Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Jan 2009 at 2:20 PM Last edited by pixelhate : 31st Dec 2009 at 8:38 AM.
Default Modding InfoCenter - The Material Definition (TXMT): a visual reference table *Update*
There are countless ways to modify the appearance of an object, simply by tweaking a few settings In SimPE.

In my need to understand the texture section of an object and the different ways to influence it, I came across the idea of an illustrated systematic testing of all the TXMT parameters.

This isn't really a tutorial that explain you things step by step, but more a compilation of information found everywhere on Mts2, with comparative pictures and tests, organised in a hopefully convenient way.
A sort of visual reference table.

- Introduction: covers a few generalities.
- Part 1: Basics settings (texture enabling, mesh test settings, lightning, colouring, glow effect)
- Part 2: Reflection settings (enabling, EnvCube map names & look, adding a custom reflection)
- Part 3: Blend settings (transparency and alpha, blending, additive, glass effect with/without texture)
- Part 4: Texture animations (tile, rotate, scale, translate and UV coordinate)
- Part 5: Bump Map settings (creating bump/normal map, bump enabling a mesh, adding bump map to recolour) + bump tester (see also post#24)

Documents are in PDF format
- part 2 contain a .txt with EnvCube names, a package with texture for custom pearly reflection and a .txt with install instruction.
- part 5 contain a package of a base game object recolour to test Bump/Normal abilities of your computer.

I hope that this work will bring more answers than questions...

Pixelhate. 2009
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Exploring the TXMT Introduction.rar (842.6 KB, 1478 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: rar  Exploring the TXMT part 1.rar (3.98 MB, 1716 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: rar  Exploring the TXMT part 2.rar (4.18 MB, 1833 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: rar  Exploring the TXMT part 3.rar (2.74 MB, 1653 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: rar  Exploring the TXMT part 4.rar (740.5 KB, 1367 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: rar  Exploring the TXMT part 5.rar (1.73 MB, 1371 downloads) - View custom content

Understand Material definition-TXMT and customize the look of your objects ! This way

"The longer something exists in this world, the more wear and tear it will have."
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 25th Jan 2009 at 2:30 PM
Oh! Thank you! This actual might help me with my current problem. You posted it at the perfect time!
Field Researcher
#3 Old 25th Jan 2009 at 2:55 PM
Great Work!!! I can sure use it....Thanks

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Please remember to hit the thanks button, if you like a creator's work or appreciate the effort. It really does mean a lot to the creators. -tbudgett
Forum Resident
#4 Old 26th Jan 2009 at 5:06 PM
Thank you so much!!

If a cluttered desk is the sign of a cluttered mind, then what about an empty desk?

My stuff may be used in uploads if 1. Credit is given, 2. link to my page provided. Happy simming!
McAlli's page
Mad Poster
#5 Old 27th Jan 2009 at 1:36 AM
You, my european friend, are a LIFESAVER. I thought that i'd have to figure it out on my own.

Quick question: If I make an object glow like a lamp (aka not affected by darkness) but give off no light, will a reflective sheen still show up over it, or will the shine be lost in the glow?

"When life gives you lemons, see the lemons, feels the lemons, BE THE LEMONS!"

Take a look-see, hmm...? Go on, click them:
The Super Mario Project, Nintendorks Island-Celebrating 2 Years Online!
Scholar
Original Poster
#6 Old 27th Jan 2009 at 1:50 AM
My pleasure!
Quick answer: glow in the dark (Emissive) + EnvCube will both be shown.
You may need to adjust the settings to obtain the desired effect.

Understand Material definition-TXMT and customize the look of your objects ! This way

"The longer something exists in this world, the more wear and tear it will have."
Mad Poster
#7 Old 27th Jan 2009 at 3:27 AM
ah, thank you. I needed it to both glow in the dark and be shiny, so this will work marvelously.

Mad Poster
#8 Old 27th Jan 2009 at 3:34 AM
next question: can glow be assigned to a sim mesh?

Scholar
Original Poster
#9 Old 27th Jan 2009 at 7:59 AM
I have no idea on that one, you'll have to test and find out... and let me know.
Sorry..

Instructor
#10 Old 27th Jan 2009 at 8:12 AM
Now where is that darn thanks button that I'd like to press over and over again This is going to be an essential reference point for anyone wanting to dabble with the txmts. I know I shall be using your guides ALOT. Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou!
Mad Poster
#11 Old 28th Jan 2009 at 12:30 AM Last edited by Rapsheba555 : 28th Jan 2009 at 6:30 AM. Reason: By George, I think I've got it!
Ah, mais, c'est la vie. Pas de probleme. (I think you speak french? As do I. )

Edit: I THINK i got both of them to work at the same time. *looks* yes, it works. It has to be done on an alpha group, but it works.

Forum Resident
#12 Old 6th Feb 2009 at 1:09 AM
No thanks button?
So, I want to thank you very much for all the great work you put into this exploration! I know this is very useful for creators.
hexameter
Field Researcher
#13 Old 6th Feb 2009 at 2:01 AM
God when I saw this I was so excited!!! I have wanted something like this for so long!!!

I love fiddleing with the material definition and I usually get some hideous colorful thing in the game. LOL!

THANKS SO MUCH!!!

~ ҉ SimArchitect ҉ ~
Test Subject
#14 Old 14th Feb 2009 at 7:43 AM
This is so useful! Thank you very much!
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#15 Old 14th Feb 2009 at 12:03 PM
thank you - I am working on making my own textures so this will be handy

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
The ModFather
retired moderator
#16 Old 15th Feb 2009 at 2:32 PM
Thread moved to the Modding InfoCenter: now there is a "Thanks" button!!! -

*furiously clicks the Thanks button multiple times, though knowing that only 1 thank will be added *

Also, Groovilicious' posts with additional info about the TXMT have been moved back to the TXMT Discussion Thread, as per Pixelhate's request.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Scholar
Original Poster
#17 Old 14th Mar 2009 at 2:32 AM Last edited by pixelhate : 15th Mar 2009 at 12:04 AM.
This thread is not tagged but files are missing.
I have so many different versions that I'm lost on which was uploaded...
Could someone help by attaching or sending me the original rar ? not needed any more
Thanks a lot.

Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#18 Old 14th Mar 2009 at 8:32 PM
The thread is not tagged but it is on our list of missing files =). Also, if you click on the "View Custom Content" link next to the non-existing uploads above, you can still see the exact filenames, sizes and timestamps of everything that was in there -- perhaps that helps you to find the correct version.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Scholar
Original Poster
#19 Old 15th Mar 2009 at 12:01 AM Last edited by pixelhate : 17th Mar 2009 at 11:25 PM.
Well, take it out of the list , I guess it's settle now.
Many thanks to all for the hard work behind the scene !!

Not actually evil.
#20 Old 23rd Mar 2009 at 6:50 AM
The cubes that clearly show the effects of changing certain TXMT parameters are exactly what this kind of tutorial needs, glad to see them. I'll take a closer look later.

Please spay or neuter your pets. --- Cat Music Video! --- my meshes
Forum Resident
#21 Old 26th Mar 2009 at 11:11 PM
Pix! thank you for this! Downloaded! I hope I will be able to make some good object someday and do honour your instructions, even if I must say I learnt to play (a little) with envcube thanks to you ... so, there's a hope maybe?

I create for my amusement. I share for -I hope!- yours :)
Enjoy and ... Happy simming!
Forum Resident
#22 Old 22nd Apr 2009 at 2:16 AM
I know this is a bit late in coming, but thanks, brother. I just recently noticed this tutorial. I had a fair understanding of how the TXMT resource worked, but this really makes clearand concise. Huge thanks, especially for the bit about adding environment cubes to objects that don't have them. Well done, Pix.

I'm no longer active here. My latest creations can be found here:

https://blueheavensims.wordpress.com
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 29th Apr 2009 at 1:54 PM
nice! i have always been interested in the sims 2 engine stuff
Top Secret Researcher
#24 Old 30th Apr 2009 at 1:41 PM
PH --

Here is the recolor I promised for people to check whether they can see bump maps or not. The example picture is included in the .rar

It is yours to do with as you desire.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  BumpExampleForPixelhate.rar (159.2 KB, 70 downloads) - View custom content

Retired from the Sims world. Please continue to enjoy my creations. Thank you to everyone who helped -- by either giving me the tools and knowledge to create or by encouraging me & downloading my creations. The Sims community is the BEST!
Scholar
Original Poster
#25 Old 30th Apr 2009 at 9:52 PM
Thanks ! I've just made something similar with a base game urn. I'll use more of your ideas. I'll contact you soon..

Page 1 of 2