Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Oct 2005 at 8:19 PM
Default Unfurnished = ep compatible?
Sorry if this is in the wrong place! I have recenntly started uploading my houses to this site but I was wondering...
If I say that I have all the ep's (those little boxes) even if my house is unfurnished and checked with clean pack, and all cc taken out, does this mean only people with the ep's can download my houses?
I got asked that question on one of my houses threads. And also how do you know what walls etc.. are uni, nl or original?
Someone also download my house and kindly let me know that they have been able to use it with just the original so how did that work?

Spot the newbie!!! :wave:
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 16th Oct 2005 at 2:05 AM
I've never heard of incompatibility caused by wallpaper or tile, but by packaged lot info, EPs' objects and some unknowns. They'll simply not appear in a game version without the EP providing them and have Maxis' defaults to replace them.

Actually, I've been wondering why Maxis didn't think about using base game dafault replacement for EP objects and some lot infos to increase backward-compatibility of lots.

It seems Ep2 has made things easier, I've read more backward-compatiblity for some more lots, or is it just co-incidental due to some other reasons?

Well, just my limited experiences and wild guesses.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Oct 2005 at 4:27 AM
So then an unfurnished house can be downloaded by anyone with any ep or none, right? Well that is what I thought anyway! But when I was asked on my house thread I thought I had better do some researching rather than assuming.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 16th Oct 2005 at 1:45 PM Last edited by niol : 16th Oct 2005 at 2:02 PM.
No, I didn't mean lots made under EP2 must be backward-compatible. There's no proof at all yet, but some lots I've come across lately had someone claimed to be EP2 not required though made under EP2. I meant that more reports on some lots made under EP2 working on non-EP2 made me have an impression EP2 might have improved backward-compatibility. But, that impression can be an illusion.

Unfurnished lots may work, but watch for EP2-based build tools lol...
It really takes downloaders to give out feedbacks o know and test out things.

From all of my limited experiences, lots shows up non-matching price at neighbourhood are crash-prone. However, lots showing the matching price does mean it's not crash-prone. Just my :2cents:
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 17th Oct 2005 at 6:35 PM
Oh I understand, well that's good anyway for those with the original only, thanks for the info.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 11th Nov 2005 at 9:58 AM Last edited by niol : 8th Dec 2005 at 6:01 PM.
Default Just a few tests on compatibilies of lots under different game versions.
It seems that even empty lots from a system with EP02-NL will crash the base game in the neighbourhood mode in my recent tests.

However, EP1 lots with level numbers > 5 may still be playable in the base game. The presence of EP1 objects in a lot will crash the base game when accessed and played or built, but may remain stable in the neighbourhood mode.

kasi,
I've tried your Oct 14th and Oct 1st Lots, but both crashed my base game even at neighbourhood mode just like the empty lots.

Update:
It also seems that even empty lots from a system with EP02-NL will crash the UNI game in the neighbourhood mode when accessed.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 8th Dec 2005 at 10:19 AM Last edited by Pistachio : 29th Jun 2006 at 7:11 PM.
We were told by Maxis that "Definitively - no. Houses made with EP's installed are not back-compatible, they will require the EP's because of the game engine changes".
Mad Poster
#8 Old 8th Dec 2005 at 5:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Pistachio
We were told by Maxis that definitively no houses made with EP's installed are not back compatible, they will require the EP because of the game engine changes.

With the structure of the statement, it seems it really meant "We were told by Maxis that definitively no houses made with EP's installed are ["not" deleted] back compatible, they will require the EP because of the game engine changes"

Nonetheless, I'm building some lots from EP1 with levels > 5 under the base game... Can you explain it? Can you give out some of your experiences that contradict the experiences I've got so far? Maybe, I've been coming across a few exceptions...
On a Radical Sabbatical :)
retired moderator
#9 Old 9th Dec 2005 at 8:12 PM
From my experience:

When I had University only, my lots would work in people's base games. But this was only true in cases where no University objects were used while building/furnishing the lot.

The problem is, Nightlife installation completely overwrites the core game system files (University didn't do that). So even an empty lot packaged with Nightlife will crash the base game and University.

Lots created with University, however, ARE playable in the base game -- assuming that no Univeristy objects are used in the lot. If a single University object exists, it will crash the base user's game.

At the moment we are trying to put our lives in order. But this is not an end in itself. Our real purpose is to fit ourselves to be of maximum service to God and the people about us. -- The Big Book

I will be inactive indefinitely.
Blog
Mistress of architectural mishaps
retired moderator
#10 Old 11th Dec 2005 at 8:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tkdjunkie
From my experience:

When I had University only, my lots would work in people's base games. But this was only true in cases where no University objects were used while building/furnishing the lot.

The problem is, Nightlife installation completely overwrites the core game system files (University didn't do that). So even an empty lot packaged with Nightlife will crash the base game and University.

Lots created with University, however, ARE playable in the base game -- assuming that no Univeristy objects are used in the lot. If a single University object exists, it will crash the base user's game.

tkdjunkie, I think it is important to gather info about this particular problem, cause a lot of people request non EP versions of NL or UNI lots.

I doesn't make a whole lot of sense building non EP versions if they don't work.

Maybe it would be wise to put up a sticky somewhere mentioning what information we have and maybe add what people have experienced .

Thanks for looking into this
nengi65 :moose:

Retired from Simming
retired moderator
#11 Old 13th Dec 2005 at 5:41 PM
Per nengi65's request, this thread is now "stickied"

At the moment we are trying to put our lives in order. But this is not an end in itself. Our real purpose is to fit ourselves to be of maximum service to God and the people about us. -- The Big Book

Blog
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 21st Dec 2005 at 5:14 PM
Quote:
If I say that I have all the ep's (those little boxes) even if my house is unfurnished and checked with clean pack, and all cc taken out, does this mean only people with the ep's can download my houses?

Nightlife has added new lot sizes. I'm not sure what would happen if such a lot is packaged and installed at a game without it.

And about the forum, the last 3 options (original, university or nightlife) are restrictive. Something marked only as original and not as university or nightlife (or original and university, but not nightlife) is something designed to work at the base game or with certain expansions, but that later expansions have made it not work anymore or work in a wrong or risky way, or conflict with other objects, etc. Usually a hack or a hacked object.

Something marked as University or Nightlife but not at previous versions is something that is made with something provided by those expansions, and needed for the game to be able to recognize the new download. Guitars or cars would be like this. It would also apply to hacks or hacked objects that call certain features or script codes from the expansions, even if not the object itself.

On the other hand, something marked as "all" is something that should work with any combination of base game and expansions available: first game alone, game and university, game and nightlife, or the 3 of them

Quote:
I got asked that question on one of my houses threads. And also how do you know what walls etc.. are uni, nl or original?

Check the collections. Both expansions have a collection of all the new things added by it. Get the name of the wall or floor you want to know, scroll the collections to see if they appear there: if they don't it has come with the original game.

Or perhaps, if you pretend to check that on a usual basis, you can start your own collection and include in it all the things that will work with everything, and then take the things from here

And this last time looking back I'll see my home, for she awaits me reaching for my soul. She calls my name, and waves me on. The fallen one, she stands in flames
Instructor
#13 Old 22nd Feb 2006 at 12:32 PM
well i have been trying to find info about this. So i asked ea the question & here's what i got.
WHAT I ASKED:
i built a house with nightlife installed. What i need to know is will this house cause problems for anybody that has only got the sims2 base game installed and no expansion packs.
WHAT THEY SAID:
Hello,

Thank you for contacting Electronic Arts. I’m sorry for the difficulty that you are having with The Sims 2 Nightlife game.

I'm sorry but we do not support any Custom Contents to any of our games as they can often cause issues that would not occur had these Custom Contents not been implemented. If a Custom Content has been implemented that caused your game to not function correctly, we recommend you uninstall the game, delete any files you may have added to the game folder or modified and reinstall the game.

If you did not find the answer to your question on our website, there is a wealth of information available on the Internet. If you go to your favorite search engine and do a search for the game along with codes, hints, and walkthroughs, you may find what you are looking for. One such website is called Game FAQs (www.gamefaqs.com).

Should you require further assistance about this or any Electronic Arts games in the future please visit our website and review our extensive Self Help knowledgebase (http://support.ea.com)
Not really helpfull is it?
perhaps they dont know the answer themselves.
i never said anything about custom content in the question so wheres the problem

and if they dont support custom content can someone explain why they allow custom stuff onto the official sims2 site. in with the houses etc they host.

Please dont upload my creations to paysites.
But please feel free to use
ANY other way you like

Instructor
#14 Old 23rd Feb 2006 at 12:19 AM
sadly it seems that lots built with nighlife will not work with the base game as ferrarifanatic has tested a lot here:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthre...488#post1074488

sorry if i'm bumping this thread but i thought it was relevant.

ANY other way you like

retired moderator
#15 Old 23rd Feb 2006 at 12:22 AM
Nightlife changes the core game files when it installs. So if you have Nightlife installed, then ALL of your lots will require Nightlife. There is nothing you can do to make it base-compatible.

If you have University, then your lot can be base-compatible as long as you don't use University objects.

Blog
Instructor
#16 Old 23rd Feb 2006 at 7:45 AM
tkdjunkie
perhaps then it should be that any creators taht have created lots, should be warned to catagorise the creations correctly and not to select all if built with nightlife. otherwise people are going to keep comeing back with problems like the lot doesnt work and help me please type threads

ANY other way you like

Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#17 Old 23rd Feb 2006 at 12:14 PM
Creators *are* being warned -- the instructions for uploading lots are clear and unambiguous. But people are still spreading the myth, I don't know why. Wishful thinking?

Maybe it would be good to turn tkdjunkie's last post into a separate sticky as it contains the differentiation between Uni and NL in a couple of short, simple sentences that everyone ought to be able to understand ... ?
Mad Poster
#18 Old 23rd Feb 2006 at 2:50 PM
Lol, that's probably not all people read about things they should know about even when they're already suggested to read, probably just unaware that can be a problem for sharing. Penalising an uploader becasuse of that does not sound nice either coz it takes feedbacks or reports from download-users or those willing experimenters with those game versions to help confirm .or clearify the known issues.

As for Maxis's response, forget it, it sounds like a joke to itself, too. Didn't Maxis release the stupid bodyshop and its buggy HCP for people to make their custom contents? Yet, I fully understand that they can't hold any responsibility on the usage of certain custom contents. But their reply is kinda irrelevant to the question. They could have set some default replacement settings for backward-compatibility. Seemingly, they want you to buy their EPs so much by dropping it "accidentally".
retired moderator
#19 Old 28th Mar 2006 at 7:16 AM
Does anyone know or has heard of incompatibility issues with OFB - meaning:
Would a house built with OFB installed (but no OFB content used) work for people
that have original, UNI and NL or is it likely to crash the game?

I'd really like to know or maybe find a volunteer (victim) to test this.
I have all EP's, so my victim should have UNI and NL only

Anyone willing to test please post here. Thank you.

Retired from Simming
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#20 Old 28th Mar 2006 at 8:22 AM
I can be a guinea pig, nengi =) I only have NL.
retired moderator
#21 Old 28th Mar 2006 at 3:34 PM Last edited by nengi65 : 29th Mar 2006 at 11:13 AM.
Thanks Plasticbox for being my guinea pig

I attached a TEST lot ( built with UNI, NL and OFB installed) for you and other volunteers to download and test in your game.
It's nothing special really, a 2x2 lot with a few TEST walls on it!

Who can test this:

Anyone who has got original game, UNI and NL or original game and NL but not OFB installed.

If you don't have NL don't download as we already know that it will crash your game!

This is the question we would like to find an answer to:

Would a house built with OFB installed (but no OFB content used) work for people
that have original, UNI and NL or is it likely to crash their game?

Please post what you have experienced here!
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  OFB Test Lot.rar (161.3 KB, 25 downloads)
Mad Poster
#22 Old 29th Mar 2006 at 9:06 AM
Just an add-in, so the lot also has no UNI object?
plasticbox can only tell if TS2-NL can handle a TS2-UNI-NL_OFB lot without UNI and OFB object. coz I assume UNI is necessary for a lot with UNI objects not to crash the game in the first place.

Also, I'll assume lots made from TS2-OFB will crash TS2 and TS2-UNI the way as NL does. Anyone wanna prove my assumption is false, please?

Can anyone help check if OFB overwrites TS2 and NL files, please? I'm still indecisive whether I can re-use the same game folders for different game versions, here TS2-NL and TS2-NL-OFB by means of different user accounts.
TS2 and TS2-UNI sharing the same file system sounds workable like that, anyone has tried that?
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#23 Old 29th Mar 2006 at 9:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by niol
Just an add-in, so the lot also has no UNI object?
plasticbox can only tell if TS2-NL can handle a TS2-UNI-NL_OFB lot without UNI and OFB object.

nengi knows that (I'm very much under the impression that she can read =). There are only walls on the lot, according to her post.
retired moderator
#24 Old 29th Mar 2006 at 11:03 AM
I did attach a screenshot of the lot - see my post above...
I contains walls and a floor that came with the base game.

as far as we know:

Originally Posted by tkdjunkie
From my experience:

So basically I want to find out if OFB will crash the game for people that have NL but not OFB...

Retired from Simming
Mad Poster
#25 Old 29th Mar 2006 at 3:46 PM Last edited by niol : 29th Mar 2006 at 4:37 PM.
I'm really sorry.. I really didn't mean that...

I've to apologise for my confusing question and statements in the first place coz I was just suddenly wondering..
What I was actually wondering is if a lot from TS2-UNI-NL without any UNI visible content will be compatible to TS2-NL. This seemingly has a parallel relationship (in terms of UNI) to the case from TS2-UNI-NL-OFB to TS2-NL.

I still don't know if the installation of NL will affect UNI-compatibility to other game versions withiout it.

After all, this may be a question only when the lot doesn't work in TS2-NL. If the lot does, I'll assume both questions are answered.
Locked thread | Locked by: ThreadMover Reason: Outdated / No Replies
Page 1 of 3