Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Garlic. Selectively protect your sims from vampires

by almecho Posted 20th Oct 2005 at 4:03 PM - Updated 21st Oct 2005 at 11:14 AM by almecho : Updated compatibility section.

36 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 35 Feedback Posts
Page 1 of 2
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 20th Oct 2005 at 4:10 PM
lol!!! SWEETTT thanks :D

To all those interested in Draco and Hermione fics, please visit this site and leave a little review http://www.fanfiction.net/~hellish
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 20th Oct 2005 at 4:38 PM
Thank you so much for this...I was getting annoyed when sims I did not want to be vamps were getting bitten *sigh*

AE: Does this conflict with the other Jack Skelleton doll?
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 20th Oct 2005 at 4:40 PM
Awesome! A well thought out hack and very logical too.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.
The Quiet One
retired moderator
#5 Old 20th Oct 2005 at 5:08 PM
Hey there,

This is considered an object mod because you have to buy the object for it to work. Global mods do not require any intervention other than putting the file in Downloads. So, I'll be moving this.

Daysies

DDO
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 20th Oct 2005 at 5:46 PM
Actually if I'm reading the first post correctly, this IS a global mod because having it in your download directory prevents NPCs from being bitten, whether you buy the object and place it on a lot or not.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 20th Oct 2005 at 6:33 PM
Anyone know where do vampires appear?

Quote:
Life's a mountain,every single person climbs it,and you have to find the right stones to climb the mountain faster.The mountain never ends,and at all,every single person is equal of their values.Bill Gates' value and rights are just same of a Somalian boy.

©Me
Test Subject
#8 Old 20th Oct 2005 at 7:07 PM
Erm ,question, (partly beacuse I'm stupid!)

Does this mean townies and downtownies cant be bitten, or just NPCs?

Thanks btw, great mod!

"Birdie, birdie, in the sky, why'd you do that in my eye? Looks like sugar, tastes like sap. OMG! IT'S BIRDIE CRAP!"

Excuse me... have you seen my sanity... I think I lost it.
The Quiet One
retired moderator
#9 Old 20th Oct 2005 at 9:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pearlbh
Actually if I'm reading the first post correctly, this IS a global mod because having it in your download directory prevents NPCs from being bitten, whether you buy the object and place it on a lot or not.

It is kind of confusing. Maybe you have to buy it on a res lot? Well, if the creator sees these comments, he/she will clarify.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 20th Oct 2005 at 10:54 PM
I think he means that basically on it's own ( if the Jack doll isn't actually placed on a lot ) then the file just acts like a global mod that prevents NPC's being bitten ( much like Jfade's Vampiresnobitenpc hack at DJSsims ) . But if you place it on a lot you can also give ( or take away ) ' garlic ' to individual sims on a sim by sim basis to prevent , say , your favourite sims being bitten by vampires while leaving the others without garlic as fair game for the vampires
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 20th Oct 2005 at 11:10 PM
Sorry for any confusion daysies but I felt this was a global mod as Jack is simply there to provide a way to selectively over-ride the default bite behaviour.

The first part of the hack alters the bite test behaviour to always disallow NPC's from being bitten (I had to do this as the djs hacks that do this alter the same test) and takes effect whether you have Jack on a lot or not. (Global Hack)

Rather than changing the Sim pie menu and putting the options there (to avoid conflicting with other hacks), Jack is simply provided as a medium for sims to obtain their garlic. Once sims have garlic (A new unique token) from Jack, then the hack goes further to over-ride the bite behaviour by testing for the garlic and specifically disallow the biting of that sim as long as they have it. (Think of it like the biological clock in Inteen. The clock itself is an object hack, but it's only there to provide additional configuration to the actual teen woohoo global hack)

I hope this helps.

almecho
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 20th Oct 2005 at 11:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Bruce Banner
I think he means that basically on it's own ( if the Jack doll isn't actually placed on a lot ) then the file just acts like a global mod that prevents NPC's being bitten ( much like Jfade's Vampiresnobitenpc hack at DJSsims ) . But if you place it on a lot you can also give ( or take away ) ' garlic ' to individual sims on a sim by sim basis to prevent , say , your favourite sims being bitten by vampires while leaving the others without garlic as fair game for the vampires

Much more elegantly put. It took me forever to type that post and then you beat me to it
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 21st Oct 2005 at 12:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by podgeybean
Does this mean townies and downtownies cant be bitten, or just NPCs?

Townies and downtownies are still fair game, but if you have a favourite townie you can use 'Give garlic to. Neighbourhood View... Townies' menu to give them garlic.

NPC's refers to any in game character that is in the NPC or default family like service NPC's, the poly tech, grim reaper, Mrs Crumplebottom, etc. At the moment they can't be bitten and as a result you can't give them garlic either as there wouldn't be any point.

I will be expanding this functionality to provide further global options like allowing regular NPC's to be bitten (except critical ones like Mrs Crumplebottom) in a future release.
Instructor
#14 Old 21st Oct 2005 at 3:30 AM
I have a hack that prevents autonomous biting on community lots by jfade. I was wondering if such a mod would conflict w/this particular mod?

And if it would, would it be possible to have a object only version of this mod w/out the global part?
Test Subject
#15 Old 21st Oct 2005 at 7:53 AM
Why not just make Garlic a buyable item, like at the grocery store, and let sims carry it in your inventory. Makes it seem less like a hack then. As a side effect make it give the sim an effect like BO while it's in his inventory.

Just a thought.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 21st Oct 2005 at 11:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by idtaminger
I have a hack that prevents autonomous biting on community lots by jfade. I was wondering if such a mod would conflict w/this particular mod?

And if it would, would it be possible to have a object only version of this mod w/out the global part?
Unfortunately this does conflict with jfade's nobite series of mods as we are modifying the same test so you can't have them both installed at the same time.

I will be adding the ability for Jack to exclude biting on either community lots, residential lots or both in the next release so that you can choose which behaviour you want and will be an option in a new global menu.

Quote: Originally posted by sonar
Why not just make Garlic a buyable item, like at the grocery store, and let sims carry it in your inventory. Makes it seem less like a hack then. As a side effect make it give the sim an effect like BO while it's in his inventory.

Just a thought.
and one that I have both already had and like a lot. I agree that it would make it feel more 'natural' to simply have them carrying garlic rather than interacting with Jack and will also be available in a later release, either as a buyable object or something you get from the gypsy.

I wanted to get the logic in the tests working reliably and rule out any possible bugs or issues with the garlic concept first, then create the actual garlic object for inventories later.

It won't be happening immediately but make sure you watch this space. I'm actively monitoring the thread and welcome any questions or suggestions as this hack develops.
Test Subject
#17 Old 21st Oct 2005 at 6:12 PM
YESSSS! Thanks So much!

~Blood Tears of an Angel~
Test Subject
#18 Old 21st Oct 2005 at 6:17 PM
Thanks for answering my question! I did have that djsvampiresnobitenpcs, but it wouldnt work in my game for some reason! Thanks for this, as this one works!

"Birdie, birdie, in the sky, why'd you do that in my eye? Looks like sugar, tastes like sap. OMG! IT'S BIRDIE CRAP!"

Excuse me... have you seen my sanity... I think I lost it.
Field Researcher
#19 Old 22nd Oct 2005 at 6:38 PM
I like the sound of this, especially when you adapt it to allow some NPC's to be bitten. Before I restarted Pleasantview I had a matchmaker and a waiter bitten - although I loved the idea of a vampire matchmaker selling vampirism cures, unfortunately both she and the waiter acted like regular townies after that, although they were still marked as NPC's in SimPE. At least stopping them being bitten stops the game generating new ones to take their place ... however, I would like the choice because it is my ultimate goal to have a vampire nanny (preferably without cheating!).

Going to be ages before I need it anyway, I will need to go through all the boring process of building-up a friendship with a vampire now (prefer to do it without cheating, it's more fun, but so S-L-O-W).

WHY DO SIMS NEVER EXPERIENCE A MID-LIFE CRISIS?
Test Subject
#20 Old 25th Oct 2005 at 12:21 AM
Gr8
This hack is gr8. Well thought out. I rated it 5*. It will work gr8 in my game. LOL and happy simming. :cdance:

Does anybody understand simish? Well, I do. The closest word to the English language in simish is bottle. Only there is a "d" sound. LOL and happy simming.
Scholar
#21 Old 29th Oct 2005 at 6:26 AM
If I change my mind about having this hack in my game, and remove it from the downloads folder, what happens to the garlic any SIMS may have in inventory? Does it just disappear with no repercussions with gameplay?
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#22 Old 29th Oct 2005 at 6:44 AM
Yes. Your game should be fine. The garlic isn't in their inventory.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#23 Old 29th Oct 2005 at 8:32 AM
There shouldn't be any effects at all once the download is removed. Your sim doesn't actually "hold" a piece of garlic in their inventory, but rather there is an invisible piece of garlic out there that has your sims name on it.

Once the hack is removed, the garlic simply ceases to exist.
Scholar
#24 Old 30th Oct 2005 at 6:42 AM
Cool! Thanks so much for answering my question and Almecho thanks for making this item and sharing it with everyone.
Test Subject
#25 Old 30th Oct 2005 at 8:39 PM
Sweet. Thanks a lot. I've had about 5 sims bit by vampires so far in my game, and vampires scare the life outta me, so this will help... I hope.

I ♥ Gir!
GOT GIR?
I do!

I lost my sanity. Can I borrow yours?
Page 1 of 2