Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Fix for misplaced restocking signs in OFB? Probably NOT...

by Numenor Posted 17th Apr 2006 at 6:35 PM - Updated 3rd May 2006 at 7:26 PM by Numenor

61 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 60 Feedback Posts
Page 2 of 3
#26 Old 27th Apr 2006 at 3:30 AM
I did the suggested cheat thing to delete the misplaced signs but when I tried shift right click it didn't work, and when I did shift left click I got the options to fake restock, force error and something else.

I checked and double checked the stuff I entered in the cheat and its exactly what was written here. Any suggestions?
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#27 Old 27th Apr 2006 at 8:16 AM
You did everything right; in fact, the "Force Error" is exactly the option you have to choose. When you click it, an error window will pop up, offering you the chance to "Delete" the object.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 27th Apr 2006 at 3:43 PM
I'm sorry to report that I'm still getting misplaced restock signs.

I deleted and replaced all the old shelves and products on them, which improved the situation a great deal, but not 100%.

I've noticed that now only custom items (of various sizes) are being misplaced.

I'm using the "more" shelf hack.

Hope this helps!

...One thing I haven't done, come to think of it, is start with a completely fresh lot and test from there. Hmm, I think I'll go do that...

Support a hungry coyfox (me!). Buy some wonderful flavored tea: Coy o'Teas

*10% goes to environmental causes*
Test Subject
#29 Old 27th Apr 2006 at 7:16 PM
Numenor!! They're on to you!!!

Quote:
Author: SimMasterRalph - Rank: Voluble VIP - View MySimPage Profile
Date: Apr-27-06 10:03 AM PDT
Subject: Re: I am tired of EA/Maxis ruining my Sims Experience....a rant by Twain.

Remember to be civilize in here.
Ranting is permitted up to a certain point and if it is a valid complaint, it can be allowed. Do not make it personal.

Now remember that the extracted code is not supported by Maxis; even though it was extracted from FFS. The code may have been used to support FFS and not OFB alone. Also under the legal agreement, this type of extraction and redistribution may not be allowed. I've passed this onwards to Maxis for review.

Meanwhile, Twain1202, I would suggest you remove the link from your post until further notice.

Thank you,
Ralphael

Take a cruise on the Sims2 Cruise Ship. Click View MySimpage to download.

Reply to message Back to top

Something very strange is going on at Maxis HQ...
Instructor
#30 Old 27th Apr 2006 at 7:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
EDIT TO ADD:
After having double checked, I noticed that the lines in the BHAV removed with the FFS were added by the OFB patch recently released!
I'm absolutely clueless: why adding those lines in the patch, just to remove them in the FFS? Whas it made by mistake? :confused:

At a guess—the FFS codebase started from OFB pre-patch, and this "fix" doesn't do anything.

Which is also what I get from testing.
Test Subject
#31 Old 30th Apr 2006 at 1:37 PM
Here's a kicker. I never had any lost signs.....until I d/l the "More, Lock tiles" but just on one shelf. And it WAS a Maxis item on the shelf. Then tried it with custom items, same thing. So I took out the "More, Lock tiles" package and it happened only once. But I do need to play a little bit more to know for sure. The only hacks I have are Squinge's about buy faster, no shop fights, etc. I didn't have hacks that deal with the shelves. I have had my OFB five weeks. I do have the Maxis patch, from day one. I don't see why my game play changed until after I d/l the "more/locked tiles" and business was BOOMING . OH, and is it normal for the moved restock signs, once you restock, the item doesn't show up? I paid for 14 radios and didn't get a one.

ironMaiden
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#32 Old 30th Apr 2006 at 3:10 PM
I guess that you just were lucky, so far. Me too, play constantly with the More hack and I never have any misplaced signs, but this doesn't mean that the problem doesn't exist...

and yes, it's normal that when you restock the misplaced sign the object doesn't appear in game: the only thing you can do with misplaced signs is to remove them using this method

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#33 Old 30th Apr 2006 at 4:11 PM
RandomNameHere - Thanks for letting me know. I never browse the BBS...
I took the chance to express my opinion on the BBS:
http://bbs.thesims2.ea.com/communit...23faf80937ad73c

Test Subject
#34 Old 1st May 2006 at 6:15 AM Last edited by ironMaiden : 2nd May 2006 at 7:50 PM.
Numenor, thank you for all you do for us to make our game play much nicer.

I did remove that restock signs as stated in this thread #19. I removed the "More/Locktiles" and played for 3 Sim days and stayed at the stored for about 12 hours each day. No missing restock signs! There is custom objects, but they are on tables and on the floor. I seperated my Maxis shelves by one tile. Have not had any trouble with this business.

Don't try to explain to me coz I won't understand, but I was just wondering why I don't have restock sign trouble? I am going to D/L the "Less/Locktiles" and see how that plays.

Thank you for all of your help. And thanks for sharing the things you find!

ironMaiden

(24 hours later) Numenor, you ARE the ModFather! After doing much research, I did not d/l again. Instead, I followed your tutorial to batch fix your d/l's by Numenor AND it WORKED! And I came from the era when in HS typing class we (20+ students) used to fight over who got one of the 3 ELECTRIC typewritters! Computers were not heard of, so if you can teach me to do this correctly, any one can do it! MAAAAWAAAHH (kissing Numenors forhead) Thank You! One question, I have the Hacked Fruit Bowl (or Vase) by Ailias Ailias Hacked Fruit Bowl and it has always bugged me that it has to sit on the floor. Using your tutorial, I did select it and it will now sit on the maxis shelves, but I still can't get it to sit on a counter or table. Can you please tell me how I can change that? I just d/l SimPE to do your tutorial, so it is all still new to me. Thank you so much for your help and your time!
Lab Assistant
#35 Old 3rd May 2006 at 7:04 PM
Hello Numenor,
I'd just like to report some progress with this fix. I only got tthe chance to play the game a few days ago, and tried playing with 6 businesses. I have the more-mod and this fix. I had the misplaced signs once so far, it was a playsatation-thingie(maxis item) and it was sitting on its own on a shelf. It disappeared a while later, and the sign was at the far end of the lot. So I deleted like you suggested, and the problem hasn't happened since. I placed the same item again from catalog on the same shelf, no problems. I haven't played too much though but I haven't had so many misplaced signs as I did before. I think it's a lot-related bug. Before I used this fix some of my lots were real buggy, while others were fine. By the way, the last incident happened on a community lot owned by my sim. Don't know if this info helps Oh and something else, the same lot had a problem in raising wages for employees or for items. It wasn't the normal 25% above or anything for the prices. If the item was expensive, very expensive or verry cheap the price was alway 25above catalog prices (not 25% just 25, and it was written stuck to the "above" word like I wrote in this sentence).
I'll play again tonight to see if that has changed since I exited. Like I said, I suspect it's just a buggy lot.
See ya!
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#36 Old 3rd May 2006 at 7:23 PM
Thanks Blubug for your report, though I'm every day more convinced that this "fix" has nothing to do with the Restock Sign Bug. The cause of this bug (and the fix) I'm afraid is much more complex that this little fix suggests...

Your idea that the bug might be related to particular lots instead that particular objects is very interesting!

Forum Resident
#37 Old 3rd May 2006 at 7:25 PM
actually, the firt time i got it was with FFS installed.
Lab Assistant
#38 Old 3rd May 2006 at 7:48 PM
I guess that proves another point, FatD.
And numenor, I'm gonna keep this fix in my game until maxis releases a patch that will really fix it. (even then I'll be afraid to try it if if screws up the game :D)
If I get the disappearing signs again, I'll be back. I'll also make a note of which lot it's on, in case I start getting too many on the same lot :D

I also read that looong thread at the BBS (I hate BBS and the silly signatures), I also think you're doing nothing wrong by extracting this code. If it's a copyright issue, you've made clear you will remove this fix. Other than that, they should try getting off their fannies and make a fix for this asap, because this is the biggest problem that is in the center of the OFB expansion. If we're not gonna be able to buy stuff properly in the game, why buy OFB- for the ridiculous outfits!?
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#39 Old 3rd May 2006 at 10:25 PM
You've read the whole thread?! You brave! BTW, you can set your BBS profile so that the signatures are NOT displayed! I've discovered this only recently (i.e. the third time in my life I connected to the BBS... )

Lab Assistant
#40 Old 3rd May 2006 at 11:37 PM
Yep, that was also my 3rd time (not counting the 3 times I tried to search for problems I was having and trying to see if others were having it) I feel my life is wasted minute by minute weeding through some of those signatures, (and some of the intelligence-lacking posts) if I ever attempt to go back again, I'm editing my profile. period. I wish I could edit my profile so I don't have to read some of the stupid posts in child-L33T. Anyway, going off topic.
Still no problems to report! LOL
Test Subject
#41 Old 5th May 2006 at 9:02 PM
I'm sure you know this, but I put this fix in my game. It doesn't work =/
Test Subject
#42 Old 16th May 2006 at 2:06 AM
I don't know if anyone else has experienced this or not, but here is an FYI. Just for background, I have all of the expansion packs, yes I have FFS too. I was, did, and have experienced the misplaced restocking signs, even though I have FFS. So what ever is in it that was supposed to fix the "bug" didn't. But Numenor, God of all things sim, has found a way to aleviate the problem. Thank you again for a bug fix.

I had an out of body experience the other day. Actually I liked it so much I didn't go back. Eternal Free Spirit
I want to be a sim and live in my game forever.:)
It's called 'Common Sense", so why do so few people have it? ;p
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#43 Old 6th Jun 2006 at 7:58 AM
Well, I thought I'd go ahead and report my experience with it...

I don't play much but I saw the incredible decorative bakery set and had to have it - and I had to immediately start building a bakery with them. The maker says the objects can't go into the coolers without moveobjects on - which is definitely the case. I tried batch fixing everything and they still require moveobjects on to go in (I'm guessing because they're classed as decorative, not food). However, after batch fixing and after trying this hack (I don't have either of your "More" or "Less" hacks currently installed, nor many other hacks and nothing I think would cause any interference), those objects moveobjects'd into the coolers still had the restock sign issue.

So, I decided to do a bigger test - I laid out the tall shelves, short shelves, end tables, and coolers. Into/onto each I placed one of the set I linked to, another custom item, and a Maxis item - and did two copies of each set... one set placed with moveobjects on, one without... with the exception of the coolers, which would not allow the objects to be placed inside without it.

The result of my quick test... Every object sold and restock signs stayed where they needed to be except for everything (Maxis, both custom objects) in the coolers. Those particular signs jumped, none of the other objects placed with moveobjects on had any problem - their restocking signs are fine.

I have every EP and pack except FFS - I don't think I've patched OfB after my last reinstall.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#44 Old 6th Jun 2006 at 8:12 AM
Thanks for the report!
The fact that only the stuff in the cooler have problems doesn't surprise me, though: it's not the moveobject cheat that causes the misplacement, but rather that an object is placed where it shouldn't (i.e. a decorative object into a cooler).
More in general, the restocking sing is misplaced whenever the game tries to snap it into the empy slot in the shelf/cooler, and the snapping is not successful (because the slot can't accept that type of object, or is too small for that object, or cant bear the weight of the object, and so on).
What still is not comprehensible is why sometimes the sign is misplaced even if there are no apparent reason for that (for instance, when the bug affects Maxis objects placed without any cheat on Maxis shelves).
Sooner or later, we'll work it out, I hope...

world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#45 Old 6th Jun 2006 at 8:23 AM
Just a thought I had, just wondering if such a thing would be possible (barely knowing my backside from a BHAV)...

Could a hacked version of the coolers be created that do not have the "must be food to be placed inside" requirement? Whether such a thing could be modded off of the coolers themselves, or if one would have to clone from something else and then modify it to have the same surface heights/slots as the coolers and look like them and take the same recolours and suchlike I don't know... Just a cooler-like object that wouldn't actually keep food fresh like the real ones do. I have no idea if this would avoid the problem, is feasible, or is a stupid idea. :D

Obviously wouldn't avoid the continuing inexplicable occurrence of it that you mentioned, either way... I haven't experienced that myself (but then, I mostly create, don't really play) but I'll try to watch out for it... I like trying to figure stuff out like that... which you might be able to tell by the fact that I'm testing/reporting instead of playing like I meant to. :D

Still, at least for me thus far in my small test, this and/or the batch fix seems to have stopped the restock sign problem with everything not placed in coolers... Before my reinstall, I had that problem 100% of the time with all custom objects moveobjects'd onto shelves of any type. I didn't NEED to use moveobjects to place them for the test with the batchfix, but either way... I'm getting it a heck of a lot less, so... thank you.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Field Researcher
#46 Old 12th Jun 2006 at 4:37 AM
well, i did the "scan folders" SimPE tut...it did allow me to place custom content in the display cases, but restock signs are still being misplaced (though not all the time). oh well....what i really wanted it to do, it did.

"why everything that's 'posed to be bad make me feel so good???" -kanye west
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#47 Old 12th Jun 2006 at 4:33 PM
The "scan folder" method doesn't prevent the misplaced signs bug: it just make all the custom objects placeable on OFB shelves.
So far, there is no known definitive solution to the misplaced restock signs.

Field Researcher
#48 Old 17th Jun 2006 at 6:23 AM
Lab Assistant
#49 Old 17th Jun 2006 at 11:18 AM
I'm wondering that too... I'm also wondering if I should patch the game right now, and put this fix back in or not
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#50 Old 18th Jun 2006 at 9:24 PM
I've come to the conclusion that this fix doesn't fix anything....

And as far as I know, there isn't any known solution for this bug, yet. I still haven't examined the new patch, but in any case no mention to this bug is found in the patch description.

Page 2 of 3