Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Vampire Wants v0.30 Beta (Upd. Oct. 22 2005)

by Xenos Posted 4th Oct 2005 at 7:44 PM - Updated 27th Oct 2005 at 11:10 AM by Xenos

92 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 91 Feedback Posts
Page 1 of 4
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 4th Oct 2005 at 8:11 PM
I would say offhand that, one mod that may conflict with this is the one for changing the pie menue for woohoo to sex as it has a changed wants script in it that replaces one in the wants file.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th Oct 2005 at 9:07 PM
I haven't used that mod, but I think I know the one you are referring to. I'm pretty sure that it accesses the "Wants.package" itself and renames them. (I'll try to play some tonight and do it with that mod installed to see for sure). If that is the case, though, it shouldn't cause a conflict using either method I described above as it only affects the "Trees" portion of the Wants system. The actual names of the wants don't change, all that I changed were the aspirations for which the "Vamps Are Good" and the "Vamps Are Bad" line of wants are triggered.

Again - thanks for the heads up on this. I'll try to give that mod a look-see and be doubly certain, though.

---

I've also posted requests in the modders help forum here for assistance in being able to make this as a stand-alone package that modifies the wants system at runtime via a file in the downloads folder rather than actually editing the master file. I'm not sure if it's possible, though, so I figured I'd release this as it is for now.

X.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 4th Oct 2005 at 10:54 PM
I love this idea, thank you, I'll test it. Now if only someone could stop the "Bleh!!" all the damn time.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 4th Oct 2005 at 11:42 PM
Yeah. That does get annoying.

I am actually hoping to learn about this enough to be able to give an option so that user played sims will have the ability to bite autonomously. (I'm a big fan of chaos factor - there's so much in the game that a player can control, I'm looking for ways to restrict some of that control - on a voluntary basis, of course - something you can easily switch on and off).

Anyway, the reason I brought that up is because once I find the stuff that controls the autonomy (specifically for vampires, but I'm not very clear on it in general, yet, either) I'll also be able to add a switch to turn off the "bleh's" too - at least I hope so.

I'm starting out slowly, though - right now, I'm just editing the XML files that rule the odds of a certain want occurring under certain cicumstances. These are pretty basic if you know XML (which I do). Right now, I'm opening up some of the vampire want triggers during dates. Basically, by default, a sim needs to be a knowledge sim and be mean for vampire wants to trigger. Tonight, I'm going to play for a little while with it set so that the sim doesn't need to be mean (basically, I turned off the personality traits for it) and they can be Knowledge, Romance, or Wealth in order to trigger it. I need to see how it responds for a bit before I release this addition, though.

Anyway, am hoping that during phase 2 of this, I can also help you get rid of your bleh stuff, too.

X.
#6 Old 5th Oct 2005 at 1:08 AM
yo yo-yos
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 5th Oct 2005 at 3:12 AM
I love it I been wanting my vamps to act like vamps and haveing to be a "knowledge sim" just to like being a vamp was getting on my nerves and even then they didnt act like vamps "wanting to bite" or anything like the such Ill test it out

Georgia "..I Couldnt Stop Her..That Was My Sin..And This In MY Punishment"
Tentacle Of Righteousness
#8 Old 5th Oct 2005 at 3:41 AM
Nice work Xenos! looks great. also for vamp lovers, i modded the vampire coffin to improve motives better, as maxis/ea had this set waay too low, in my opinion.
you can check it out here:
http://www.variousimmers.net/vsimfo...read.php?t=2556
the site might be slow, or if you have problems it might be down, for some reason that site is having issues. but i thought i'd let ppl know since it goes along with vamps
Test Subject
#9 Old 5th Oct 2005 at 3:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TorturedShadow2
I love this idea, thank you, I'll test it. Now if only someone could stop the "Bleh!!" all the damn time.

I luv the "Bleh's" that is what makes it fun. They are doing an entire mock-up of the 1950's vampire era!

I do agree with everything you said Xenos, vampires are about sex and power, not just knowledge. I usually only play Romance or Knowledge Sims as they seem to get the best Wants/Fears (in my humble opinion).

Thank you for your efforts.

The human race has improved everything, but the human race.
Adlai E. Stevenson
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 5th Oct 2005 at 4:45 AM
So far so good..lol the "bleh" was funny as hell the first couple times but it got annoying fast. It's great that other simmers share my fasination with vampires and can make something good into something great. I'll keep checking back here for more updates Xenos..you rock :P

Oh I got your mod winter, you're a vamp saver heh and my wannabe goth vamps love ya too.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 5th Oct 2005 at 8:29 AM
Thanks for the positive feedback, gang. I wasn't sure if anyone else was going to be interested in this mod.

Winter - I downloaded that bed the other day, but haven't tried it out, yet as I keep forgetting to turn off my VampireDaytime mod. Am turning that off now and will see how the vamps deal with that.

In respects to the mod mentioned above that changes the names of WooHooing - I didn't install the mod, but I took a quick peek at it, and they don't seem to affect any of the same files - so there shouldn't be a problem. If anyone discovers differently, please let me know.

I've got some new stuff added and wanted to release it this morning, but I've suddenly developed a problem where the "More..." button in all my menus (and ONLY the More Button) is "hard-to-click" in that it sometimes takes many many times to get it to go to the next page of options. I can't see that it could possibly be anything I did, but I do need to track it down before I release the next version - just to be safe.

More later - and thanks again for the positive feedback...

X.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 5th Oct 2005 at 11:27 AM
I must be thick because I cant find the want tree package file. Could someone direct me to it please? I really want this mod, its exactly what I have been looking for. How do you get to that file? Thanks for any help!!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 5th Oct 2005 at 12:05 PM
Erm. Right here:

Quote:
Step1: Go to C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Nightlife\TSData\Res\Wants and copy the "WantTrees.package" file and paste a copy of it somewhere safe - maybe even on your desktop. Being able to find this file again is the ONLY way you will have of going back to your original setup without needing to do a reinstall!

X.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 5th Oct 2005 at 2:02 PM
I should add, too, that it's VERY important for you to read each step and do each one of them PERFECTLY. If you don't, then you're going to have nightmares down the road. Please be sure to read my entire post throroughly - all the info is there and if you miss something, well, things won't be good.

X.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 5th Oct 2005 at 11:38 PM
Thanks, but I cant find it to copy it. That is what my problem is. How do I find that file? I cant find the files to even look for that one. Help?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 5th Oct 2005 at 11:44 PM
It's definitely not something you want to risk messing with at this point if you don't have the computer knowledge to be able to find it. As I said in my post, this mod is a lot more complicated than most of the downloads. Hopefully, I'll be able to figure out how to do it in a proper package file some day soon - though I can't promise it.

X.
Field Researcher
#17 Old 6th Oct 2005 at 4:46 AM
Bonjovibabe, your probly looking by the place that you put your downloads, thats not the right place. You have to go into your C drive (local disk drive). From "My Computer" you click first local disk then then program files then EA Games then folow Xenos directions to get there. It my be slightly diffrent if you don't have Windows EP. But be warned don't try to mess around with those files if you don't know what you are doing.

BtW: This was a very good idea but do you think you could expand it to Pleasure Seeker asperation sims, too?

um... yeah...
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#18 Old 6th Oct 2005 at 10:23 AM
Quote:
BtW: This was a very good idea but do you think you could expand it to Pleasure Seeker asperation sims, too?

I'd thought about that. But, at that point, you end up with almost everyone in the town wanting to be vampires. And I'm really not all that interested in a "free-for-all" type scenario in my game.

You could do it yourself, though. It's pretty easy to mod my mod, actually. If you download the "option 2" files, above, and open the larger of the XML files in a text editor, you'll see a bunch of text describing the wants and if you look, you can see that you can control it by aspiration, personality, and so on. Look for any area where KNO, WEA, and ROM based sims are set to "True" and the others are set to "False" and change the PLE one to "True" as well. And then, look for where the three are set to false and the others are set to true, and switch your pleasure one to false. Then save that file and import it in SimPE according to my instructions above.

---

I'm not all that familiar with modding and am learning this as I go, but my thoughts now are that I'd like to really have it so that personality factors modify the wants, also. So, basically, ANY aspiration MIGHT want to be a vamp and to bite. Family sims would RARELY want to go that way, but if they were mean enough and/or social enough (or something like that) they just might. Knowledge Sims would almost always want to be vamps, but they might not if they are nice enough and shy enough. Or whatever.

It involves making that want tree a heck of a lot more complicated, but I think it's doable. I'll just have to experiment some more.

And, of course, if I can eventually work out exactly how to do this mod with a package file for your downloads folder, then I could probably make a controller that makes the whole thing configurable.

Also, though because these things aren't tied into the wants system in any way that I can see so it might not be possible, it'd also be cool to modify desires based upon things like whether you are attracted to Vamps or not, your attraction level toward the vamp that is going to turn you (or the sim you might potentially bite), and so on. I just don't know if it's doable at this point.

X.
Test Subject
#19 Old 6th Oct 2005 at 10:59 AM Last edited by iguazu : 6th Oct 2005 at 11:16 AM.
That's such a good idea Xenos !!!
The three aspirations pleasure, wealthy and romance should be concerned about it and that's all.
Man, we're talking about vampires !
"Romance" or "wealthy sims" seem not to assume their status and cry ! Damn you're right!
Personaly, the "bleh" 'scream' all the time doesn't bother me. It makes more sense to me even if it's repetitive. It's just something vampires usually do.
Test Subject
#20 Old 6th Oct 2005 at 11:20 AM
P.S. : TorturedShadow2 I love your avatar !!!
I just wanted to say it to you, that I forgot to say it in my previous post.
That's true that vampires are fascinating.
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 6th Oct 2005 at 11:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by moonluck9
Bonjovibabe, your probly looking by the place that you put your downloads, thats not the right place. You have to go into your C drive (local disk drive). From "My Computer" you click first local disk then then program files then EA Games then folow Xenos directions to get there. It my be slightly diffrent if you don't have Windows EP. But be warned don't try to mess around with those files if you don't know what you are doing.

Thank you so much, cuz of you I can find the file now *happy dance*
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 7th Oct 2005 at 6:11 AM
Is it possible that your hack is somehow interfering with this "vampire extension" that allows vampires to bite everyone and not turn them into vampires? It seems that I've lost Bite option from vampire's menu and cant think of any other hack I would have downloaded lately..

http://shaklin.sh.funpic.org/module...ewcat.php?cid=9
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#23 Old 7th Oct 2005 at 2:23 PM
TSN - Nope. I've got that mod installed (in fact, I think I was the first one to request that mod and thankfully, someone translated my request to German so that it'd work). So, it's definitely not that mod. I've also used this with most of the other mods out there like the one that keeps vamps from draining, the comfier coffin, and so on.

Make sure you don't have some older mods that affect the personal menu (unless they've been updated). For example, older versions of the Insiminator will screw it up, the Phone Hack (which is really bad because that one propogates itself automatically in house downloads), and things like that that add options when you click on yourself, another sim, or open ground.

There's a good chance that that's what you've got that's messing you up.

Near as I can tell, my mod won't alter ANY current mods that are compatible with Nightlife. Other folks might make mods that rewrite want trees in the future, but I'm not seeing any out there now...

X.
Test Subject
#24 Old 7th Oct 2005 at 8:44 PM
I think it's awesome! You could try different aspirations for different downloads, that would be cool. I love playing the family aspiration most and than the knowledge followed by pleasure, etc. Though my friend who got Nightlife not too long ago really likes pleasure, just a thought I had to share. Maybe some spiffy looking coffins, but I'd really hate for them to be plus 10 energy and 10 for comfort, they would get up too soon in the daylight. So the stats of them should be fairly low. I suck at this stuff, I just make hair and clothes and even they stink! ^_^
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 8th Oct 2005 at 3:03 PM Last edited by TurboJAzn : 12th May 2007 at 10:14 PM.
Default WantTrees0.30-Seasons
Based on Xenos' 0.30 version, updated for Seasons. Give it a try. Remember to backup the original file first. You do not need to install any previous versions.

Goes into:
drive:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Seasons\TSData\Res\Wants

Based on Xenos' 0.30 version, updated for OFB. Give it a try. Remember to backup the original file first. You do not need to install the Nightlife version as well.

Goes into:
drive:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Open For Business\TSData\Res\Wants
Attached files:
File Type: zip  WantTrees0.30-OFB.zip (989.1 KB, 128 downloads)
File Type: zip  WantTrees0.30-Seasons.zip (1.04 MB, 134 downloads)
Page 1 of 4