Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Oct 2005 at 2:43 PM
Default A Stage
Does anyone have any ideas on how to make a stage on an upper floor?

i have tried modifying a few split stair tutorials but i just can't seem to get it to work. i almost had it by accident it a couple of times, then couldn't level the walls. i am sure this is doable.
Any ideas would be appreciated. thanks
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 4th Oct 2005 at 4:41 PM
do you have an unused level above. You need it to level the walls.
or as you have all addons, you could send it to me, and I could make it split-leveled.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 4th Oct 2005 at 4:54 PM
anelca,

Surely, this is do-able... It sounds you've already got the basic skills. So, I'll just point out the methods.

There're generally 2 ways around it.

The first way (for a splitlevel type of stage):
1. On the floor you wanna build the stage, build 2 levels of default walls.
2. Compress the whole lower level down (as Mikeinside called it a dummy level) to 4-click-high except the areas for the doors if any, by means of either column controls or 3 trials of connecting/modular stairs with the "boolprop constrainfloorelevation false"
3. level the upper level of walls around the door area(s) in any.
Done...

The second way (for an inclined stairway to the stage):
1. Build an extra level of walls (as a dummy level later) on the floor lower than the one your stage will be on.
2. Compress the extra level of walls down to 4-click-high.
3. By mean of column control or 1 trial of connecting/modular stairs with the "boolprop constrainfloorelevation false" to lower the non-stage area by 4-click-high on the floor on where the stage is.
Done...

hope this helps...
Scholar
Original Poster
#4 Old 4th Oct 2005 at 8:44 PM Last edited by anelca : 5th Oct 2005 at 12:40 AM.
FAtD - thanks for the offer but i bulldozed the thing last night, well almost. i might still have the bare shell. and i did have a level above on some tries, but not on others. think i was following every tut i could find
as niol has outlined a couple of methods, i'll have another go because i do quite a bit of building, but feel the properties are getting a bit boring and had an idea which i wanted to try. i want to be able to get reasonably good at it can't mesh or recolour to save my life but i like the building side

thanks niol, i'll have a go at what you suggest.

edit:
No. this is bugging the hell out of me now :/
i have followed the second lot of instructions because i didn't really understand the first, but i just can't get it to work
the stupid thing is i can <see> it in my minds eye, where it makes sense and so forth but can't get it in practice
grrr...so frustrating
Mad Poster
#5 Old 5th Oct 2005 at 11:18 AM Last edited by niol : 6th Oct 2005 at 4:00 PM. Reason: To finish a graphical presentation for the requested explanation
A stage on upper floors is an example of split floors on upper floors rather on the ground.. So, anelca, you may want to add "split floors on upper floors" in the tilte for more info to the readers...

000. Well, yes, the ugly garage house is still here... Yet, we're building a split level or a stage above it for my convienience.

Copyright Issues:
1. This short note is banned to be for any direct or indirect commercial usage.
2. No permission is necessary for redistribution, reformating, media-transformation of this note unless stated.

This a series of graphical presentation for method 1 mentioned in the previous post of mine on this thread.
*A*. To prepare the level compression:

A01. Let's start to build a level of walls. (This will be the compressed level/dummy level, but also the level to hold the door unless the doors are on the higher level[to be shown later at *F*])

A02. Then, build an another level of walls above the former one.

A03. Tile both levels with some tiles you're not gonna use for the lot (for easy replacement or removal later)

A04a. The same step as 3

A04b. The top view of 4

*B*. To start to compress the lower level down to 4-click-high by lowering it thrice with connecting/modular stairs
So, Press "C-Ctrl-Shift" to get the cheat box and type in "boolprop constrainfloorelevation false".
The same technique can be used to make L-shaped, U-shaped, "spiral", or "whatsoever you name it" stairs from the upper level rather than from the ground. (Learn more about that from Raphael's stealth stair tutorials)

B01. Choose a connecting/modular stair to deform the lower level. For every smallest unit of such stair is 4-click-high (in terms of terrain tools) by default, so the non-cursor end of such stair is 4-click-high lower than the cursor end.

B02. By means of using such stair thrice consecutively, we've got the resultant end 12-click-high lowered.

B03a. Now we can level it from that resultant end (which is 12-click-high lowered) to the original height.

B03b. Then the rests...

B03c.

B03d.

B03e.

B03f.

B03g.

*C*. To craft the split floor(s)/ stage(s)

C01a. This's the look after the lower level compression. (for comparison)

C01b. An inner / interior view (Let's move inside.)

C02. Untile the area for the non-stage/ the lower split-levelled areas

C03. By means of "Ctrl-Shift, remove the exterior tiling. (its function is done.)

C04. Paint the walls with different colours and patterns for better visualisation.

*D*. To build walls inside split levelled/staged floor

D01. build a series of walls on the upper floor first (These walls will be above the doors.)

D02. Then, build the same right below the ones shown in step 12. (Now, you see why to build the walls on the upper level first.)(These walls will be for the doors.)

D03. Place the doors and see the twisted/bent walls. You can switch the positions of the twisted walls by means tiling wherever you want the wall to be lowered back by a grid far. (will be shown at part *E*, so move on for now.)

D04. Go up to the second tiling and level the roof.

D05a. The look after the roof levelling

D05b. A lower internal view.

*E* To switch the positions of the twisted walls by means of tiling wherever you want the wall(s) to be lowered back by a grid far

E01. Say, place a tile on a grid of a flat edge to flatten that grid's surrounding grids. This in turn lowers the base of walls down with the flat plain.

E02a. Since the upper parts of the twisted walls have been compressed, when it's pulled down along with its base by step E01, it also brings down its upper base.

E02b. For another angle.

E03. So, let's go up and see the upper base. It's twisted down as expected.

E04. In order to make the walls under look full, level the upper base/tiling/floor

E05. This is the result after the levelling.

E06. Let's see the interior in the stage/split-levelled floor. As you can see that the position of the twisted walls are changed. So, with this method, you can switch the twisted walls wherever you think the best to you.

*F* To make doors on stage or higher split-level
In this way, one can avoid the twisted/bent/distorted walls on split-levelled/stage floor. This is basically to have all the wall segments of the lower level compressed down to 4-click-high.

F01a. Level the unlevelled grids to compress the rest of the compressed level.

F01b. From another angle...

F02. Level the uppermost base back to get back the full wall size for the doors.

F03. Move the doors up.

F04. Tile the higher split-level/stage

F05. Add some connecting/modular stairs

F06. ...and stair handles

F07. and then fences... Well, Maxis black iron stair seems not to be a good choice here, look at the lower floor! :haha:

*G* Tips to decorations

G01. This's gonna be more or less the same as what's shown on the "garage attached to the house-on-foundation.

G02. If you paint it without pattern or shape, it'll look as if a whole piece when the walls are all up

G03. And if with either, whether they look separately or together depends on how you make, choose and/or arrange the wallpaperrs.

End / Fin / Ende
Attached files:
File Type: rar  A Stage on upper floors-splitlevels on upper floors.rar (3.14 MB, 24 downloads) - View custom content
Scholar
Original Poster
#6 Old 5th Oct 2005 at 8:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by niol
While you're experimenting, I'll try to make some graphical illustrations to explain clearer... : ) 1-2 days...

thanks niol that would be really helpful :D

after 4 hours on it last night i had to have a break and created a different property as an interim measure. i just love making buildings.
but i still have this idea that needs sating so your help is much appreciated
Locked thread | Locked by: ThreadMover Reason: Outdated / No Replies