005 at 7:45 PM
Hello!
Wow I just got done downloading that set. Might I say that that is some amazing work.
And thank you very much for these :D
Test Subject
#3 Old 25th Sep 2005 at 8:32 PM
Please keep these coming , they are some of the best I've seen on here.
Instructor
#4 Old 25th Sep 2005 at 8:43 PM
Thanks for this download... is it possible to simply randomly combine them as a mesh file? I love the idea but its a bit complicated using the top & bottom... *just askin*
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 25th Sep 2005 at 8:47 PM
AERhodesJr -- The original project post has a full-body nude mesh set and underwear to match, in every possible combination of tops and bottoms. That might be what you're looking for, I'm not sure. Since there is no way to actually combine top and bottom meshes, I had to modify the original full-body mesh to match my sizes, which took a LONG time, so it'll be a while before I play with anymore full-body outfits. Tops and bottoms separate are much easier, for now. Of course, the skintone packages in the full project have all possible combinations as well... they're the real meat of the project.
Instructor
#6 Old 25th Sep 2005 at 9:18 PM
Warlokk, once more an excellent job - and that was fast!

I'm not only congratulating you for the technical part here: like many people I think that your meshes look really natural - which isn't often the case when it comes to female meshes.

Just one thing : there is a way to combine top and bottom meshes, it's just a total nightmare...

Marvine and Beosboxboy at InSIMenator.net and Gay Sims Club 2
Test Subject
#7 Old 25th Sep 2005 at 9:43 PM
First, thank you very much for these wonderful downloads. I want to convert some of the other regular sims2 tops for use with these meshes, but I have no clue where to start. Can you or anyone else reading please point me to some tutorials on the subject(s) I need to master, or give me some detailed instructions on how I could do this? For example, you've already made one top that came from maxis originally, so what were the steps involved in recreating that work for other tops?

Any help will be appreciated, and I'd be more than happy to share whatever I make with the rest of the class. (but warnings ahead of time I only intend on working with B-D sizes)
Field Researcher
#8 Old 25th Sep 2005 at 10:25 PM
Totaly sexy, feminine....
:cdance:

Thanks so much for sharing these meshes...and as it say Marvine:..."Excellent job..." :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thank, thank... you :gidea:
Instructor
Original Poster
#9 Old 25th Sep 2005 at 11:00 PM
Marvine-- I think I'll pass on the nightmare... last time I looked into it my brain started smoking... so if I do more full-body meshes, I'll just do them by hand.

Postal Blowfish-- I plan to make some more outfit tops to fit the BodyShapes, especially a T-shirt and tank top. Basically I export the clothing item, export the mesh as a .obj, then modify it in Milkshape to fit my models. Then I just tie the outfits to the new mesh as described in the tutorials (which I know take a bit to get the brain around). The outfits are easy compared to the skintone stuff, those were a lot of work. Outfits are one mesh, one reference each, so it's not too bad.
Test Subject
#10 Old 25th Sep 2005 at 11:27 PM Last edited by Postal Blowfish : 25th Sep 2005 at 11:32 PM.
So I would have to replicate your work with the mesh for each part of the clothing, and if I do a bad job then i would screw up the bodyshape. Is that right?

edit: I tried it like using your instructions for skin tones and now I understand why you need to edit the mesh. I'll have to look into how that is done and see if I can make something that looks right. For a dress shirt, the bustier mesh you uploaded sure looks wrong
Instructor
Original Poster
#11 Old 25th Sep 2005 at 11:38 PM Last edited by Warlokk : 25th Sep 2005 at 11:47 PM.
No, it wouldn't affect the original bodyshape at all... you have to create your own MESH file, then tie your outfit to it to give it the new shape. As long as you don't modify my original MESH_blahblah.package files, you won't hurt anything. But otherwise, yes you'd have to modify each mesh to fit each body part/size you want it to fit. That's why I started with bottoms, only 2 variations... tops have 8, full-body have 26

Haha, I can imagine... the original top is not exactly "dressy"... it's on my to-do list, but if you come up with something good, it'll save me a lot of work :D

Here's a trick I did when I was making these bottoms to fit my mesh sizes... in Milkshape, you can import more than one .obj as long as the "group" names are different... in other words, if you load two bottoms, it's hosed, but if you load a bottom and a body, they can both display at once, and you can turn them off. So, what I do is, I import the original Maxis .obj I extracted from their files. Then, I import one of my full-body .obj's which you can extract from my nudebody meshes for the underwear. Then you stretch and tweak the new mesh until it fits properly over the full-body mesh. You can hide and unhide the full body to see what you're doing. Just make sure you delete the Body group before you export your new .obj, or it'll blow up on you. :D
Test Subject
#12 Old 25th Sep 2005 at 11:41 PM
I wasnt trying to say I would screw up your original meshes, I did understand they would be my own meshes, but my concern would be screwing up the shape of my mesh so that when I put on my piece it changed the body shape while worn. I'm reading some tuts about meshes and such now and hopefully i can understand that.

Given that this type of modding is exactly the kind of break from the actual game I needed, maybe I can help you out some once I get everything sorted.
Inventor
#13 Old 25th Sep 2005 at 11:42 PM
Oh wow, more stunning stuff to play with and add variety to my sim ladies.

*♥.¸Here we go again .♥*
Instructor
Original Poster
#14 Old 25th Sep 2005 at 11:53 PM
Postal-- Ah, gotcha... well, the nice thing with meshes is, once you get it right, you can easily attach outfits to it, and in the future if you improve on the mesh (.obj) and re-import it to your MESH.package, you'll see the results immediately on any outfits tied to that MESH. So updating a not-quite-right mesh isn't too hard, the groundwork is already there. Tweaking the .obj is the fun part, to me. I look forward to seeing what you come up with!
Test Subject
#15 Old 25th Sep 2005 at 11:55 PM
How does one get the .obj file? I've been grabbing tools for half an hour and yet I haven't found anything about how to export the mesh to .obj...
Instructor
Original Poster
#16 Old 26th Sep 2005 at 12:02 AM
SimPE will do it for you... open the MESH.package in SimPe, then open the GMDC file. Down in the bottom is a Preview area. Make sure the XYZ drop down is set to, well, XYZ, and choose Export off to the left. That's all there is to it!
Test Subject
#17 Old 26th Sep 2005 at 12:04 AM
Thanks for that. I had just figured it out, but I had not changed the XYZ setting. Much better to know I'm doing it right than to be guessing.
Test Subject
#18 Old 26th Sep 2005 at 3:26 AM
Hmm... I've got what I think is a good mesh, but I don't know what to do to hook the clothes textures to it.
Instructor
Original Poster
#19 Old 26th Sep 2005 at 4:28 AM
Re-import the outfit you want to use in Bodyshop, to get a .package file if you haven't already. Then, in your MESH, extract the Resource Node and Shape to a folder (4 files total). Then open your new outfit in SimPe, add the Resource Node and Shape you extracted from your mesh, and reassociate the package with them per Marvine's tutorial. Once the MESH package and the clothing package are in your Downloads/Saved Sims directory, you should be able to see it in BodyShop or CAS.

Hope that helps!
Test Subject
#20 Old 26th Sep 2005 at 4:39 AM Last edited by Postal Blowfish : 26th Sep 2005 at 4:55 AM.
Alright, the only thing I know for sure is ok is the obj I have. I'm not sure what the mesh tool does, so I choose that obj and your existing nude mesh file (extracted) as the "existing mesh" and it creates a file in the same format as that extracted file. Then I replace that file back into SimPE and save that. There are three other objects in the list with it, but I don't change them. Is that normal?

I have the resulting mesh package and the clothing package which is modified with extracted shape and resource node both in the project folder, and when i load it it still looks like it used to.

The part that confuses me is that I altered the obj, used the mesh tool, but it only creates one element of the package. Then I take two elements from that package that are not related to the mesh element and add those to another package. It seems like that those two (shape and cres) havent changed at all...

I'll try moving my files around to the download folder and see if that works.

edit: do i need to readd all four files to the clothing package that were extracted for the two elements from the mesh?

edit2: i've hit a wall. I did about 2/3 of the breanna tutorial (the parts that were relevant), which covered what you suggested. i must be missing something. oh well...
Instructor
Original Poster
#21 Old 26th Sep 2005 at 4:56 AM Last edited by Warlokk : 26th Sep 2005 at 5:19 AM.
You seem to be missing a few steps along the way, and converting your .obj to a .simpe is necessary to make the new mesh work. Here's a bit I sent to someone else to get them through the meshing process... maybe it'll help:

"Basically, the very first thing you should be doing is creating a brand spanking new unique MESH file using Maxis defaults. In Brianna's tutorial, this is the part where you go into each of the files in Sims3D (03 thru 06) and export the bits associated with whatever you're trying to modify. To make my life easy, I created a project folder, then created subfolders named each of hte Maxis parts I was going to build on, ex AFTopNude_normal, AFBodyNaked, AFBottom_shortskirtshoes, etc. Since the files are all named nice and neat inside the datafiles when you pull them up in Simpe, it's easy to find what you need... but the files SimPE extracts are strings of numbers and letters, so you HAVE to put them in separate folders or your brain WILL explode

So, open \TSData\Res\Sims3D\Sims06.package from your main Sims game directory. These are the GMDC's Maxis made, so you know they're right. Find the body parts or whatever you want to work with, right-click and Extract it to the folder you made to match. Do this for all the parts you want to play with, since you have the file open. Then, go to Sims05.package, same deal... those will be the other GMsomething-something, I forget. Then 04 has the Shapes, and 03 has the Resource nodes, or vice-verse, doesn't matter, just dump 'em all in folders so you can find them, you'll need 'em all.

OK, so you've got a bunch of folders with a bunch of gobbledygook filenames in them, should be 8 each. Now, you need to build some new MESH files. The hard part is done now, the rest is cake.

In SimPe, make a new file. Now, you want to Add all the files in whichever folder matches the bodypart you want to edit. You should end up with a GMDC, Shape, Resource Node, and whatever that other GM-something is. Save the file as MESH_SomethingOrOtherSoICanFindItLater, and make note of where you put it, 'cause this is going to be your new MESH. You can now open the GMDC and check the preview on the mesh, so you know what you're messing with. Make sure the drop down is XYZ, and click Export, and dump out your .obj. Milkshape, Import .obj, edit mesh, Export .obj.

Now here's where I make sure my mesh is OK... I dunno if this is necessary since I really don't understand it, but it works... open the MTS Mesh tool. Open your new .obj. For the Sims Mesh file, what you should do is change it to GMDC, and browse to the original Maxis part you extracted and use that. Then Save it as a .Simpe file, preferably in a project folder you've created for the part you're working on.

Now, back to SimPe... right-click the GMDC, and choose Replace, and grab your .simpe file you just made. Say YES to rebuilding, and click the Preview to make sure it took. Now, this is important, you MUST click the Fix Integrity button at the top. In the window that comes up, replace the word "simpe" with something unique to your mesh, like "TMoS_HugeBoobs" or something. Click the Apply on the right, and it should change all 4 names below to add your bit. OK, and Save. Your new MESH file should be complete. Now, extract the Shape and Resouce Node to pull into the skin/clothing item you want to reference it, 'cause you'll need them for those steps. Save them in the same project file you saved the .simpe file to, so you can find them later.

Once you tie a skin/clothing to the new mesh, once you copy both files to Saved Sims or Downloads (I use Saved Sims for my own stuff), it should appear in Bodyshop or the game."

I think you may be missing the Fix Integrity part in the MESH package once you replace the GMDC, I'm not sure. That makes it a unique mesh and kinda ties everything together. Once you've done that you can export the Resource Node and Shape, pull them into your clothing item, and change the references in there to use them. If the MESH is OK, that should be all that's needed to tie the clothing item to it.

Good luck, it took me a 3-day weekend to get this all sorted out so don't feel bad or anything... this stuff is tough to wrap the brain around, but once it clicks, it's a lot of fun.

Oh, one last thing... make sure in MilkShape you delete any Groups other than the one you need before you export the .obj. Otherwise your mesh will explode in-game
Test Subject
#22 Old 26th Sep 2005 at 5:30 AM Last edited by Postal Blowfish : 26th Sep 2005 at 5:45 AM.
Ugh. It's like they want to torture people who want to mess with these shapes. All I ever really wanted to do was edit the mesh you have so it looks like a person wearing a shirt and not a shirt wrapped around your mesh. I've been at it too long now to want to go back and start over, so I'll wake up fresh and follow your directions tomorrow and hopefully that'll be it.

I appreciate your patience.

edit: Closer inspection of your instructions reveals that indeed I did not click Fix Integrity, but I did verify the correct mesh with the preview window, which is part of the reason i was so boggled by the failure. You'd think, if you see it there, that's what you're gonna get. Guess not.

edit2: since it wasnt consuming, i tried the steps i missed and that didn't seem to help the issue. back to square 1 tomorrow. again thanks for all the help.
Field Researcher
#23 Old 26th Sep 2005 at 7:11 PM
Thank you once again Warlokk.Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

Welcome to The Machine
*(`'·.¸(`'·.¸*¤*¸.·'´)¸.·'´)*
»~:¤.·º`·Pink Floyd.·´º·.¤:~«
*(¸.·'´(¸.·'´*¤*`'·.¸)`'·.¸)*
Test Subject
#24 Old 26th Sep 2005 at 7:21 PM
What can I say? Two sure hits in one go! This will complement beautifully your other set.

Thanks!
Test Subject
#25 Old 26th Sep 2005 at 11:17 PM
Warlokk I was wondering if you could make some default meshes so that i wouldn't have to use certain clothing for the mesh to show up.
Page 1 of 3